Respawn rates - Absolutely terrible!

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Respawn rates - Absolutely terrible!

Post by Osho »

For example: Green maze.

Each time I kill a beast/barbarian/monster, immediately within a second another respawns in exact place of previously killed spot. It occurs on more than 2 to 3 occassions on every area I visit of the Green maze.

This isn't just an isolated example. Many other areas from the Charwood to the entire route towards Remgard and many other mini versions of green maze in the underground areas are full of instances with monsters respawning instantly after getting killed.

Even if the number of occurrences are low, they are still frequently happening (at least 1 or twice) on every area I pass through.

Sometimes my health gets depleted significantly due to instant first strike from the monster, and at times a critical kills the character. It is even worse when two monsters are blocking the pathway, but respawn immediately back and hit back with an even bigger blow which often results in an instant death or depleting the health to an almost single number of HP.

This is clearly quite frustrating esp due to random nature of respawns. It tends to fluctuate between instant to 3 or 6 seconds (a round). Even a single instance can ruin all the efforts in bringing down an opponent. Imagine the plight of a player on a permadeath mode.

There should be a cool down period of at least 3 rounds before the same monster reappears on the same spot. Unless the player has moved a few tiles away there should be a complete pause on the respawns.
CKork
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Respawn rates - Absolutely terrible!

Post by CKork »

There is no "same monster".
Pure chance. There is a set no. of monsters in each area. Maps have multiple areas. If the max no. of monsters isn' there, there is a chance to spawn a monster of the missing type somewhere in that area. If you happen to be in the area, it can spawn next to you.

If you feel that happens too often, then you're either unlucky, or increasing chances with your actions (e.g. because you take too long to go on, and multiple rounds pass).

I have said it elsewhere:
Personally I want a chance to increase respawn rates. Helps with grinding. And they definitely should not decrease.

An idea might be an expensive potion. Rub it on, and for 5 rounds (or so), respawns are blocked (doable with engine?).
Then it is your own choice to invest.

Generally speaking: if the respawn is a problem for you, you've either traspassed an area you are too weak for, or ploughed ahead without proper planning and/or healing.
Andor's "Vanilla" Bro
:ElyR x1:RolS x2:RoflS x1:RoL x2:HoF x1:ChaR x2:GoLF x1:ShaF x2:SRoV x1:VSH x3:WMC x1:GoW x2:BD x1:HS x2:
LVL 35 (+24 dmg, 2x IF, next to no quests & unique bosses, xp saved 2get2 lvl 80 straight)
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

A monster respawning that fast is certainly possible, but it's a lot less probable than you seem to think. Every 0.5 seconds there is a 1% chance a monster will spawn if there's an available slot. So the chance of a respawn in the first second is only about 2%. The chance in the first 5 seconds is less than 10%. Even in the first minute it's only 70%.

If a monster spawns next to you there is only a 15% chance it will immediately attack. Each level of Evasion reduces this by 5%, so with three levels an adjacent monster will never attack you. This is checked every 1.2 seconds. A monster could try to move onto your tile though, in which case it always gets the first attack. Note that most monsters do not move on the diagonals though, so if you stand on a diagonal it can't get an attack this way. A monster movement round is once every 6 seconds, and it has five possible movements (assuming nothing is blocking it in some directions, anyway).

So, the chance of a monster spawning right next to you the first second after you killed it, and then immediately attacking you is really not very high. Specifically, about 0.3%. With 3 levels of Evasion, it's 0%.

And all of the above assumes the monster spawn area is only one tile. If it's bigger then the probability that it will spawn on the same tile where you killed it is reduced by anther factor (how much depends on other game objects in the spawn area, that it can't spawn on).
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Osho

Post by Osho »

CKork wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:40 pm Personally I want a chance to increase respawn rates.
I don't have issues with respawns that occur randomly anywhere on any area.
It is the rate at which any monster or creature respawns AFTER getting killed by the player. How can the game allow it to be an instant one?
It is cheating and forces the player to kill that monster *twice* on the same spot the moment player steps ahead with no second spared to either replenish the health or move more than 1 tile to avoid getting locked into the combat mode with the same monster who was killed by the player less than a second back.

Totally unfair to the player.

rijackson741 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:16 pm A monster respawning that fast is certainly possible, but it's a lot less probable than you seem to think.

If a monster spawns next to you there is only a 15% chance it will immediately attack. Each level of Evasion reduces this by 5%, so with three levels an adjacent monster will never attack you.
I don't know the percentage of occurrence but it surely happens more frequently in areas designed clearly with the presence of large number of monsters in their prefixed positions already spawned before the player enters into the area. Like the Green Maze, Charwood and a number of other battlegrounds different from the wilderness areas in and around the cities where the occurrences of instant respawns are far too low to notice.

