v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Translation in french

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Lacrom
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Re: Translation in french

Post by Lacrom »

Ok. I don't know if I am the only translator doing this at the moment. For now I won't change anything and only make suggestions, and note where I put them. If other translators agree with me, then I'll modify the translation. Because it's not only a matter of language, I think it could be a good idea to do it because currently, some NPC use Tu and other Vous, and the hero sometimes uses Tu ans mostly Vous, so I think it could be nice because the game would be more uniform/homogeneous.
Jean-Jacques Goldman | LV115
ElyR:1 HoF:1 RoLS:3 RoL:2 YN:1 | BD:1 ChaR:1 GoW:11 GoLF:1 HS:2 ShaF:1 SRoV:1 VSH:1 WoB:1 WMC:1
mathBrain
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by mathBrain »

Je pourrait aider avec des traductions. Mais je vai essayer de terminer le jeux avant de trop traduire. J'ai déja réparé un instance que le NPC vouvoie le gamin.

------------------------
I can start helping with translation. Though I should finish the game first. I agree that NPCs should use you(s) to the character, and the character should you(p) the adult NPCs.
Comment la fillette ­­­­­­­­­de Stoutford devrait addresser l'héro?
How would the girl in Stoutford address the hero?
Lacrom

Post by Lacrom »

Je pense qu'elle devrait le tutoyer. Le héros ne doit avoir guère plus de 10 ans à mon avis (d'après les réactions des NPCs)

I think she should use "tu". In my opinion the player must not be beyond 10 years old (it is an estimation made by the reactions of other NPCs)
Est-tu d'accord qu'on devrait changer la traduction pour que les NPCs tutoient le héros et pour que le héros vouvoie les NPCs à l'exception des gamins (exemple : la fillette de stoutford et le garçon se cache dans Stoutford) ?

Do you agree on the fact that the hero should use "vous" with most NPCs except kids and that NPCs use "tu" when speaking to the hero ?
ElyR:1 HoF:1 RoLS:3 RoL:2 YN:1 | BD:1 ChaR:1 GoW:11 GoLF:1 HS:2 ShaF:1 SRoV:1 VSH:1 WoB:1 WMC:1
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

Nut, that's interesting that Du vs Sie has changed since medieval times - I only studied a little German in my youth, and a little more a couple of years ago.

I also don't know whether tu vs vous has changed in a similar way, though I studied French a bit more. Sounds like our francophone folks are closer to a consensus - any of you are welcome to make the change.

I'm not sure how the Spanish translations handle tu vs usted. There, I'm aware that there are regional variations, from using tu except in formal occasions to using usted when with your own children. Do we have multiple versions in Spanish? I mean, like Spanish vs Mexican vs Argentine dialects of Castilian, as opposed to Castilian vs Catalan, say.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Lacrom

Post by Lacrom »

J’ai fait quelques recherches sur le vouvoiement en France :
Le vouvoiement serait apparu aux alentours du IIIème siècle de notre ère, introduit par certains empereurs romains. En effet, l’empereur Dioclétien (an 285 environ) aurait été l’un des premiers à faire utiliser la deuxième personne du pluriel lorsqu’on s’adressait à lui (« vos » en latin). Cette formule fut reprise par quatre monarques (parait-il une tétrarchie de quatre empereurs romain), qui parlaient à la première personne du pluriel, feignant de parler au nom des trois autres, et leur donnant ainsi plus de crédit.
En autres termes, le vouvoiement serait apparu lors de l’empire romain, mais il n’était utilisé que pour s’adresser à l’empereur, et faire preuve d’une extrême révérence.
Ensuite, le vouvoiement s'installa dans nos vies comme marque d'une politesse formelle. Cependant ce processus de familiarisation de cette particularité linguistique prit du temps. Tout d’abord entre le IIIème et le VIIème siècle (en France), le vouvoiement aurait été utilisé uniquement pour les grands personnages (monarques et empereurs). Ensuite, On s’aperçoit en étudiant les lettres entre les nobles que vers l’époque carolingienne (VIIIème au Xème siècle) ces derniers s’écrivaient à la deuxième personne du singulier et à la deuxième personne du pluriel, en alternant en fonction du sujet (vouvoiement pour une faveur auprès d’un roi, tutoiement pour des condoléances par exemple).

