v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Andor's Trail v0.7.14 released!

Official news about Andor's Trail.
draze
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Andor's Trail v0.7.14 released!

Post by draze »

Osho wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:30 pm The price is quite high to make it worth except for grinding purposes with little to no harm in snake cave, or other low tier monsters.
Welcome to the world of AT specifically in Dhayavar from where you are the youngest son of a farmer- young kid- and is looking for his old brother. :D What will you expect? Ergo, almost all of the prices are high because we are farmer's son. We can only afford is a bread to satisfy hunger. :)
Osho wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:30 pm It is essentially meant to make life easy to collect loot that you can sell for gold, and doesn't work for my low BC character created with high AC/DMG playthrough in mind. What really works is actually a combination of high BC items from armor, cap, gloves or shoes whichever fits the bill and requirement.

1DR with just 5 BC won't help until I further increase DR related items in combination, which are largely low on BC. It's useful for grinding purposes but not much in terms of tackling quests with high XP and/or better loot to sell.
What do you expect? You have to deal with the low BC because, according to the story, the main character (you) is a young kid and a son of a farmer.

Osho wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:30 pm I could spend 1800 to get a cap+armor+gloves that'll boost BC for the total price.
IMO 1DR item for low tier armor isn't worth it since DR is best suited for top-tier armors. In early levels, BC, AC and DMG are important as the game does not offer freedom to spend points equally. AC is +5 fixed, while BC is lower at +3BC and DMG is the lowest at +1 per level, thus a +1DR isn't worth for my investment if the base values like BC, AC or DMG of the armor are low itself
I understand you want to progress faster. We have a lot of different characters to build to. Some prefer to build tanky (high bc and DR but low ac), precise fighter (high ac but low bc and DR), balancer (balanced stats), samurai (high crits), mixer (from the name itself), and many more! Ergo, if this item doesn't help you, then for others "yes, this helps me a lot".
If you want to boost BC from the first start, then why not? Other players wanted to raise AD from the first start, while others prefer Crits, while others choose DR.
It's up to you of what you want to wear and to do in this game.

BTW, are you suggesting to decrease the shop's price by 20% to 30%?
Also, to increase BC (from 0 to IDK 15) from the first start of the game?
Last edited by draze on Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your quest has been fulfilled! It's time for a nap.
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Osho »

draze wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:52 am I understand you want to progress faster. We have a lot of different characters to build to.
That's the crux of my argument! By progression, I am referring to the pace at which we are finally able to exercise our choices with enough gold for equipment/items to pick.

Increasing gold through better loot or reduction of store prices for certain low tier category DON'T make the game easy, It only improves the pace or progression of the game, reduces the exhausting hours of grinding and encourages more experiment.

Is that bad to ask for?

There's very little room to manoeuvre between stuff possible to buy and options to earn gold. Some breathing space is unlikely to affect the difficulty as the stats progression is tied to XP. Not gold.

Low tier items are less powerful but balanced to make much difference if a poor farmer's kid can buy a bit early and easily. It won't turn him into superman that can mow the monsters.

Mid to top tier categories are fine as is

What will certainly help is the hours it takes to get over the starting areas compared to time it currently takes grinding for gold to buy even 600+ item.

A poor farmer's kid doesn't need to be punished so much into grinding. The kid deserves something called empathy. Being poor doesn't mean you have to make him struggle so much by taking away the options to progress faster despite statistically at L20 the kid is almost as powerful as most monsters around starting areas.
BTW, are you suggesting to decrease the shop's price by 20% to 30%?
Also, to increase BC (from 0 to IDK 15) from the first start of the game?
Yes, but only limited to low tier items. Mid tier items also needs to be adjusted but only in starting areas. Not the stores in Stoutford, Minarra or anywhere else other than Fallhaven/Vilegard
RaptorNXT
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by RaptorNXT »

I feel Osho's requests above might make the game less challenging and thus less fun. It's quite good the way it is.

