v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

How not to lose Lifetaker[SPOILER]

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
blueblack_star
android_version: 5.0

Re: How not to lose Lifetaker[SPOILER]

Post by blueblack_star »

Elytra wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:47 pm Lifetaker is a 4AP cost weapon that you can obtain while doing the Mine for the Taking quest and you'll have to give to Hagale or kill him but for me I don't want to kill him.
1.Sell the sword to Lowyna(don't sleep after you sold it).

2.Talk to Hagale and tell him you sold it.

3.Give him 1000 Gold.

4.Buy the sword again to Lowyna.

And done you completed the quest without killing him and without losing the Lifetaker.

Or you could just press the leave when he said let's fight.
I just curious how much you buy it from Lowyna? I think there is other way that much less risk and cheap.
Before met Hagale just drop the sword near you and then you talk to Hagale. He only ask you for money and you don't need to kill him. I did it for my 2 character
Elytra
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Elytra »

I think its 5189 Gold
CUCHULAINN3
android_version: 13 - Android 13

Post by CUCHULAINN3 »

There is another option
MINE FOR THE TAKING
There are four outcomes here)

Tell him you sold it
Give it to him
Trick the engine to thinking you killed him, but you really didn't)
Kill him

On the way to Remgard there is a house where a guy buys your Izthiel claws. Go there, and instead of going inside go tad east I'm front of the cabin then south

Outside of the graveyard is a chest
In plain sight, you find a large extravagantly adorned treasure chest. Glancing around, it appears the chest is unattended. You think to yourself...
(You): I should take a peek inside.
The chest is locked.
You think to yourself...
(You): Nothing my weapon couldn't handle.
[Quest updated: "Mine for the taking"]
Multiple strikes from your weapon do not damage the chest. The chest is protected by some form of magic.
(You): That is probably why the chest was left outside in plain sight, unattended.

Go to the guy standing by the well
Waterway traveler: Hey, did you try to open that treasure chest?
(You): Yes.
Waterway traveler: That chest is something of a local legend. Been there for generations. They say it is sealed with magic and can only be opened with a special key, which hangs on the neck of one of the undead that roam in a cemetery directly south of here.
(You): Killing the undead is my specialty.
Waterway traveler: You don't think someone has already tried? It's a treasure chest ... left outside ... in plain view ... unguarded.
Waterway traveler: Listen kid. A hundred 'adventurers' before you have tried and failed to open that chest. The problem isn't killing some undead. It's getting into the cemetery, because it's protected by a magical barrier that prevents anyone from entering.
(You): Interesting. Is there anything else you can tell me about the chest or cemetery?
Waterway traveler: That is all I know ... Come to think of it ... Hagale from the Wood Settlement was out here a few weeks ago asking about the chest. Something about him struck me as odd. It was as if he was in a trance.
Waterway traveler: Maybe he knows more. You should give him a visit.
(You): Where is the Wood settlement?
Waterway traveler: South of the Duleian road, close to Fallhaven.
(You): OK. I'll go there now.

