v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Extraordinary and legendary items

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
mousewarp
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: Extraordinary and legendary items

Post by mousewarp »

I agree with the 'No endless grinding please', 1327 Red Jellies later and I finally got the 'Black Shield', 1327 is way too many to go through for an item. The game is very enjoyable, kudos to You for the work done to create it, the drop rate for these items is ridiculous and needs to be much more frequent. We would all love to have them for our characters but not at the expense of hours wasted doing the same thing over and over. I tried to get the Lifesteal Rapier but after four hours waiting for Imps to respawn and killing them off only to get yet another stupid 'Small Rock' I quit and stopped playing for two days from frustration, and frustration is not what people play games for. My only other suggestion is reducing the cost of everything; including AP (Action Points) please make it easier to acquire more AP, skills only being available every fourth (4th) level up (why?, just more grinding and frustration at not being able to complete a quest due to low stats), and either item prices need to come down a lot or more gold needs to be dropped by kills or available in perhaps chests or caches around the map. One last thing concerning expense, items with great features but very steep penalties are not fun and add to the frustration, such as items that increase one attribute but severely lower another attribute, I mean what is the point of an item that gives you an advantage if takes another one away,

The quests and characters are great and I really enjoy that whole aspect of the game, but the endless grinding and slaughtering of the same creature for hours on end is very frustrating and puts me off the entire game in the long run. I appreciate and applaud Your work and any complaints are really suggestions from someone who would gladly buy the game in a finished state if those pitfalls were addressed...
Last edited by mousewarp on Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

L/E items were originally added to give players something to do while waiting for new content to come out. If they wanted.

Then it turned out that a couple of them were extremely useful. I'd like to see those must-haves (for the player, not just the collector) converted into boss drops in new areas or the like, so you would get them in the course of playing though the game instead of just single-purpose grinding in places generally way below your level. Back then, it seemed like there was some support for the idea, but I'm not sure what the situation is now.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
TheGx
android_version: 13 - Android 13

Post by TheGx »

I get frustrated too in this game...same as in real life I take break from it then get at it again haha.
Lvl:80 XP:9281639 AP:14 HP:110 AC:329 AD:69-92 CHS:25 CM:0.0 ECC:0% BC:127 DR:3
WA:2 HH:2 DG:2 MC:1 CS:2 IF:1 RG:1 2HW:5 DW:3 W&S:1 LA:2
RoLS:1 ElyR:1 RoL:1 HoF:1 ChaR:1 GoLF:1 ShaF:1 SRoV:1 VSH:3 WMC:1 GoW:1 BD:1 HS:1 WoB:1
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Hello mousewarp, and welcome to the forums.

The L/E items are not necessary for anything in the game! A couple of them are nice to have but none of them are necessary. If you don't want to grind for them, then don't. I don't want to grind for them, and don't do so. Some players make a point of collecting them precisely because they are very hard to get. They exist for those players, and they would probably not appreciate us making them all easy to get, so that thy have nothing to do between releases. Your preference is not everyone's. Anyway, most players probably don't even know they exist. Unless you browse the forums or are very lucky you would not know about them.

We are working on making gold and XP easier to obtain earlier in the game, so reduce the need to grind so much. It's a balance though. We don't want to overdo it, so it will likely come in stages.

If we make skills easier to acquire then we would have do downgrade all of them, and eliminate some altogether. If we did not do that the game would be too easy, and then we would have to fix that by making all the monsters and quests harder. That's not going to happen. There are players that are beyond level 200, and even 300. Some of the skills are meant for them. They are not meant to be easy to get.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
mousewarp
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by mousewarp »

I'm sory to hear that player suggestions are simply dismissed as 'personal preference', that is unfortunate and why ask for any if you intend to dismiss them anyway? As far as I can tell from reaching level 55 in order to reach 300 I would have to do nothing else but sleep and play this game because the grinding required would be mind numbingly tedious and therefore I would need to have nothing else to do with my life.

I was not being sarky in my original post, but raising serious questions from someone who has been gaming electronically and with board/paper & Pencil for at least five decades and I don't see your logic concerning skills, play a few rounds of actual D&D old school, or try the PC game Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2, perhaps some of the old Avalon Hill games, or any of the Lands of Lore releases. I am a game designer from way back and have some pretty decent ones to my credit, so I'm not just spouting personal preferences, or being a back seat driver with zero experience.

