Review: Dual wield w/ heavy armor

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Soullessktty
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Review: Dual wield w/ heavy armor

Post by Soullessktty »

So, I decided to try this build and after several trials and errors, I think I have a good build.

Let's call the hero Lancelot. In RPG sense, he is a good knight leaning toward Feygard, but not always so (sided with Unzel because Vacor is nuts and Lancelot is too good to be an assassin).

He is currently level 47 with the following skills:
  • Combat Speed (2)
  • Increased Fortitude (1)
  • Dark blessing of the Shadow (1) - bonus from "The dark protector" quest.
  • One-handed sword proficiency (3)
  • Heavy armor proficiency (4)
  • Fighting style: Dual wield (2)
  • Specialization: Dual wield (1)
Every bonus from all levels are spent on Attack damage, so Lancelot's base Attack damage is +47 (same as his level)

Worn equiptments:
  1. HEAD: Defender's helmet
  2. TORSO: Giant's hauberk
  3. NECK: Jewel of Fallhaven (no Marrowtaint - RPG decision)
  4. RINGS: Villian's ring 1x and Ring of the protector 1x
  5. HANDS: Heavy plated gloves
  6. FEET: Boots of the Globetrotter (even with max Heavy armor prof., this boots still gives better BC compare to boots in heavy armor category)
Now, the weapon of choice, since he is wearing heavy armor, so forget about critical hits. None whatsoever, in addition to the fact that most longswords have no crits, except of Flagstone's pride. Broadswords are just not worth getting, they don't do enough damage to cover their slowness. So, to my surprise, he is best wearing 2x Defender's blade. I never thought of using this sword until when I play around with different longswords (Balanced steel sword and Steel sword - I'll talk about these two below).

So, the final combat stats are as follow:
Max AP: 12
Re-equip cost (AP): 5
Use item cost (AP): 5
Move cost (AP): 5
Attack cost (AP): 4 (3 hits/round)
Attack chance: 224
Attack damage: 68-85 (x3 in a round)
Block chance: 122
Damage resistance: 3

I know, it will be slower in killing compare to a critical hitter (I have a dual dagger rogue with crit skills). However, with it's BC and DR, it can withstand most attacks with help of food and potions.

Prior to using Defender's blade, I was keen on dual wielding Balanced steel sword because of its high Attack chance to compensate heavy armor's penalties. However, after purchasing various equiptments to mix and match, I found that dual wielding Defender's Blade deals better damage compare to dual wielding Balanced steel sword, while still have decent Attack chance--if I need higher Attack chance, say, to face spiders, I switch to dual wielding Balance steel sword. I can have better damage by wearing two Villain's ring, but that will lower my Block chance.

I am not saying this is the best build, but I think this is the better one when you want to try heavy armor build. All in all, dual wielding compensates the need for Attack chance, and by maxing dual wield and heavy armor proficiency skills, you won't be able to--or have to wait for higher level--get other fancy skills like Taunt, Concussion, or Cleave. Though, when/if you do get those skills, at the current stage of AT, you are high enough level NOT to need them to survive any fights.

On the other hand, I've tried Greataxe and Two-handed sword with heavy armor built before, and I cannot have enough AC or BC (I have to trade one for the other). Forget heavy armor with shield, it's just bad for your AC (In multiplayers, it makes a great tank, but you don't play tank in solo game, which AT is).

I am hoping in a near future, the dev will give heavy armors better stats or advantage compare to light armors. Currently any build with light armors can do more than heavy armors, and gives better stats too (Boots of the Globetrotter, for one).

Now that I am nearing 48, which will give an extra skill pt, I am not sure what to do with it. Any suggestion?

Edit/PS: I did try dual wielding Hunter's swords, and I don't find it better at all. I don't know why people feel that Hunter's sword is so good, but the fact that it has chance of minor berserker rage actually hurts when I am hit. The restore AP doesn't do much even when I am facing multiple opponents. Plus, it does lower damage than my current build.
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: Review: Dual wield w/ heavy armor

Post by Osho »

Worn plated gloves -4AC, 7BC, Dazed 20% chance (4 rounds) is better for you. It'll help to reduce the opponents BC to increase the chance of hits.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Worn plated gloves and the shadowstalker. With Heavy armor proficiency (4), the Shadowstalker is a must, as in my opinion it is simply the best armor in the game.
Screenshot_20201116-172656.png
Screenshot_20201116-172642.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Soullessktty

Post by Soullessktty »

I opt out shadowstalker because of the lower BC and AC penalty. Plus, Lancelot hasn't met Hira'zinn. Maybe I'll do another comparison when I get it.

As of worn plated gloves, it does lower opponent AC, but I don't see much difference so far. Anyway, you'll need to land a hit first and then 20% chance, so if I cannot land a hit, then no daze at all.
Osho

Post by Osho »

Soullessktty wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:08 am Anyway, you'll need to land a hit first and then 20% chance, so if I cannot land a hit, then no daze at all.
Really? I thought a condition can be inflicted irrespective of the hit.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Nope. Worn Plated Gloves inflict Dazed on 20% of the successful hits by the player.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Osho

Post by Osho »

Antison wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:17 am Nope. Worn Plated Gloves inflict Dazed on 20% of the successful hits by the player.
Surprised. Is this a general rule for all equipments with conditions that a successful hit is a must, or only applicable for the gloves in question?

I am sure I read somewhere that conditions inflicted and melee hits on the target are calculated separately.
Soullessktty

Post by Soullessktty »

You have to check the wording in the equiptment stats.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Osho

Post by Osho »

That doesn't mean you have to make a successful hit. While hitting the target, there's a 20% chance of a condition being inflicted.

You have to obviously hit the target for the chance [die roll] of coming up with an outcome, be it a successful melee hit or a condition.

I would request a response on whether both conditions and melee attacks are considered one and the same for the probability to make a successful hit after rolling the die?
Soullessktty

Post by Soullessktty »

I don't think the way it works need to be changed. But the wording itself to "On successful hit" instead of "On hitting"