Woodcutter's Settlement
(The same place you got the rat poison)
(To the left of the Tavern)
Hagale: Hey kid! Why don't you be a good little boy and fetch me some Lowyna's special brew?
Hagale: [This man smells of alcohol and some plant-like substance; he is clearly intoxicated]
(You): I heard you were interested in that unattended treasure chest by the Waterway house.
Hagale: Oh yeah? What's it to you kid? ... BURP ... If you want to know, it will cost you two bottles of Lowyna's special brew.
*Buys the two bottles*
(Return)
Hagale: Alright kid!
[Hagale immediately opens one of the bottles and takes a big swig, which he loudly swallows before wiping his mouth on the sleeve of his tattered shirt]
Yeah, I know something about that chest ... *burp* ... I almost opened it.
Hagale: I heard rumors about an unguarded treasure chest. I heard that the key that opened it, hung around the neck of an undead roaming the cemetery south of the chest. I also heard that the entrance to the cemetery was sealed by magic.
Hagale: I thought nothing more of it. I was a simple trader in Loneford with a beautiful wife and daughter.
[Hagale takes another long swig from the bottle of Lowyna's special brew]
Hagale: That was until I had to travel to Remgard to purchase some new inventory. I normally make the trip alone. This time however, my wife and daughter decided to accompany me to Remgard.
Hagale: We were only halfway there when we were attacked by Plaguestriders. My daughter and I managed to escape...
[Hagale takes another long swig from the bottle of Lowyna's special brew]
...but my wife did not survive.
Hagale: My daughter was afflicted by a nasty form of blistering skin. I rushed her back to Loneford. I thought with rest, good food, and water she could pull through ... but although the blisters were gradually healing, my daughter's health continued to decline.
Hagale: [Hagale takes another swig from the bottle of Lowyna's special brew]
I realized that she wouldn't make it.
I watched as she suffered in agonizing pain. I knew without treatment she would die in a matter of weeks.
Hagale: I had to do something. I went to Fallhaven and begged Thoronir to make me a bonemeal potion. Although it would have cured my daughter completely, he refused because Lord Geomyr banned all use of bonemeal as a healing substance!
[Hagale takes another long swig from the bottle of Lowyna's special brew and finishes it. He proceeds to open the second the bottle.]
Hagale: Still, I did not give up. I thought that if I opened the chest and gave its treasure as a gift to Lord Geomyr, I could plead with him to lift the bonemeal ban in time to save my daughter. It sounds stupid but I was desperate.
(You): I searched the land for information about the chest and graveyard. I spent my entire fortune in the process. My last few coins resulted in a tip that directed me to a group of bandits.
Hagale: A few days later, I tracked the bandits down. I begged and pleaded but they would not volunteer any information. They were obviously after the chest themselves, and they attacked me.
Hagale: I may be a trader, but traders have to learn how to protect themselves. The first few went down easily, but the leader was an experienced fighter. We fought for over an hour, but eventually I managed to kill him. I searched the body and found an ancient text.
Hagale: The text described a cemetery sealed by magic to contain a powerful undead monster roaming within it. My source was correct, it was a reference to the cemetery south of that chest.
Hagale: The magical barrier at the cemetery could only be penetrated by someone carrying the text, which contained several magical inscriptions.
Hagale: I took the best weapons and armor from the bandits, and made my way to the cemetery. Carrying the ancient text in my front pouch, I approached the entrance to the cemetery. I was only a few feet away when the text began to glow.
Hagale: The ground began to tremble and darkness filled the sky. This was followed by a cracking sound, the loudest sound my ears ever heard, making a gust of cold air rush past me. Then, corpses began to claw their way to the surface. The odor ... it was putrid.
Hagale: Suddenly, a horde of undead attacked me. I fought them off as best I could but there were just too many. I barely escaped with my life and I never went back.
Hagale: My daughter passed away shortly after I returned. I failed my wife and my daughter. I lost everything. I buried my family in Loneford, gave up my trade, and came here. Now, I drink Lowyna's special brew all day ... it helps me forget.
(You): I'm sorry for your losses. You have suffered a lot. I want to finish what you started. Do you still have that text?
[You gained an item]
Hagale: [Hagale finishes the second bottle of Lowyna's special brew]
Sure do. I hope you know what you're doing kid.

Back at the graveyard
[You gained 500 experience]
The text begins to radiate light. The ground begins to shake as darkness fills the sky. A loud cracking sound is followed by a rush of cold air that sends chills down your back. You watch as corpses begin to claw their way to the surface. The stench of rotting flesh fills your nostrils, making you gag.
(Kill your way down to the bottom)

At the Graveyard king
Graveyard king: [You notice this undead is wearing a key around its neck]
(You): I've come for the key.
Graveyard king: You no brain.
(You):Very well.
You survived the encounter. You gained 984 experience. You found 5710 gold.
Graveyard key
The ancient text crumbles and turns to dust. The defeat of the undead master seems to have lifted the spell animating the remaining corpses and they return to their graves.

Back by the chest
In plain sight, you find a large extravagantly adorned treasure chest. Glancing around, it appears the chest is unattended. You think to yourself...
(You): I have the key right here.
[You gained 2500 experience]
[You gained an item]
LifeTaker
A fine blade enhanced by undead forces.
Extraordinary
Category: Longsword
When equipped
Attack cost: 4 AP
Attack chance: 30
Attack damage: 4-7
Damage modifier: 104%
When hitting target
On target
15% chance of Bleeding wound
(2 rounds)
Bleeding wound
Condition category: Blood Disorder
Every round
Drains 1 HP
5% chance of Stunned (1 rounds)
Stunned
Condition category: Physical Capacity
Constant effect
Increases attack cost by 5 AP
Lowers max AP by 2
Move cost penalty +8 AP
You open the chest and discover a powerful sword infused with unholy magic.

Back at Waterway Traveler
Waterway traveler: Greetings, young traveler.
(You): I opened that chest and got a powerful sword.
Waterway traveler: I should not have doubted you. Well done.

