v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Surprise! Quest help!

Post your questions about game contents here. Want to know how to complete a quest, or where to go to find an item? Post here!
qTzal
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: Surprise! Quest help!

Post by qTzal »

arefund wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:24 am
qTzal wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:11 am As to the items that Halvor is requesting: is there a specific place, creature or location that these items come from or is it basically a random lottery drawing and you have to just buy all the tickets?

I mean: after trying a dozen or so I purchased rat tails...
from the merchant at the far east end of the main road (1 area east of the entry to the Gargoyle Cave)
... and he accepted those right away.

Now that I am on a quest to find the softest hair I find myself wondering if I need to collect 10,000 samples of hair or if I am looking for a particular hidden source.
Do you mean that Halvor didn't ask for another rat tails?
No. After I got rat tails from that specific place he finally said that these were up to his exacting standards.
Then he switched to asking for animal hair.
He keeps giving me money for hair that doesn't meet his high bar for hair but says that these are not quite good enough.

The thing is that I had tried very many rat tails acquired by killing rats; none of those were good enough. Only when I purchased some did he like what I gave him.

Animal hair is dropped by many more monsters but I started looking for a merchant that sells animal hair too see if that worked a 2nd time. I haven't had any luck with that.

I thought that, perhaps, Havlor's description might indicate that only certain hair from certain animals would do but all animal hair lumps together except redfoot beast hair. If specific hair from a specific animal is needed it is fairly difficult to keep different sources from mixing in.
Lvl: 58, XP: 3,500,299 , Gold: 103,903, BM potions: <400
RoLS: 1(@1200 rocks) , ElyR: 0, RoL: 0
HP: 180, AC: 237%, AD: 20-31, AP: 12, CC: 9%, CM: 1.0, BC: 225%, DR: 2
arefund

Post by arefund »

qTzal wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:17 am
qTzal wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:11 am As to the items that Halvor is requesting: is there a specific place, creature or location that these items come from or is it basically a random lottery drawing and you have to just buy all the tickets?

I mean: after trying a dozen or so I purchased rat tails...
from the merchant at the far east end of the main road (1 area east of the entry to the Gargoyle Cave)
... and he accepted those right away.

Now that I am on a quest to find the softest hair I find myself wondering if I need to collect 10,000 samples of hair or if I am looking for a particular hidden source.
No. After I got rat tails from that specific place he finally said that these were up to his exacting standards.
He keeps giving me money for hair that doesn't meet his high bar for hair but says that these are not quite good enough.

The thing is that I had tried very many rat tails acquired by killing rats; none of those were good enough. Only when I purchased some did he like what I gave him.

Animal hair is dropped by many more monsters but I started looking for a merchant that sells animal hair too see if that worked a 2nd time. I haven't had any luck with that.

I thought that, perhaps, Havlor's description might indicate that only certain hair from certain animals would do but all animal hair lumps together except redfoot beast hair. If specific hair from a specific animal is needed it is fairly difficult to keep different sources from mixing in.
The merchant that you purchased the 'unrejected rait tails' also sell animal hair. Have you tried that animal hair?
arefund

Post by arefund »

Help!

I've searched for Halvor in every nook and cranny, and I still can't find him in Charwood area. As far as I know, the Charwood area is not that big, and it's almost impossible to not find him there.

Surprise? progress : "Halvor left the lakeside when I refused the get him more bones"

Am I missing something?
qTzal

Post by qTzal »

arefund wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:51 am
qTzal wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:17 am

The merchant that you purchased the 'unrejected rait tails' also sell animal hair. Have you tried that animal hair?
Yup: not good enough.

At this point I just want "game mechanics" clarification: are Halvor's request specifically sourced from a specific location, merchant, monster, or whatever...
Or...
Is it just like getting RoLS: try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try,
try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try again.
JonLin
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Post by JonLin »

You can tell him enough. Just don't make home mad.
Level242 HP692 AP4 AC385 AD176-200 BC230
Fighting Style: Way of the Monk
RoLS2 RoL2 ElyR2 ChaR1 GoLF2 ShaF5
SRoV3 VSH6 WMC4 GoW4 HoF2 BD1 HS1 WoB2
Firefly84
android_version: 8.0

Post by Firefly84 »

Just refuse to bring him more when you want to proceed with this quest. But on a polite way.
Firefly
Lvl: 114, PV: 497, FQ: 63
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 2, HoF: 0, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 4, SRoV: 6, VSH: 3, WMC: 1, GoW: 1, BD: 1
DP: 0, X: 0, M: 1, BoGt: 1, SotA: 0, RofLS: 1
HP: 505, AC: 262, AD: 89-105, AP: 4 each, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 156, DR: 4
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

qTzal wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:04 pm At this point I just want "game mechanics" clarification: are Halvor's request specifically sourced from a specific location, merchant, monster, or whatever...
Or...
Is it just like getting RoLS: try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try,
Neither
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
qTzal

Post by qTzal »

rijackson741 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:26 pm
qTzal wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:04 pm At this point I just want "game mechanics" clarification: are Halvor's request specifically sourced from a specific location, merchant, monster, or whatever...
Or...
Neither
Thank you for reply.

Ummmm ... I feel like I didn't explain it right.

In this case he eventually approved of some rat tails and left Crossglen.
I stumbled upon him outside near the cave entrance up to Prim & Blackwater. He started asking for animal hair of a particular adjective that I wish was saved to the quest log text. (edit: adjective was "soft")

He pays me every time for animal hair that isn't quite what he wants.

So ... I have to assume that what he wants exists "in game". Unlike Nor City, upon which other quests hang unfinished, there are reports of other players getting past this step.
This means that there currently is a success condition that can satisfy what Halvor wants when he asks for "animal hair".

Are you telling me that the animal hair itself is not what matters?!?

Perhaps I need to be doing the Hokey-Pokey with my left foot out to appease Halvor. Can I learn those skills in Charwood?
Is it simply time based and nothing that a player does can affect Halvor's "decision" other than having wasted a specified amount of time?
Last edited by qTzal on Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

He is a very annoying person.
Perhaps you should just say "no"?
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
qTzal

Post by qTzal »

rijackson741 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:44 am He is a very annoying person.
Perhaps you should just say "no"?
Well, yes. I would usually say "picky" but in the context of the limited dialog system in the game there is no in between "Yes, I'll fetch more" and "no, go to hell".

He is annoying because we are not allowed (by the game) to wring his neck while asking him to explain exactly what he is looking for.