Le vouvoiement est donc toujours signe d’un certain respect, mais de la même révérence qu’auparavant. Il serait surtout utilisé entre aristocrates (pas par le peuple, mais étant donné que nous n’avons pas de textes de la plèbe de l’époque car elle était illettrée je ne suis pas sûr de cette information)
Le vouvoiement serait passé dans l’usage courant lors de la période féodale (Xème-XIIème siècle) et est un signe de respect. Il n’est cependant pas utilisé aussi souvent qu’aujourd’hui, son utilisation sera de plus en plus courante au fil du temps.

Aujourd'hui:
En France, le vouvoiement est la manière normale de s'adresser à une personne que vous ne connaissez pas et sous-entend, sinon un certain respect, du moins une certaine réserve dans la familiarité. Vous pourrez remarquer, si vous avez assisté en France, à des confrontations verbales, par exemple entre automobilistes, qu'un seuil significatif d'agressivité est franchi lorsqu'un (au moins) des protagonistes se met à tutoyer son interlocuteur : il semble en fait assez difficile d'insulter quelqu'un en le vouvoyant, mais cela peut se pratiquer, au risque de l'incompréhension d'une de parties. Toujours en France, le tutoiement est courant entre gens jeunes et avec les personnes familières et requiert malgré tout une certaine proximité, réelle ou supposée.

I did some research on the “vous” and “tu” in France, here is the report:
The “vous” as a polite form would have appeared around the 3rd century of our era, introduced by Roman emperors. Indeed, the emperor Diocletian (around year 285) was one of the first to use “vous” when he was addressed ("vos" in Latin). This formula was taken up by four monarchs (it seems a tetrarchy of four Roman emperors), who spoke in the first plural person, pretending to speak on behalf of the other three, and thus giving them more credit.
In other words, this kind of polite form would have appeared during the Roman Empire, but it was only used to address the emperor, and to show an extreme reverence.
Then, the “vous” settled in our society as a mark of formal politeness. However, this process of familiarization with this linguistic peculiarity took time. First of all between the 3rd and the 7th century (in France), this polite form would have been used only for the nobles (monarchs and emperors). Then, we realize by studying the letters between the nobles that around the Carolingian era (8th to 10th century) they wrote each other in the second singular person “tu” and in the second plural person “vous”, alternating depending on the subject (polite form for a favor, “tu” for condolences for example).

This polite form was still a sign of a certain respect, but not of the same reverence as before. It would especially be used between aristocrats (not by common people, but as we haven't any texts from common people as they couldn't read I am not sure of this).
This polite form would have passed into common usage during the feudal period (10th-12th century) and is a sign of respect. However, it is not used as often as it is today, its use will become more and more common over time.

Today:
In France, “vous” is the normal way of addressing a person you do not know and implies, if not a certain respect, at least a certain reserve in familiarity. You may notice, if you have attended verbal confrontations in France, for example between motorists, that a significant threshold of aggressiveness is crossed when one (at least) of the protagonists begins to use “tu” with their interlocutor: it seems to be quite difficult to insult someone while usind this polite form, but it can be done, at the risk of misunderstanding by one of the parties. Still in France, “tu” is common between young people and with familiar people and still requires a certain closeness, real or supposed.
Tomcat
VIP

Post by Tomcat »

Thank you for doing the research! If using vous in the middle ages was still in transition to common usage among the common folk, then I would guess that our hero would generally get addressed as tu. Do you have a clear opinion on whether he should use vous for all adults or just nobles?
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Lacrom

Post by Lacrom »

Je pense que Andor's trail a lieu aux alentours du XVème / XVIème siècle : en effet, il y a une forme de royauté et d’aristocratie, nous ne sommes plus dans un système féodal, mais il n’y a pas encore de cour telle que celle de Louis XIV le roi-Soleil, et la poudre n’a pas encore fait son apparition. Peut-être un peu plus tôt. En conséquent, le vouvoiement serait déjà apparu depuis longtemps et aurait déjà commencé à être utilisé dans le langage courant (utilisation de plus en plus courante dans les lettres vers la fin du XIIème siècle), d'autant plus que d'après ce que j'ai lu, ces informations sont basées sur les lettres, les écrits, et qu’il y a un décalage entre les écrits et le langage courant, ce dernier évoluant plus rapidement (phénomène toujours d’actualité).

