v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Edit saved game files ??

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
BadRandy
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: Edit saved game files ??

Post by BadRandy »

CUCHULAINN3 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:28 pm Skill isn't in the hex editor
Thanks I wanted to play around with magic finder skill to see how much I really needed to invest into it to make a real difference
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

BadRandy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:11 pm Did you guys find the skills in the hex editor? I can't find them. Exp and Gold are easy to locate
Then simply bump up the exp enough to level up enough times to gain skills.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Gonk
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Post by Gonk »

The skills are in the savefile, too, but they can hardly be adjusted without reading the source code.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

BadRandy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:33 pm
CUCHULAINN3 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:28 pm Skill isn't in the hex editor
Thanks I wanted to play around with magic finder skill to see how much I really needed to invest into it to make a real difference
See here https://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 695#p65695
Last edited by sdevaney on Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix link
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
RedPlays
android_version: 8.0

Post by RedPlays »

abhishek wrote:just by editing the saved games file...you can not call any one cheater...
So whats cheating in your opinion? According to Wikipedia it is:
Wikipedia wrote:Cheating in video games involves a video game player using non-standard methods for creating an advantage beyond normal gameplay, usually to make the game easier, [...]
I consider editing saved games as a non-standard method.
[/quote]

Cheating in video games involves a video game player using non-standard methods FOR CREATING AN ADVANTAGE beyond normal gameplay, usually to make the game easier

also if it is to make the game easier not just a non-standard method.
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Hello RedPlays, and welcome to the forums.

To me it's a question of what you do with that. If you want to do that in the privacy of your own home, then you are not fooling anyone but yourself by doing it. If you hack the savegame and come onto these forums and show off your stats, that's a different story altogether.
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

You can't really cheat anyone as it is a single player, non-online game where nobody loses anything by your ability to hack the game.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
mainmap
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by mainmap »

FWIW, I got my main character to Remgard and met Mr K--- who asked about Mr U---, it made me want to play through some of the game quests with different choices. But I didn't want to grind for a character strong enough to get to Remgard again. My grinding to get my main character up to level 70 (now) was quite enough.

So I set about figuring out how to edit the save file. It is trivial, in my opinion.

I created a new character, saved it right before fighting my first small wasp and again right after then looked at what had changed. Score and gold are saved in two places, one for show and one for real.
The for real ones are 32 bit binary values and changing NULL-NULL-NULL-007 to NULL-007-NULL-NULL makes the value go up by a factor of 65536. Items in inventory are slightly trickier because you have to watch out for items worn or elsewhere (eg unpicked up loot), but not much. There's a Pascal string with item name (8 bit string length followed by item ID string) and then a 32 bit count of how many you have. Changing 012-a-p-p-l-e_-g-r-e-en-NULL-NULL-NULL-002 into 013-r-i-n-g-_-s-h-a-d-o-w-0-NULL-NULL-NULL-002 gets you some very nice starting equipment. Similarly kill counts can be edited.
So I made myself a level 50 character with a tidy pile of gold, a RoL and two RoLS and set out. The plaguestriders killed me (level 50 with no regen and next to no heal potions, maybe not the best idea). Okay, try again. 983041 small wasp kills and experience to match plus previous edits. Level 1 to 75 having visited two locations. That got me to Remgard easily for my quest experiment.
I did minimal quests. I visited Algangror turned down her request to deal with the rats, one quest completed. Then I told the guard the house was empty and did the Jhaeld quest without revealing Algangror. I wanted to see what Duaina would say about me without having done anything. That wasn't so exciting.

Talking to Kaverin was more interesting, in a "the game is not prepared for this" way. He asked about Unzel, who I had never met. Then Kaverin asks me to say hi if I ever meet him, so I trek back to do that. But Unzel won't talk to me about his friends. Just one line about how his camp site is nice.

I've decided I'll keep this character and only do quests that don't require me to kill named humans. No picking sides beyond living human versus monster and undead.
I don't know what the rules are about sharing save files are, but I have my pre-push-the-"Level Up" button 74 times save file stashed, suitable for all sorts of reasonably high-level variable character build tests.
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

There aren't any rules about sharing save files, except that your declare what it is: a hacked file.

I created a template character, with basic skills I would always take, some basic equipment, etc. Forking that by changing the character name is even easier than what you describe.
CKork

Post by CKork »

Hmmm. What you did with the edit i did with grind.
I earned all the extraordinaries and legendaries, twice if you can put em on two times.
Then I grinded all my way up to lvl 80 exp, without using the lvl up button (char is lvl 35 with a bit pumped dmg and attack chance). Only quests completed to access the areas I needed to go for the items.

Now I can start over with different things, try builds and quest choices without grinding any more :-) and totally legit! (Feels much better and prevails brag rights :-) )
rijackson741 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:42 am . Forking that by changing the character name is even easier than what you describe.
Now that is something I could definitely use. It`s hard to tell all the Andor`s Bros apart. Look same, got the same name..
If I could edit the names, that would help me alot. Can you PM me how to do it? Wouldn`t be cheating, right?

Best option would be though, if you could just buy a namechange in game somewhere :-) or a unique `title` that goes before or after your name (title of your chosing).
That way it would stay fully legit :mrgreen:
Andor's "Vanilla" Bro
:ElyR x1:RolS x2:RoflS x1:RoL x2:HoF x1:ChaR x2:GoLF x1:ShaF x2:SRoV x1:VSH x3:WMC x1:GoW x2:BD x1:HS x2:
LVL 35 (+24 dmg, 2x IF, next to no quests & unique bosses, xp saved 2get2 lvl 80 straight)