v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Best advice for a new player?

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
ornsio
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Best advice for a new player?

Post by ornsio »

Hey all, I'm new to the game, and wondering what advice you all might have for the early game?

It seems like I'm having to grind an awful lot, and miss on a lot of my attacks. Is AC worth spending skill points on?

I only have one SP so far and spent it to boost my AC, but I've been wondering if that was a mistake since at the time I didn't know how rare it is to get an SP on level up. I also boosted AC on my first three level ups, but it still seems like my attacks miss quite a lot.... I haven't been able to handle any of the dungeons besides the rat cave yet.

I'm curious what people think is a good target endgame AC amount, since I know it has diminishing returns when it gets far enough ahead of the enemy BC.
draze
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Best advice for a new player?

Post by draze »

ornsio wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:41 am Hey all, I'm new to the game
Hello ornsio, welcome to the forum! :D
ornsio wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:41 am and wondering what advice you all might have for the early game?
Here are the links as my answer(s) for your question:
example walkthrough
A brainless strategy for new players
ornsio wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:41 am It seems like I'm having to grind an awful lot, and miss on a lot of my attacks. Is AC worth spending skill points on?
Yes, AT is a matter of grinding game.
It depends of what build you want. We have a lot of different characters to build to. Some prefer to build tanky (high bc and DR but low ac), precise fighter (high ac but low bc and DR), balancer (balanced stats), samurai (high crits), mixer (from the name itself), and many more!
Your quest has been fulfilled! It's time for a nap.
ornsio

Post by ornsio »

I'm probably a "balancer" kind of guy, but I hate missing attacks, so I might lean on the AC.... Was thinking of doing wep+shield build, but seems like dual wield is preferred by a lot of folks here, so I'm undecided there too.

I don't have a ton of gaming time, so relying on legendary drops is probably no good for me.
draze

Post by draze »

ornsio wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:20 am Thanks :-)

I'm probably a "balancer" kind of guy, but I hate missing attacks, so I might lean on the AC.... Was thinking of doing wep+shield build, but seems like dual wield is preferred by a lot of folks here, so I'm undecided there too.

I don't have a ton of gaming time, so relying on legendary drops is probably no good for me.
Oh. A "balance fighter" Just like me :D
No need to worry about missing attacks. Just follow the, old but gold, beginner guides especially this one "
A brainless strategy for new players " because it is the updated version (as of V.0.7.13) :D but it is still applicable for the latest released version of this game (v.0.7.14) ;)

Happy hunting, buddy! :D
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Osho »

- Don't invest in HP when you Level up. Go for the skill Increased fortitude instead

- High BC playthrough is a challenge. It can be pulled off, if you're aware of the store items, in-game loot and quest drops to plan beforehand on distribution of level up points.

- AC is important but going beyond a certain point is not really necessary. Take a pause at some point in order to boost other stats and then later you can push AC further. Check the spreadsheet attached in this topic -- viewtopic.php?t=6613

Understand AC-BC %chance. 220-250 AC is fine. 250-300 AC whenever you enter tougher areas like Green Maze, Charwood, Remgard, including a couple of other areas with high BC monsters.

- D (damage) is something I prefer to invest last after getting an understanding of the overall equipment stats and later start putting points to cover up any shortfall in the stat. You'll need at least 20 in D. Some bosses have high damage resistance so plan accordingly beforehand by investing more. For a new player, at least invest 5 points in D to survive the starting areas.

- Both AC and BC are important early on. D can be managed through purchaseable items. Until you have a decent number of either AC/BC or both, it'll become quite annoying to enter risky areas and survive without lots of potions. Store items are really good to offer a temporary boost in these stats. If you desire to balance both at the same time then I feel it's going to be time consuming because for some reason developers don't offer BC (+3) equal points as AC (+5) on level up, which clearly suggests that AC should be given a priority over BC, but both should be monitored at the same time to suit your needs for different phases of the game whenever you want to proceed.

- Grinding is a pain. Here's how I deal with it;
-- Complete as many quests as possible in Crossglen, Fallhaven, Stoutford, and Vilegard before beginning the grind. It'll offer you gold to buy items and XP to improve stats. Leave certain quests for the later if you find them tough. Don't stress yourself too much. Complete the easier ones, and improve your stats, and gold.
-- Now start purchasing items keeping challenging quests of the starting areas in mind, incl what type of build are you planning ahead.
-- Don't buy bonemeal so soon. 51 Gold is too much. Grinding won't compensate enough. Better consume free meat, and keep a stock of 10-12 antidote potions in hand for any poison effect. Thankfully, it doesn't trigger often.
-- If you're tired with grinding for meat, then switch to Flagstone prison. Here you'll find lots of health potion drops and some swords to sell. Besides, you can target the 2 highwaymen, if stats allow, for the loot/gold - https://andorstrail-directory.github.io ... ighwayman1 and https://andorstrail-directory.github.io ... d9#bandit1

For more: Gold farming -
viewtopic.php?t=4302

These are some quick tips. For the rest you'll build experience the more you play.
Last edited by Osho on Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
draze

Post by draze »

Osho wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:12 am -- Don't buy bonemeal so soon.
BTW, bonemeal is illegal. So better be extra careful when you buy them and travel around Dhayavar. :)
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

I agree with Osho. Take the Increased fortitude skill as soon as you can. Early game, concentrate on completing every quest you can get to, which builds your XP. You can also look at getting some gear that gives you damage resistance. Early in the game this can make a very big difference, because the early monsters may only do 1-2 damage (DR is not as useful later game though).

Things have changed since many of the posts on these forums were written. We rebalanced things. If we got it right, dual wield, sword and shield, two-handed, should be about the same, except that there is limited weapon choices for two-handed.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
ornsio

Post by ornsio »

Thank you all for the great tips, very helpful! :-)