v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Stoutford

Discussions of the development process of the game.
lord midnight

Stoutford

Post by lord midnight »

im making Stoutford by request of oscar. im planning things out and blocking things in, this is a WIP, i will update accordingly. here is what im thinking.

you enter the region the first time from 'hills east'
stoutfordregion.png
the blue areas are maps that need done, linkers and such, plus all interiors for buildings, so we are looking at probably close to 30 maps when finished. the blue to the left is a gate house leading back to wilderness, the hills east connects somewhere near flagstone by my reading of the world map. thanks oscar for the chance to contribute, i hope the water is to your liking. i still think moving water is a good goal, but some dry streams and ponds are good maybe.

Stoutford was once a major stop from the mountains to the woodlands, and a center of commerce. many great buildings once stood, but are now in shambles. Stoutford is little more than a ghost town these days, and the denizens pray for the river to run again, maybe someday it will...

will post more later, just blocking out and getting an idea of where im going with it, but i think it will be a good town to look around in and keep people busy.

comments and suggestions welcome, only hills east is close to done, slums about halfway, the crossing is mostly done i guess, but needs reworked here and there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AND/OR's ...
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: Stoutford

Post by oskarwiksten »

Looks interesting. Please make sure that the maps stay in tone with the exiting maps, and have the same feel as the existing maps. No excess in flowers or cuteness. If the surrounding regions have certain types of trees, make sure the trees on these maps are consistent with the surrounding regions. Same with types of mountains or cliffs. If the surrounding regions have the gray type of cliff, then these maps should have that as well. Make sure the maps follow the worldmap.

Also, make sure the maps follow the map rules stated in the map guidelines:
http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/w ... Guidelines

Regarding water, we have discussed this earlier, and I am still not convinced of the transitions from water to nonwater. As I mentioned to you earlier, I hadn't planned on adding any water at all to the world, since the tileset have don't really support any smooth transitions to and from it. I'm still not that satisfied with the transitions we have looked at, I still think they look blocky and have too straight edges. But if you can make them non-blocky then I'm interested to see it!

The size of Stoutford should be roughly the same size as Fallhaven, according to the worldmap:
http://www.iostr.com/andorstrail_worldmap.png

Looking forward to seeing more of the maps!
/Oskar
michischmid2000

Post by michischmid2000 »

yeah, looks interresting, but the hills have to be in those "rock" tiles ( the ones oskar used for his shadow request).

i created blackwater mountain for oskar ( it´s just north of stoutford and flagstone) and i´m currently working on crossroads south of loneford. all toghet there are 80 map i have created and there´s a lot to do to make them perfectly fit.
i keep trying to get better and better, but i´m still making mistakes. (gladly oskar reminds me of them ;) )

i thinking about some desert maps around sullengard, maybe lord midnight and i can do them together?
/Michi... can be found at STEAM!
lord midnight

Post by lord midnight »

for the life of me i thought both mountains in flagstone and blackwater were sandy cliff. i will do the conversion shortly, this will let me show elevation really well, using the sandy stuff for in town and at the dry river, with the stone cliffs at the higher elevation and where the maps connect, it should look pretty realistic. im avoiding flowers oscar, Stoutford is a very dreary place, it is a mess and nothing of its former glory. i might have it s[read out differently, but all in all it should be the same as fallhaven.
AND/OR's ...
michischmid2000

Post by michischmid2000 »

So, anything new with stoutford? It would be really cool if it's ready for the 0.6.9 release.
/Michi... can be found at STEAM!
lord midnight

Post by lord midnight »

i will do this next week.
AND/OR's ...