And, IMHO, the 'poor farmer's kid' bit is not in good taste...
RaptorNXT

Sentinel
L = 90
AC = 352
AD = 47-63
CHS = 31
CM = 2
ECC = 19%

BC = 143
DR = 11

Shadow Regeneration

WA L2, HH L2, BS L2, CS L2, CL L2, CE L2, IF, Reg, Evsn, OHSP L3, SP L2
Fighting style: W&S L2
Specialization: W&S L1
Osho

Post by Osho »

RaptorNXT wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:26 am I feel Osho's requests above might make the game less challenging and thus less fun. It's quite good the way it is.
Not really, easy. But, I would say manageable, cuts the time on grinding, and gives the player more leeway to try different builds

Here's an example.

L24 - Check out the statistics, esp base values. 10 levels in AC, rest all in DMG, so far. Crissglen, Fallheven, Stoutford, Crossroads, Loneford quests completed.

Look at the amount of grinding it took to have the items I bought so far. Check the monsters killed stats.

2 villains ring, superior steel dagger, heavy steel skullcap, lightweight chainmail, jewel of fallhaven.

Thieves quest helped to cover up the costs to some extent. But, the maximum time went into grinding for meat, and loot from Flagstone prison, and highwayman.

If people think its good gaming to spend so many hours in the starting areas just to make gold, then I am all okay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
draze

Post by draze »

RaptorNXT wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:26 am I feel Osho's requests above might make the game less challenging and thus less fun. It's quite good the way it is.

And, IMHO, the 'poor farmer's kid' bit is not in good taste...
My bad. :oops:
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

Why so much focus on using purchasable items versus using the items that you get from quest completion? Arguably for a lot of builds I'm familiar with (I'm sure there's plenty I'm not familiar with) best in slot is only rarely a purchased item.

I would love to get a real historical economist to take a crack at helping fix the gold situation. Part of the issue is the single monetary value is not currently set. What is the equivalent value of 1 gold in the world? Once that can be figured out the rest can be built up from there.
CUCHULAINN3
android_version: 13 - Android 13

Post by CUCHULAINN3 »

sdevaney wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:17 am Why so much focus on using purchasable items versus using the items that you get from quest completion? Arguably for a lot of builds I'm familiar with (I'm sure there's plenty I'm not familiar with) best in slot is only rarely a purchased item.

I would love to get a real historical economist to take a crack at helping fix the gold situation. Part of the issue is the single monetary value is not currently set. What is the equivalent value of 1 gold in the world? Once that can be figured out the rest can be built up from there.
Here's lie the issue. (Grind or have 300k by Leve 40.
I still say it won't be hard have a
Learner
Adventure
Expert
Level when you first start. Yes your level 590 at beginning
But level 67 at expert

It's more coding but also not really. Your just adjusting the. Ep per your choice. So what of a noob beets the game. But why not try to be a better person
Sinn Féin~~~saighdiúir éireannach
Osho

Post by Osho »

sdevaney wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:17 am Why so much focus on using purchasable items versus using the items that you get from quest completion? Arguably for a lot of builds I'm familiar with (I'm sure there's plenty I'm not familiar with) best in slot is only rarely a purchased item.
Weapons, yes.

But stores are the best source for rest of the equipment, esp for boosting overall stats during different phase of the game.

I had suggested in the past that a lot of loot or drop items are really not useful, and the game could benefit from either changing the list of monster drops with better ones, and/or increasing their value for earning gold. This will make the grinding more fun and worth the efforts.
draze

Post by draze »

Osho wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:32 am I had suggested in the past that a lot of loot or drop items are really not useful
IMHO, they are useful in terms of either gold or quests. Soon, all of the drop items categorized by either "others" or "animal part" will be useful. It already started with "Izthiel claws". Or even better...we'll see.
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Osho wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:32 am I had suggested in the past that a lot of loot or drop items are really not useful,
Of course. Why should everything you find or get as a monster drop be useful? What you might get varies from completely useless to a legendary item. IMO very boring if everything is useful in some way.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1