For example:
- the two zortak barbarians in green maze standing next to each other often respawn instantly after getting killed and lock the player immediately because now there are two tiles of respawns. Once I take them down and step forward then either a zortak behind me or the zortak on the tile I was standing and try to move backwards manages to respawn instantly.

- Then there's a formation of 3 steelhide horns in a particular area in green maze which is a challenge to take down in a 1 v 3 combat mode. If I manage to kill them in multiple rounds then at least 1 (and sometimes 2) steelhide horn instantly respawns after the initial rpund of combat ends and locks me again into the combat mode. That's not all. Once I kill that steelhide horn then another respawns instantly in any of the two remaining tiles of 3 prefixed formation of their spawning spot, and again forces me into the combat mode.
That whole area in green maze where you find many steelhide horns is a ticking time bomb full of instant respawns.

I am not even going into areas with lizards, fies, venomscale snakes which are equally nasty in their respawn timings that are instant more often than not.

Surprisingly, the lower levels of green maze with hirathils are easier to fight because I don't find them respawning so quickly as the overground areas of green maze
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

I'd say your build is not strong enough for these areas. If you don't stand the zortaks then you won't be able to get anywhere near to Lodar - the monsters will get harder along the way...

Better go elsewhere and level up instead if wasting your experience by being killed too often. And then come back and take revenge :evil:
Nut
Osho

Post by Osho »

Nut wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:37 am I'd say your build is not strong enough for these areas. If you don't stand the zortaks then you won't be able to get anywhere near to Lodar - the monsters will get harder along the way...

Better go elsewhere and level up instead if wasting your experience by being killed too often. And then come back and take revenge :evil:
Hmm ? I can kill them. It is about a specific issue of *instant* respawn which gives the opponents an unfair advantage over the player. It does have an impact on the players condition who has to face such occurences of instant respawns on many occasions throughout the long mission of passing large areas like green maze.

Also, the Zortaks can strike back together with a critical if they respawn instantly leaving no chance for the player to defend against it. So how can I kill them if I die instantly?
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Osh does have a point to a certain extent. I too find this to occur in the maps he's identified quite often. But I've learned to not delay in moving forward and stay on the monster's tile to heal up. If I can't get to that tile in time then I just deal with it. I have been playing so long that I know it will happen and I plan for it.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Osh wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:38 am
For example:
- the two zortak barbarians in green maze standing next to each other often respawn instantly after getting killed and lock the player immediately because now there are two tiles of respawns. Once I take them down and step forward then either a zortak behind me or the zortak on the tile I was standing and try to move backwards manages to respawn instantly.
Nope. The probability of them respawning is exactly the same as any other monster in the game, and it's what I gave above. Of course, there are two of them, so the chance that at least one respawns is doubled, but that's all.

In some cases it may appear that the respawn rate is higher, but it's not. If there are five monsters in a spawn area the chance that at least one will respawn is a lot higher than if there's only one monster in that area (and it's more than 5x as likely, because you could have one respawn, of two, or three...). The dungflies are like that. That's by design.
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Osho

Post by Osho »

rijackson741 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:29 pm In some cases it may appear that the respawn rate is higher, but it's not. If there are five monsters in a spawn area the chance that at least one will respawn is a lot higher than if there's only one monster in that area (and it's more than 5x as likely, because you could have one respawn, of two, or three...). The dungflies are like that. That's by design.
I'd still urge the developers to look into the aspect of *instant* respawns of a monster. A higher respawn rate is not an issue for me. As long as the KILLED monster doesn't get an instant second chance to lock the player into combat I have no issue with the respawning rates otherwise in this case.
Antison wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:02 am Osh does have a point to a certain extent. I too find this to occur in the maps he's identified quite often. But I've learned to not delay in moving forward and stay on the monster's tile to heal up. If I can't get to that tile in time then I just deal with it. I have been playing so long that I know it will happen and I plan for it.
Yeah. I thought this would be just a glitch in the engine that sometimes monsters respawn in an instant but I observed a pattern in those same set of areas each time I pass through on multiple playthroughs with a fresh start.
I'd rather prefer to die during a combat the first round of encounter itself than getting trapped by the monster into another round of battle after killing the same monster first time and losing a lot of health. It makes it easy for the monster to kill me and avenge its death :D since I can't replenish the health nor move/use any item due to suddenly being locked into combat mode by instantly spawning on the spot.
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

It happens no more often on these maps than on any other (equivalent) maps, although the consequences are worse because the monsters are harder.

Look up "cognitive bias".