v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Arulir + Respawn rate

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Arulir + Respawn rate

Post by Osho »

[Arulir] - Without giving away the spoilers related to the said monster, the main thing I want to highlight is regarding the boss. It has a very high HP and despite 2 Combat speeds, Critical hit skill 47 (25% x3) and 3AP + 30-38 AD strike, I lose each time esp the dangerously powerful conditions which works as a serious damage offensive. Clearly the dangerous monster after graveyard king.
I felt like the player was put up against a monster with no option to stand up a chance in a fair battle. Is there a counter for the conditions? I can't find any potion or antidote to protect (or lower) the effects of the conditions nor any other means to have any advantages over the monster. It's like kill, kill and kill till you succeed while gulping as many health potions but given the very high HP even the critical hits by the monster can make this a challenge, irrespective of how much damage I do.

The kill and flee strategy is also very hard given the extremely narrow spaced area of the battle with other monsters surrounding the player.

My suggestion:
1. Reduce the HP or powerful condition percentage of the boss to target the player. In normal gameplay it'll take a lot of levels to raise the AD that could land a serious HP blow on the boss, and even then I doubt it'll be effective enough to get through withpit tons of trials and reloads, which doesn't make a battle exciting.

All I request is a relook at the said Arulir boss stats and abilities and balance it out to make a fair battle for the player.

Why can't a player be offered a counter to the conditions in the form of additional potions? That should be possible in future updates.

Respawn rates - Another issue with the game is the respawn rate of monsters at times becomes too quick than it should. I have cone across many instances where a monster respawns within 1 second after killing and since I step ahead after finishing the monster, the respawn often occurs behind the player with an immediate first strike from the monster.

Fortunately, the issue isn't widespread but happens at limited times on maps with many closely spaced tiles to move around but it's still annoyin because it definitely occurs once on every areas of close quarter battles. Green maze, Charwood, the spider cave are the worst examples in this case.

Please look into this issue. It is illogical for a monster to respawn within 1 second. There should be at least a gap of two rounds before it respawns
CKork
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Arulir + Respawn rate

Post by CKork »

Hmm.
Have beaten the arulir boss multiple times, in PD, too. At lvl 50, which you typically are when completing the game, I found it still a challenge, but doable and to be an interesting fight and welcomed the challenge. I do like the fact that some areas (graveyard, too) are very challenging.
But then again, I play PD, do also love Dark Souls and do martial arts and get thrilled by getting hit hard (blow to the neck, seing stars: "oh, that's good! Can we try it again?") :-D

On respawns: It is not the same monster. It is just a similar one, loved (or hated) your scent and therefore jumped out of the bushes to 'interact' with you. Sometimes I get the feeling they have been there waiting for a long time, knowing I'd come and planning to ambush me.

For grinding (items, gold or xp) I sometimes wish we had far higher respawn rates. Arulir cave is awesome for XP on a single monster lvl, especially if you hit hard, but the fact that I run out of mobs too quickly diminishes the effect and othern lower xp mob areas are more "profitable".
Would be awesome, if there was a bed nearby and many more connected arulir caves (similar to Hirathils and Lodars hideout).

To help out Osh, maybe in such a close by hideout you could acquire a tube or two of cooling paste that you can apply to your feet to withstand the hot lava a bit longer.
Andor's "Vanilla" Bro
:ElyR x1:RolS x2:RoflS x1:RoL x2:HoF x1:ChaR x2:GoLF x1:ShaF x2:SRoV x1:VSH x3:WMC x1:GoW x2:BD x1:HS x2:
LVL 35 (+24 dmg, 2x IF, next to no quests & unique bosses, xp saved 2get2 lvl 80 straight)
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Osh wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:56 am [Arulir] - Without giving away the spoilers related to the said monster, the main thing I want to highlight is regarding the boss. It has a very high HP and despite 2 Combat speeds, Critical hit skill 47 (25% x3) and 3AP + 30-38 AD strike, I lose each time esp the dangerously powerful conditions which works as a serious damage offensive. Clearly the dangerous monster after graveyard king.
It has 15DR, so you are better off with fewer strikes, and more damage per strike. You want high BC too.
Osh wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:56 am I felt like the player was put up against a monster with no option to stand up a chance in a fair battle. Is there a counter for the conditions? I can't find any potion or antidote to protect (or lower) the effects of the conditions nor any other means to have any advantages over the monster.
Potion of awareness, Stoutford.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Osho »

rijackson741 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:53 pm
Potion of awareness, Stoutford.
Thanks

Finally. I beat the fat monster. :)
I used the potion restore stunned and worked brilliantly. Amazing! Just 1 potion made the difference here.

Got the goodies but is there anything else to investigate? I have a feeling there's something more than just beating the boss. Couldn't find anything of interest apart from loot drops containing skins and gems.
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

No, there is nothing else, other than one map that you do not need to visit, and is not obvious. Either you know the one I'm talking about, or you missed it :lol:
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
CKork

Post by CKork »

rijackson741 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:18 pm
No, there is nothing else, other than one map that you do not need to visit, and is not obvious. Either you know the one I'm talking about, or you missed it :lol:
and the hidden cave with loot in a go through map.
Either you know the one I'm talking about, or you missed it :lol:
Andor's "Vanilla" Bro
:ElyR x1:RolS x2:RoflS x1:RoL x2:HoF x1:ChaR x2:GoLF x1:ShaF x2:SRoV x1:VSH x3:WMC x1:GoW x2:BD x1:HS x2:
LVL 35 (+24 dmg, 2x IF, next to no quests & unique bosses, xp saved 2get2 lvl 80 straight)