v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Quickslots

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Quickslots

Post by Osho »

A simple option to only show assigned quickslot item on screen.

Basically, the unused quickslots should not cover the extra space on screen if they are empty. It does affect the gameplaywhen I am trying to enter / exit areas close to the quickslots, or attempt to attack a monster, irrespective of the quickslot positioned.

I'd prefer a change of displaying only the items assigned then a complete bar with unused slots.
Soullessktty
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Re: Quickslots

Post by Soullessktty »

Actually I'd prefer quickslot and d-pad can be set outside map. No matter where I put them, there are times these two things may block entrances, npcs or monsters. It's annoying I have to exit the game and change it's setting in the preference, every time that happens.
Osho

Post by Osho »

That is a much better idea. I tried to recreate the quickslots by shifting their position outside the map. Screenshot attached

Though I don't think 3 slots would fit into it. Personally, I have used two slots max. 1 for potion and another for meat. Maybe two slots would do just fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

This idea of not overlapping the map with game control elements is not a unique idea, but it is a great one
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Osho

Post by Osho »

The screen size also makes the quickslots a bit uncomfortable for me to keep it active all the time. On a tablet the experience might differ but on a phone (especially, portrait mode) the quickslot bar feels a bit irksome during times when you are doing activities close to the position of the bar.

Again, I don't find the quickslots problematic itself but the entire bar taking EXTRA space.

A single slot wouldn't be an issue on map areas - if allowed. Maybe the size of the individual slot could be decreased with the numbering of the quantity of items showed on the icon then being displayed separately, adjacent to each other.
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

Yeah this is a result of the varying device screen sizes which means no sense of uniformity. Also this is compounded by the lack of us having anyone on the project who is really familiar with mobile UI/UX design. There have been people who did photoshop mock-ups in the past but nothing much beyond that.

I'll link the related discussions here:
GUI Suggestion
Tweaking GUI
Tablet GUI feedback
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

I don't use the quickslots. I just go to my inventory. I play on both a phone and a tablet, and on the tablet they are not a problem. On the phone they do take up too much space.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1