(There are four outcomes here. One is a trick of the engine. *That hopefully gets fixed*)
Tell

Tell him you sold it
Give it to him
Trick the engine
Kill him

Back to Hagale
Option one

¹ Hagale: Hey kid! Why don't you be a good little boy and fetch me some Lowyna's special brew?
Hagale: [This man smells of alcohol and some plant-like substance; he is clearly intoxicated]
(You): I defeated the undead monster and opened the chest. I found a powerful sword inside.
Hagale: You actually opened the chest? That sword must be worth a lot of money ... could buy a lot of Lowyna's special brew ... Sorry kid, but I need that sword!
(You): I did find the sword, but I don't have it anymore.
Hagale: So where is it?
(You): I sold it.
Hagale: I gave you the text you needed to get that sword. I think some of that gold should be mine. If you don't give me some then I'll take it from you.
(You): OK, OK. I guess it's fair that you should get a share. Here's 1000 gold.
[Quest completed: "Mine for the taking"]
[You gained 1000 experience]
Hagale: Thanks kid. It's good to see you have some honor.
(Return)
Hagale: Thanks for the gold kid. I decided that with the money I can rebuild my life. I'm going to sober up and start trading again. I'll be leaving here soon.
(You): Good luck!

Option two

² Hagale: Hey kid! Why don't you be a good little boy and fetch me some Lowyna's special brew?
(You): I defeated the undead monster and opened the chest. I found a powerful sword inside.
Hagale: You actually opened the chest? That sword must be worth a lot of money ... could buy a lot of Lowyna's special brew ... Sorry kid, but I need that sword!
(You): I went through a lot to get this sword ... but you suffered more than me. I won't fight you. If you want it that badly, the sword is yours.
[You gained 1500 experience]
(Return)
Hagale: Thanks for letting me have the sword kid. I decided that with the money I can get for this I can rebuild my life. I'm going to sober up and start trading again. I'll be leaving here soon.
(You): Best of luck!

Option three

³ Hagale: Hey kid! Why don't you be a good little boy and fetch me some Lowyna's special brew?
(You): I went through hell to get this sword. I won't give it to you without a fight.
Hagale: Let's go.
(You): I'm sorry it has come to this.
*(Click leave and you complete the quest yet he stays as an active NPC)*

Option four

⁴ Hagale: Hey kid! Why don't you be a good little boy and fetch me some Lowyna's special brew?
(You): I went through hell to get this sword. I won't give it to you without a fight.
Hagale: Let's go.
(You): I'm sorry it has come to this.
You survived the encounter. You gained 439 experience. You found 200 gold.

★(Not an option but if you carry the sword in your hand)★
*Hagale: Hey kid! Why don't you be a good little boy and fetch me some Lowyna's special brew?
(You): Yes, I have the sword, see here!
Hagale: Hey kid! Stop waving that thing at me! If you want to talk to me, put it away first!*

If you visit the Southside of Loneford graveyard
Here lies Damurrela of Loneford, wife of Hagale and mother of Aradilles. Killed by Plaguestriders

Here lies Aradilles of Loneford, daughter of Hagale and Damurrela. Died from blistering skin.
Sinn Féin~~~saighdiúir éireannach
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Osho »

My criticism and suggestions for each approach as mentioned in the OP

1. Sell then Buy - It is wrong to sell the sword to any random NPC w/o any conversation. Clear abuse of the trading system. Instead the developers should introduce possible list of NPC's who would want to buy the sword across the map. There are many underutilized NPC's available!
Based on the risk-reward ratio a sum of gold could be fixed in exchange, or something different in the form of an ITEM in return of the sword. Maybe another oegyth crystal? Or a unique item? To make it more interesting, the developers can introduce multiple possible rewards different NPC's would offer!

2. Drop then Pick - This option doesn't make sense. If Hagale can see you wielding the sword then how come he doesn't notice the same when you drop it? This loophole should be removed. Hagale should not be allowed to fall for such tricks. The same reaction similar to equipping the sword should be extended when you drop the weapon.

3. Talk then Leave - Again. It doesn't make sense. Should be removed.

4. Keep the sword without killing Hagale? - This option should be introduced. To make this possible, my suggestion would be to make Hagale forget the past and start a new life with a set of additional conversation. Or, the player should not carry the weapon in the inventory, at all. Tell Hagale you have lost it. Now, the player has two choices to avoid fighting - 1) Give Hagale something different (valuable item) in replacement to Lifetaker, or 2) Pay a much larger sum of gold then currently asked from the player in the game.
ruleofthirds13
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop

Post by ruleofthirds13 »

i drop then talk, i said i sold the sword ans give him a gold for the starting his life again.
but i don't think it is worth to use the sword the effectiveness of condition is too low (%).
so another just a treasure item(fancy), for me.
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Osho »

The sword is really good as a dual wielding weapon. Even as a single hand weapon it is worth having for the base damage values. Stun effect %chance could be surely increased to match the risks the player takes in unlocking it after fighting all the dangerous opponents.