v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Andor's Trail Content Studio [ATCS] - Win/Mac/Linux Content Editor

Discussions of the development process of the game.
zizkin
android_version: 7.0

Re: Andor's Trail Content Studio [ATCS] - Win/Mac/Linux Content Editor

Post by zizkin »

On a fresh download in Ubuntu I get the same as Milo Hiroya and I only see a 'dancing' progress bar and message saying "Please wait. Loading your workspace". As root the theme is different and it loads quikcly.
In W10 I just upgraded the java and I get just the same behaviour as in Ubuntu. User cannot run it and the same as in Ubuntu is shown, when running as Admin it starts quickly.
In W10 I tried to copy the configCache file in C:\Users\amdin\AppData\Roaming\Andor's Trail Content Studio\
to
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Andor's Trail Content Studio\
but no success. Still cannot run it as user. Solution is easy: run as admin.
Do you have any idea how to solve this to run it as user? Downgrade java?
Grawmpy
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop

Post by Grawmpy »

Here is a request for the developers. :idea:

It would be great if someone would take the time and do a step-by-step walkthrough on how to use the ATCS editor, a step-by-step annotation from installation all the way to the point where someone can actually start creating some content.

I have looked around on github, and, as far as I can see, there are no instructions for learning how to use the program and it seems to assume there is already a fair knowledge of how the process works. Seems like it's a hit and miss sort of learning process right now. I would love to try to create content for submission, but I can't seem to figure out how to get anything to work beyond directing the editor to the master content folder.

What I have done so far is:
1) unzipped the master to a folder
2) directed the editor to the master folder

But that's as far as I can get :? . I don't see any files which can opened in any folder I open. I have decent knowledge of html and some php, but I have no experience with java whatsoever. I may be missing something easy, but as it is, I don't have enough knowledge to even know what I am missing or where to start. Some easy-to-follow directions would make this so much better and, might increase the amount of submitted content. If there is some information that I am not able to find, a link to this would be great. If it's in a previous post there is just too much information to sift through in order to find it. IMHO I think there are many out there like me who would like to assist in creating content but are stymied by the assumed level of expertise in order to use ATCS.

Please feel free to PM me with any information...
Name: Grawmpy
Level: 42, Total XP: 1317231, XP: 7076 HP: 110, AD: 41-56, AP: 4, ECC: 31%, CM: 4.5, BC: 100, DR: 4 Gold: 365320 | RoLS: 2, RoL: 1 :evil:
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Did you create a project (File menu)?
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

It sounds like you are almost there. It should look something like this once you've created a project:
Screenshot at August 31st 2021 - 7.16.52 pm.png
Also while it is a long thread I would advise at least skimming through it or using the forum search as there are a lot of helpful tips/tricks if you get stuck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grawmpy
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop

Post by Grawmpy »

Do people ever read a post before commenting? Did it mention in my post that I created anything? I was expecting to OPEN a file, not having to create anything. Why would I create a project, shouldn't that be in the master folder already? How would I know to add a project (or where) when THERE IS NO DOCUMENTATION explaining how to use the program!!!
Name: Grawmpy
Level: 42, Total XP: 1317231, XP: 7076 HP: 110, AD: 41-56, AP: 4, ECC: 31%, CM: 4.5, BC: 100, DR: 4 Gold: 365320 | RoLS: 2, RoL: 1 :evil:
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

That's why we asked if you had created a project :D

A project is a workspace, where you can alter content or add new content. You must have at least one such workspace. When you create a project you must point it at a copy of the sources.

I have a base project that I created called "sandbox". It's where I just play with ideas. If I don't like it, I just erase everything. I have thirteen other projects (some now closed, because the material has been released), as well as a number of archived ones that no longer show up in ATCS. Something like sandbox would be a good place to start.
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Grawmpy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:40 pm Why would I create a project, shouldn't that be in the master folder already? How would I know to add a project (or where) when THERE IS NO DOCUMENTATION explaining how to use the program!!!
I never managed to write a full documentation, but there's this topic that covers how to get started step by step : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5938

I hope it helps.

Edit : I'd like to add that atcs was created for two use cases : fixing existing content, and creating new content.
Moreover, most new features are explained (summarily) in the release post for the version they were introduced in, so this thread is a gold mine : hard to dig, but full of treasures.
The worst offender is the "Writer mode". It's a very nice feature, but not intuitive at all, with zero documentation... I don't think anyone used it at all except me, but it's made to quickly create long dialogues without technical interruptions...
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Zukero wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:01 pm I don't think anyone used it at all except me.
I used it once :lol:
Raphi
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by Raphi »

Hey,
just a few ideas and issues I encountered while using ATCS:

1) A ctrl+S hotkey to save the current tab would be nice
2) Making these tabs draggable to reorder them would also be nice
3) Copying a Data Element would help for repetitive tasks (eg. creating many similar NPCs/Monsters)
4) Don't know if that's the case with other too, but for me I cannot import Tiled Maps that already have Object Elements like Spawn Areas or Mapchange Areas on it. In fact, I can import them but ATCS throws an Error and if I save the project and close it, I am unable to open my workspace again. I have to go back to tiled and remove all those Object Elements before I can open ATCS again. This is annoying because if I want to edit existing maps I always have to re-add all those Elements in ATCS. If this was fixed, that would be great ;)
5) Has anyone got Tilesets for Ships and Boats? Kinda missing that for my project ^^
EDIT: 6) Also if created Game Data Elements like Maps and NPCs would be sorted alphabetically in the Tree it would be easier to search through it. (A search bar would make this even easier)

EDIT2: These Boat Tiles could fit: Anyway, ATCS is great, thanks Zukero for making it! :)
Lvl: 68, XP: 5705044, Gold: 104341, RoLS: 1
Hp: 244, AC: 282, AD: 20-31, BC: 157, DR: 6
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Raphi wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:34 pm Hey,
just a few ideas and issues I encountered while using ATCS:

1) A ctrl+S hotkey to save the current tab would be nice
2) Making these tabs draggable to reorder them would also be nice
If we find the time.
Raphi wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:34 pm 3) Copying a Data Element would help for repetitive tasks (eg. creating many similar NPCs/Monsters)
We all just edit the JSON in Notepad++
Raphi wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:34 pm 4) Don't know if that's the case with other too, but for me I cannot import Tiled Maps that already have Object Elements like Spawn Areas or Mapchange Areas on it. In fact, I can import them but ATCS throws an Error and if I save the project and close it, I am unable to open my workspace again. I have to go back to tiled and remove all those Object Elements before I can open ATCS again. This is annoying because if I want to edit existing maps I always have to re-add all those Elements in ATCS. If this was fixed, that would be great ;)
Do not add these things in Tiled, only in ATCS. Use Tiled only for the graphics. Tiled allows you to do things that ATCS (and AT) do not support. It's not clear to me why you would want to add them in Tiled anyway. It's much easier in ATCS.
Raphi wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:34 pm 5) Has anyone got Tilesets for Ships and Boats? Kinda missing that for my project ^^
EDIT: 6) Also if created Game Data Elements like Maps and NPCs would be sorted alphabetically in the Tree it would be easier to search through it. (A search bar would make this even easier)

EDIT2: These Boat Tiles could fit: Anyway, ATCS is great, thanks Zukero for making it! :)
map_boats_1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.