Cependant, le plus important est que le vouvoiement était utilisé à la base pour s’adresser à une personne hiérarchiquement supérieur à soi, et cette dernière tutoyait pour s’adresser à une personne inférieure hiérarchiquement qu’elle. Ce n’est qu’après que cette formule de politesse aurait été utilisée pour signifier une certaine distance/absence de familiarité.

Or, le héros de ce jeu est un gamin, et on le sait, les enfants étaient (particulièrement dans le passé) largement inférieurement considérés !!! Les droits de l’enfant sont en effet très récents. Cette hypothèse est confirmée par le fait que lorsque les nobles du XIIème siècles écrivaient à des femmes, ils les tutoyaient, car la femme était hiérarchiquement et socialement inférieure à l’homme.

C’est pourquoi selon moi, les NPCs devraient tutoyer le héros tout le temps, car le héros est un enfant. En revanche, je suggère que le héros ne vouvoie pas tout le temps les NPCs. Seulement dans certains cas :
- le héros tutoie les enfants dans le jeu (à ma connaissance il n’y a que la petite fille de stoutford castle et le garçon qui joue à cache cache dans Stoutford. Les enfants sont décidément rares dans ce jeu)
- le héros tutoie chaque NPC qu’il insulte ou qu’il méprise (avant de commencer un combat par exemple) car on ne peut pas insulter quelqu’un en utilisant la formule de politesse.
- lorsqu’il y a plusieurs choix avant d’affronter un boss :
- tutoiement pour les phrases agressives (ex : « Crève pathétique créature ! »)
- vouvoiement pour les phrases « peureuses » (ex : « Ne me tuez pas ! »)
- lors de phrases qui entraînent un combat avec un NPC :
- vouvoiement si la phrase est un minimum solennelle (ex avec Vacor : « Vous devez être arrêté »)
- tutoiement si le héros fait un choix… moralement discutable (ex : Urlifendor, que le héros tue pour avoir un artefact de Kazaul, ou Unzel que le héros tue sur les ordres de Vacor, qui est très louche, etc.)
vouvoiement si le héros le fait pour une « noble cause » (ex : Vacor, car il doit être arrêté, pour que le monde soit protégé de son sort de scission)

si aucune de ces situations n’est vérifiée, alors le héros vouvoie le NPC par défaut

Cas où je ne sais pas :
- le héros tutoie-t-il Mikhail, son père ?
- Je ne sais pas si le héros doit tutoyer ou vouvoyer les NPCs qui le considèrent comme « un ami » (ex Ailshara si on a choisi de l’aider dans feygard errands)
En effet, ces cas dépendent de la conception de la formule de politesse.
- Si la formule de politesse est comme elle l’était au XVème siècle, alors je pense que le héros devrait vouvoyer ses « amis » ainsi que son père, car le vouvoiement était alors purement et simplement une question de hiérarchie sociale, et l’adulte était supérieur socialement à l’enfant.
- Si la conception de cette formule de politesse est contemporaine, alors le héros devrait les vouvoyer car ils sont proches, familiers, et familiarité implique « tu »
Bien sûr ceci ne sont que des suggestions. Je pense que le héros devrait vouvoyer son père et ses "amis" car cela donnerait au jeu un petit côté médiéval, une atmosphère ancienne. Mais ce n'est qu'une question d'opinion. Cela pourrait également perturber quelques joueurs, c'est pourquoi il est également possible d'utiliser le vouvoiement comme il est utilisé aujourd'hui.

