v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Parrying weapons ?

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Parrying weapons ?

Post by Osho »

I request to include more parrying weapons.

Not only an alternative to dual wielding skills but are equally good replacement for shields.

While I understand the limited scope in changing the values that affect combat statistics to offer enough variety, there is a great potential to make parrying weapons as a source for introducing variety of conditions that the players can inflict after equipping it.

The conditions are criminally underutilized by the developers for bringing a much needed variety in the combat with only a bunch of effects utilized and repeated more often than required, be it bleeding wounds, poison damage, etc.

Parrying weapons can be an excellent way of bringing new conditions to use during combat, be it positive, negative, or even having both in 1 weapon combination?
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Re: Parrying weapons ?

Post by Tomcat »

Osho wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:37 am I request to include more parrying weapons.

Not only an alternative to dual wielding skills but are equally good replacement for shields.

While I understand the limited scope in changing the values that affect combat statistics to offer enough variety, there is a great potential to make parrying weapons as a source for introducing variety of conditions that the players can inflict after equipping it.

The conditions are criminally underutilized by the developers for bringing a much needed variety in the combat with only a bunch of effects utilized and repeated more often than required, be it bleeding wounds, poison damage, etc.

Parrying weapons can be an excellent way of bringing new conditions to use during combat, be it positive, negative, or even having both in 1 weapon combination?
First, parrying weapons are brand new, and it has already been stated on the board that their use is expected to expand. Please pay attention before you criticize.

Second, before you use abusive terms like "criminally" in reference to the dev team, who are giving their free time to make this game possible and repeatedly state that their primary focus has to be on adding new content, you might want to think about whether your credibility is at stake.

Being a self-appointed gadfly has never and will never contribute positively to a project. Try learning how much work all this is, and show some respect to those who are doing it.

I agree with some of your ideas and not others. That's normal in any group sharing ideas. But I do not hold with people regularly heaping abuse on volunteers for not having a completed game that exactly meets your individual concept of crystalline perfection. This is by no means the first time you have been insulting. Try suggesting without insulting people. Try offering help. Try just not being abusive.

Your path through the world will become both more pleasant and more productive if you do.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Osho

Post by Osho »

Don't mean to insult at all. I know the developers are working with almost no community support.

The term wasn't used as an insult but to attract developers attention about how really underused conditions is as a feature in the combat, that's all.

Next time I will make sure to talk in a manner that doesn't appear like directly insulting to the developers. Coming from an rpgcodex forum environment, where members are completely direct, and frank in their thoughts and criticisms, sometimes I tend to forget the use of a slightly lighter tone in forums outside rpgcodex.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Osho,

You want my attention? You want me to implement what you're asking? You need to stop with the negativity. You need to stop bashing a game that I have loved for nine years. A game that I've contributed to both in development and in ideas for 9 years. Like Tom said, let's start being more positive and contributing positive ideas and solutions as opposed to continuing to pile on more work for us to do with negativity.

The first quest I ever did was the "strange looking dagger" and this was after 9 years of playing the game. But you know what really motivates me to write more quests? Not you in your negativity. It's all of the other people that have come back with positive feedback on the quest. I am also the one that added to the "missing husband" and to the "perception is not reality" quests. I have at least two more ideas at a percolating in my head. Reading what you have to say on a daily basis really does not motivate me to work on anything. I have so many things going on in my real life that I have not had time to even focus on AT development. But I will get there after Christmas.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
CUCHULAINN3
android_version: 13 - Android 13

Post by CUCHULAINN3 »

Antison wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:49 pm Osho,

You want my attention? You want me to implement what you're asking? You need to stop with the negativity. You need to stop bashing a game that I have loved for nine years. A game that I've contributed to both in development and in ideas for 9 years. Like Tom said, let's start being more positive and contributing positive ideas and solutions as opposed to continuing to pile on more work for us to do with negativity.

The first quest I ever did was the "strange looking dagger" and this was after 9 years of playing the game. But you know what really motivates me to write more quests? Not you in your negativity. It's all of the other people that have come back with positive feedback on the quest. I am also the one that added to the "missing husband" and to the "perception is not reality" quests. I have at least two more ideas at a percolating in my head. Reading what you have to say on a daily basis really does not motivate me to work on anything. I have so many things going on in my real life that I have not had time to even focus on AT development. But I will get there after Christmas.
Please don't let this get to you. Honestly I like the new quest. And honestly the missing his and update is /was needed. The dagger quest I enjoyed. (You know my only flaw I wish was added with Quasi) but everything is great.
Sinn Féin~~~saighdiúir éireannach
Schmmiiirc
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Schmmiiirc »

I'm quite surprised that Osho is still playing: there really doesn't seem to be one single aspect of the game that he's satisfied with.

I don't play many games, but if I'd tried one where I disliked so many things in it, I'd go and find something else instead.

There are some parts of AT that I dislike, but not enough to stop me from playing (or ask for those parts to be changed).

WYSIWYG
See the puppies scatter.
CUCHULAINN3
android_version: 13 - Android 13

Post by CUCHULAINN3 »

Schmmiiirc wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:03 pm I'm quite surprised that Osho is still playing: there really doesn't seem to be one single aspect of the game that he's satisfied with.

I don't play many games, but if I'd tried one where I disliked so many things in it, I'd go and find something else instead.

There are some parts of AT that I dislike, but not enough to stop me from playing (or ask for those parts to be changed).

WYSIWYG
Thank you
You said it better than if I tried and get a ban here. There are things I wish was different but it's great.

I don't know why there is a issue with every single thing
Sinn Féin~~~saighdiúir éireannach
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

As already stated, parrying weapons are new. They are an option, like many other options. More will be added, but don't expect any that give you all the benefits of a weapon and all the benefits of a shield at the same time.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Osho

Post by Osho »

I understand. Not asking to replace other features in place, but suggesting to make it better. I'd even request to extend the conditions to the shields as well. Shields are the least attractive for me among the rest of the builds.

IMO Conditions can help to make all the different builds attractive for the player to pick and experiment.

Right now, I feel that certain builds end up being those that I already experienced in previous playthroughs after reaching at a certain point in the game. This is why I was trying to place a strong importance on using features like the conditions among other things I had shared in the past. To open up more options for experiment for all the builds so that no two playthroughs feel the same.
CKork
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by CKork »

Actually. With your suggestions, all the playthroughs would end up the same. Overpowered character and boring.

I like the currenr look and feel. And i strongly disagree. Different chars feel very different.
Andor's "Vanilla" Bro
:ElyR x1:RolS x2:RoflS x1:RoL x2:HoF x1:ChaR x2:GoLF x1:ShaF x2:SRoV x1:VSH x3:WMC x1:GoW x2:BD x1:HS x2:
LVL 35 (+24 dmg, 2x IF, next to no quests & unique bosses, xp saved 2get2 lvl 80 straight)