The game has good potential, and one of the most endearing things about any game is the willingness of the designer(s)/developer(s) to accept feedback from the players, I know I always did and was happy to receive it. If you make a game mostly accessible to a select few that tested it from it's inception it will become an anachronism no one else will bother to play, but if you make it friendly to all it will endure forever, just look at some of the classics for examples...
CUCHULAINN3

Post by CUCHULAINN3 »

mousewarp wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:37 am I'm sory to hear that player suggestions are simply dismissed as 'personal preference', that is unfortunate and why ask for any if you intend to dismiss them anyway? As far as I can tell from reaching level 55 in order to reach 300 I would have to do nothing else but sleep and play this game because the grinding required would be mind numbingly tedious and therefore I would need to have nothing else to do with my life.

I was not being sarky in my original post, but raising serious questions from someone who has been gaming electronically and with board/paper & Pencil for at least five decades and I don't see your logic concerning skills, play a few rounds of actual D&D old school, or try the PC game Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2, perhaps some of the old Avalon Hill games, or any of the Lands of Lore releases. I am a game designer from way back and have some pretty decent ones to my credit, so I'm not just spouting personal preferences, or being a back seat driver with zero experience.

The game has good potential, and one of the most endearing things about any game is the willingness of the designer(s)/developer(s) to accept feedback from the players, I know I always did and was happy to receive it. If you make a game mostly accessible to a select few that tested it from it's inception it will become an anachronism no one else will bother to play, but if you make it friendly to all it will endure forever, just look at some of the classics for examples...
My level 497 was because I played this when it first came out. I just recently started over. Also nutting points quick learner helps out akot
Sinn Féin~~~saighdiúir éireannach
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

mousewarp wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:37 am I'm sory to hear that player suggestions are simply dismissed as 'personal preference', that is unfortunate and why ask for any if you intend to dismiss them anyway? As far as I can tell from reaching level 55 in order to reach 300 I would have to do nothing else but sleep and play this game because the grinding required would be mind numbingly tedious and therefore I would need to have nothing else to do with my life.

I am not just dismissing your ideas as a personal preference. I am pointing out that they are indeed, a personal preference. I also would not choose to grind to level 300, or to collect all the super rare items. But some do, and that is who they are there for. You are asking us to take that away from them, and give it to players that don't want to grind for them, just get them as easy pickings. You don't need them for anything. If you don't want to grind for them, just play the game as if we never created them (for the grinder fans) in the first place. You lose nothing by doing that.

As far as early grinding for gold etc goes, as I already said, we are working on that.

For skills, if you can come up with an additional 20-30 viable ones, maybe we can space them once every two level ups. If not, then they have to stay as they are, because we don't want players to run out of skills. Even the ones at level 200-300..
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
TheGx

Post by TheGx »

Tofu Ming wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:15 pm
CKork wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:55 pm
Tofu Ming wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:20 am

Damn it...just got another friggin hat after 1756th kill...2 hats still no robe...
I had 5 hats until I got the robe
This is more annoying than a lower drop rate, has anyone gotten more robes than hats? Both are same drop rate yet I always see posts about getting more hats than robes...5 hats holy f...I sold the Venom Dagger too and can never get it back just to have complete collection...yeesh wish I knew earlier now it too late to restart entire game...
Just got another friggin' hat 3rd one now after killing 2030...hope I don't get to 5 too...
Lvl:80 XP:9281639 AP:14 HP:110 AC:329 AD:69-92 CHS:25 CM:0.0 ECC:0% BC:127 DR:3
WA:2 HH:2 DG:2 MC:1 CS:2 IF:1 RG:1 2HW:5 DW:3 W&S:1 LA:2
RoLS:1 ElyR:1 RoL:1 HoF:1 ChaR:1 GoLF:1 ShaF:1 SRoV:1 VSH:3 WMC:1 GoW:1 BD:1 HS:1 WoB:1
CKork

Post by CKork »

Diablo 2. One of the best games out there. Tons of items, tons of grind, much loved, and way more items with way lower drop chances.
Guess there are enough people out there who dont mind and/or are challenged and motivated by this.

Keep it is my vote.
Andor's "Vanilla" Bro
:ElyR x1:RolS x2:RoflS x1:RoL x2:HoF x1:ChaR x2:GoLF x1:ShaF x2:SRoV x1:VSH x3:WMC x1:GoW x2:BD x1:HS x2:
LVL 35 (+24 dmg, 2x IF, next to no quests & unique bosses, xp saved 2get2 lvl 80 straight)
JonLin
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Post by JonLin »

As someone has already mentioned none of the LE/EX items are required or even needed to finish the quests. Personally I do all of the quests then go back and grind for then.
I think the skills are fine the way they are, as are the amount of exp and gold dropped.
The only game that really compares is Crossfire on Linux.
Level242 HP692 AP4 AC385 AD176-200 BC230
Fighting Style: Way of the Monk
RoLS2 RoL2 ElyR2 ChaR1 GoLF2 ShaF5
SRoV3 VSH6 WMC4 GoW4 HoF2 BD1 HS1 WoB2