NB: Si le joueur assiste à une discussion entre deux NPCs, je suggère que le vouvoiement/tutoiement soit utilisé entre les NPCs en fonction de leur hiérarchiee. Siil n'y a pas de différence de hiérarchie (comme les soeurs de Remgard), alors les NPCs se tutoient.
I think Andor's trail takes place around the 15th / 16th century: indeed, there is a form of royalty and aristocracy, we are no longer in a feudal system, but there is no court yet similar to the one of Louis XIV the “roi-soleil”, and gun powder has not yet appeared. Maybe a little earlier. Consequently, the polite form would have already appeared for a long time and would have already started to be used in the current language (it is used more and more frequently in the letters towards the end of the 12th century), particularly because, according to what I've read, this is based on letters, writings, and there is a gap between writing and common language, the oral language evolving more quickly (phenomenon still relevant today).

The most important thing, however, is that polite form was originally used to address a person hierarchically superior to oneself, and the these superior (socially speaking) persons used “tu” to address a person hierarchically lower than them. It was only later this polite expression had been used to signify a certain distance / lack of familiarity.

However, the hero of this game is a kid, and as we know, children were (particularly in the past) considered as lower socially speaking! The rights of the child are indeed very recent. This hypothesis is confirmed by the fact that in the 12th century, when nobles wrote to women, they used “tu”, because women were hierarchically and socially inferior to men.

That's why I think NPCs should use “tu” with the hero all the time, because the hero is a child. On the other hand, I suggest that the hero does not always use the polite form with the NPCs. Only in certain cases:
- the hero uses “tu” with the children in the game (as far as I know there are only 2 other kids in the game: the little girl from stoutford castle and the boy who plays hide and seek in Stoutford. Children are definitely rare in this game)
- the hero uses “tu” with each NPC he insults or despises (before starting a fight for example) because you cannot insult someone while using the polite form.
when there are several choices before facing a boss:
“tu” for aggressive phrases (ex: "Die pathetic creature!")
“vous” for the sentences "fearful" (ex: "Do not kill me please!")
- in sentences which involve a fight with an NPC:
“vous” if the sentence is a solemn minimum (like with Vacor: "You must be arrested")
“tu” if the hero makes a choice... morally questionable (ex: Urlifendor, that the hero kills to have an artifact of Kazaul, or Unzel that the hero kills on the orders of Vacor, who is very shady, etc.)
“vous” if the hero does it for a “noble cause” (ex: Vacor, because he must be arrested, so that the world is protected from his rift spell)

if none of these situations is checked, then the hero would use “vous” by default with any NPC

When I don’t know:
- Shall the hero use “tu” or “vous” with Mikhail, his father?
I don't know if the hero should use “tu” with the NPCs which consider him as "a friend" (ex Ailshara if we chose to help her in feygard errands)
These cases depend of the idea we have of the polite form.
- If the polite form is as it was in the 15th century, then I think that the hero should use “vous” with his "friends" as well as his father, because the “vous” was then purely and simply a question of social hierarchy, and the adult was socially superior to child.
- If the conception of this polite formula is contemporary, then the hero should use “tu” because they are close, familiar, and familiarity implies "tu"
Of course those are only suggestions. I personnaly think that the hero should use "vous" with his father&friends because it could create a kind of "old medievel times" atmosphere in the game. But it's only a matter of opinion. That may also disturb a few players, that's why we can use the polite form as it is today.

NB: if the player assist to a discussion between 2 NPCs, I highly suggest to try to use the polite form for the hierarchically superior NPC. Of course, if both NPC are equals (such as the sisters in Remgard) they shall use "tu"
Tomcat
VIP

Post by Tomcat »

I learn at your feet, Jean-Jacques.
Norbert
arliantir
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by arliantir »

Et quand le jeu s'adresse au joueur, par ex "[You have stumbled upon the remains of an adventurer that came before you.]" j'imagine que le tutoiement devrait être utilisé dans ce cas ?
---
Should we use "Tu" when the game talks to the player, e.g.: "[You have stumbled upon the remains of an adventurer that came before you.]" ?
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

Good question -
I'd say yes, because the player is in the role of a kid. And the game talks to the role and not to the player.
Nut