v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

6 second rule in background

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Moo-Kun
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

6 second rule in background

Post by Moo-Kun »

The game uses a 3 minute rule for each unvisited map to respawn all of its mobs.
This rule can be effective when the game is in background mode.. but theres also another rule for each 6 seconds a round passes and therefore theres a chance (idk exactly how much I'll look it up and I'll add it here later) to spawn a mob in your current map.
Which is disabled when you leave.. this rule controls both your health and conditions too..

My idea is to keep the 6 second rule enabled when you leave the game running in the background and keep the mobs spawning normally and your health regenerating until you come back :mrgreen:..

ofcourse that means you could be attacked but finding a good hiding spot from the mobs fixes the issue!
Last edited by Moo-Kun on Sun May 10, 2020 2:05 am, edited 8 times in total.
If I had to name a Nostalgic Childhood Game that I grew up playing and still play to this day.. it would definitely be
♡Andor's Trail♡
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Re: Implementation of a temporary timer

Post by Tomcat »

I don't think that's a workable idea. When the game is in the background, it's usually not even running. Even the other-map 3 minute rule isn't because a timer is running - it just checks the clock to see if more than 3 real-world minutes have passed since you last left that map. Allowing things to happen while you're not looking on the map you're in is an entirely different problem, and I for one would not want to return to the game to discover that my level 50 hero been killed by a forest ant because I wasn't there to swing back. And making an AI to fight back for you brings a whole suite of things to figure out that would distract the dev team from making the game better while you are actually playing.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Moo-Kun

Post by Moo-Kun »

Tomcat wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:14 pm I don't think that's a workable idea. When the game is in the background, it's usually not even running. Even the other-map 3 minute rule isn't because a timer is running - it just checks the clock to see if more than 3 real-world minutes have passed since you last left that map. Allowing things to happen while you're not looking on the map you're in is an entirely different problem, and I for one would not want to return to the game to discover that my level 50 hero been killed by a forest ant because I wasn't there to swing back. And making an AI to fight back for you brings a whole suite of things to figure out that would distract the dev team from making the game better while you are actually playing.
The temporary timer doesnt have to be different than the 3 minute rule one, the devs could find a way (I think) to link it somehow to the real-time clock..
At least just for healing cause imo I hate coming back with 30% health everytime and having to wait for it to regen..

One way to solve the mob issue is to maybe freeze them? Like not let them move past the spawn area .. and most spawn areas contain only 1 maximum mob so..
Yeah IF they attacked you somehow the game would pause until you come back so go find a better hiding spot next time :lol: .. just an idea I thought of
If I had to name a Nostalgic Childhood Game that I grew up playing and still play to this day.. it would definitely be
♡Andor's Trail♡
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Um...how about not? Makes the grid for legendary items too easy
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Moo-Kun

Post by Moo-Kun »

Antison wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:29 pm Um...how about not? Makes the grid for legendary items too easy
Just a health regen and mob spawner in the bg :lol:
You still have to go through the 7k clicks yourself :shock:
Tomcat wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:14 pm I don't think that's a workable idea. When the game is in the background, it's usually not even running. Even the other-map 3 minute rule isn't because a timer is running - it just checks the clock to see if more than 3 real-world minutes have passed since you last left that map. Allowing things to happen while you're not looking on the map you're in is an entirely different problem, and I for one would not want to return to the game to discover that my level 50 hero been killed by a forest ant because I wasn't there to swing back. And making an AI to fight back for you brings a whole suite of things to figure out that would distract the dev team from making the game better while you are actually playing.
And yeah I agree making a auto attacking ai for the player would be a huge detour for the devs but that's not what I asked for..

It's a quality of life improvement that's all
♡Andor's Trail♡
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

I see that now in your previous. But it is still asking for free healing, in terms of game time. People always want shortcuts...
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Moo-Kun

Post by Moo-Kun »

Tomcat wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:24 am I see that now in your previous. But it is still asking for free healing, in terms of game time. People always want shortcuts...
To be fair if the game was without shortcuts then 3 minute respawning wouldn't be used.. cuz its considered a shortcut to sleeping.. it's pretty much the same thing except this is the map you're on and those are maps you aren't on.. besides say we spent that time waiting outside the game and healed IF we spent it inside the game would we do anything different than standing still? It's the exact same thing but one is inside the game and one is outside..

That's the way I see it anyway and everyone has their own point of view :mrgreen:

Imo boredom shouldn't be part of the legendary item obtaining experience...

I'm not asking for more item drop rate
I'm not asking for closer beds

All I'm asking for is spending time outside the game while the player heals that Is all I'm asking for

And with mobs spawning too it's not game breaking and it doesnt affect the time it takes to get a legendary item either

There's no reason not to add this feature..
♡Andor's Trail♡
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Re: 6 second rule in background

Post by Nut »

There is no need to gather legendaries. If you are really dedicated to go for them, then you'll find a way. And be it using a second mobile where you could do anything you like, while you're waiting for respawn...
We will not change the engine just for convenient hunting for nice but unneeded legendaries.
Nut
Moo-Kun

Post by Moo-Kun »

Nut wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:00 am There is no need to gather legendaries. If you are really dedicated to go for them, then you'll find a way. And be it using a second mobile where you could do anything you like, while you're waiting for respawn...
We will not change the engine just for convenient hunting for nice but unneeded legendaries.
It's just for ease of use.. but if there are more important things to add in the game then leave it for another time :D

Also player convenience is one of the goals of every game right? Be it for hunting rare items or any other aspect of the game.. I say keep it in the to-do list for some other time :mrgreen:
Nut wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:00 am We will not change the engine just for convenient hunting for nice but unneeded legendaries.

Games I believe are bound to go through revamps and reworks of their mechanics.. cuz if they were perfect then why are we making forums with people and mods to watch over them..
It is for the sole purpose of improving the game.. you may not want to change the engine for this small thing but in the future I suspect other ideas will demand the changing of that same engine! So why not just write it down somewhere IF you feel like changing the engine add this small bit to the cake :mrgreen:

And I agree legendaries are totally unneeded in this stage of the game.. but it's fun to get them..
the idea of working so hard to get an item makes it have a great value..
And making the experience that much easier wont hurt anybody really(and it is in no way making legendaries easier to obtain xD you have to click every individual mob).. and if others dont want what I suggest then making it a preference in the options is the solution..

It's really just an idea I thought of since you can get mobs spawning in other maps but not yours outside the game.. and health jumped on it aswell.. :)
Last edited by Moo-Kun on Sun May 10, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
♡Andor's Trail♡
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Sorry, but we are not going to change this. When you leave the game it's frozen, so that when you come back it's exactly where you left it. That's not an accident, it's by design. You may want some things to keep ticking in the background, but I suspect others would not.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1