v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Critical Centric Builds

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Critical Centric Builds

Post by Antison »

So let me start with this. I have a level 20 focused around a 2-handed sword feline build using the NotU necklace. My plan is to use the Xul'viir sword.
I already have skill level 2 in Regeneration to negate the effects of the NotU.
My plan is to use level 24 & 28 skill points into Combat Speed. Level 32 & 36 are reserved for Increased Fortitude and Regeneration in order to final get 1 HP/and round regeneration. Maybe I cancel that and grind for a RoLS.

Now with that understood, I'm thinking about the critical centric skills. In the 11 other builds that I have, I've never seriously considered More/Better Critical skills and Internal Bleeding/Fracture because of the monster immunities.

Is a critical centric build worth it?
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
__Demo__
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: Critical Centric Builds

Post by __Demo__ »

Nope I don't think so

Crits deal damage equal to AD multiplied by crit multiplier, so even if you have high crit chance with high multiplier, if your have low AD then it still sucks, it sucks more when those mobs have crit immunity

Just consider the fact that these 14+ skill points are basically non-existent when you face crit-immune mobs

Probably worth if the zombies in the graveyard aren't immune to crits

Code: Select all

Demo
Lv 70 HP 46 AP 3/12 ATK Stats 324 65-71 DEF Stats 50
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

I view the higher level crit skills as useful, but only when you get to a very high level, and are looking for places to spend skill points.

Having said that, my main build uses crits, although I have not invested in the higher level crit skills. Only Demons, Ghosts, Constructs (e.g. gargoyles) are immune to critical hits. So the zombies (undead) in the graveyard are not immune. Crits can be very effective when the monsters are not immune, which means most monsters. With an ECC of 23% and a CM of 3, I get on average a 69% boost in damage if the monster is not crit immune. That's a big boost! I do have a built in back-up plan for the crit immune monsters though, where I switch to different weapons (2 x BSS).

In summary, most monsters are susceptible to crits, and then they can be devastating. IMO a good crit build does need a backup strategy for the crit immune monsters though.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
__Demo__

Post by __Demo__ »

rijackson741 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:58 am I view the higher level crit skills as useful, but only when you get to a very high level, and are looking for places to spend skill points.
I am now level 56 and already looking for skills to spend

Currently 4 points unspent, and there are not many skills valuable, as Quick Learner does not work exponentially, but linearly

Maybe just wait for new skills.... probably

Demo
T-rex2298
android_version: 8.0
Location: Inaroom inahouse inasuburb inacity inastate whichisinacountry inAustralia Good guesswork!

Post by T-rex2298 »

Critical build is worth it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everything can be solved with a quick bite to the neck.
Operation Shadowslay.
Maturity: Completed! For the one ring has been found!
Melior Futuri.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

__Demo__ wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:22 am
I am now level 56 and already looking for skills to spend

Currently 4 points unspent, and there are not many skills valuable, as Quick Learner does not work exponentially, but linearly

Maybe just wait for new skills.... probably
No skill is meant to be a "magic bullet". They give you some sort of advantage though. One point in IF would make your max HP go up every level. One point in Re means you gain lost HP back every round outside of combat. Evasion means you are more likely to get the first attack. Cleave can give you an extra attack. etc. If you are waiting for us to introduce a skill that gives you a huge advantage, then you will wait forever.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
__Demo__

Post by __Demo__ »

rijackson741 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:54 am No skill is meant to be a "magic bullet". They give you some sort of advantage though. One point in IF would make your max HP go up every level. One point in Re means you gain lost HP back every round outside of combat. Evasion means you are more likely to get the first attack. Cleave can give you an extra attack. etc. If you are waiting for us to introduce a skill that gives you a huge advantage, then you will wait forever.
I tried to save my skill points, but it turns out that I have nowhere to spend them

I have already taken Combat Speed 2, Evasion 4 and both proficiency 3.

For my character:
No Increased Fortitude = No Regen or Corpse Eater
Unarmed = No Fighting Style or Crits
No base block chance = No Bark Skin
No concussion because he would be able to one-shot any mob eventually (probably, if I could reach such high level)
No Magic Finder because I don't need RoLS or whatever
No Taunt because most of the time the character would die if he was hit
Some skills are just useless

Then the remaining skills that sound reasonable are.... Cleave.... and there is no meaning for taking Cleave 5 or higher
Maybe I should have use them on Cleave, and later on Quick Learner
Sorry about the early reply that said Crit skills are not worthwhile

I also found that you got one skill every 3 levels originally, and that's why QL gives only 5% more
It's 1 skill point per 4 levels when the skill system released, but they balanced skills based on 1 per 3
(source: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=898)
I do hope that QL would be exponential, or maybe make it to be 7%, because 5% really sucks

Demo
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

You could learn a nice fancy skill like taunt - it is fun to see the opponents being irritated and forget to hit so often :mrgreen:
Nut
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Nut wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:23 pm You could learn a nice fancy skill like taunt - it is fun to see the opponents being irritated and forget to hit so often :mrgreen:

I totally agree. I love Taunt on a defensive minded build.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Re: Unarmed Fighting...are you doing it?

Post by Tomcat »

I haven't started a monk yet, but it occurred to me whether Fracture and Internal Bleeding might become useful skills to go with crits, or whether the skill points are better invested in more and better crits directly.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6