v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Getting too difficult for me ...

Post your questions about game contents here. Want to know how to complete a quest, or where to go to find an item? Post here!
Dan_W_58
android_version: 8.0

Re: Getting too difficult for me ...

Post by Dan_W_58 »

@rijackson741
Oh no! Looks like I might reinstall... I'll try to resist...

@Gonk
Ehm, never worked with Java; I'm a C++'er. I'll have a look anyways.
And I'll have a read of content creation.

@Tom Cat
I'll look for AIDE.
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

If you can write C++, you can read 95%+ of Java, and the learning curve shouldn't be that steep to become able to write it. Getting to understand how the program is structured around the controller objects has been the biggest step for me - but perhaps you've seen similar things in C++. I had not - most of my programming has been in a technical area for batch simulation software, not interactive programs.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Dan,

I concur with Gonk. Java syntax is rooted in C++ and by extension C. I'm a C# engineer and learning Java was easy. It's the damn ecosystem that I hate.

I suggest you start the game over again and this time take your time. Don't wander too far from Crossglen/Fallhaven/Vilegard until level 15
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Dan_W_58
android_version: 8.0

Post by Dan_W_58 »

@All
I actually don't mind learning a new language. Good for my CV, too. I'll look for a good tutorial/get started guide.

R.e. starting again, I'll ponder that if/when I reinstall the game. Can't happen for at least 1 week, as my life is just recovering from the neglect of my first stint. I'm not very good at balancing...

I've been browsing the content creation wikis. The tool for maps is PC based. The tool for objects is also PC based. Somebody should port Wine to Android. Just kidding.. :) So this leaves coding as the only thing I can contribute; and that's fine; just got to chew some beans, first.

I'm also not familiar with GIT, used SVN in my days.
I downloaded MGIT from F-Droid; will that allow me to pull, modify, commit?

EDIT: Java has a trade deficit problem.
All imports, and no exports.
:)
Gonk
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Post by Gonk »

Dan_W_58 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:11 pm I've been browsing the content creation wikis. The tool for maps is PC based. The tool for objects is also PC based.
Except painting the maps, you can edit and create all content in a text editor (it is json). I already did that myself because it is sometimes more convinient.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Sometimes it is more convenient, but I can't put together a complex conversation without ATCS. I need to be able to see the structure.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1