v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Critical Hit Resist.

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Biovr
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Critical Hit Resist.

Post by Biovr »

Can you add a skill to the game that will reduce the damage of enemy critical attacks? This is really very important for balance, especially with the introduction of new, strong enemies that have a chance to hit me 3 times for 72 damage = 216 damage per turn. No matter how well my character is pumped, there will always be a chance that an ordinary enemy can kill me in two moves, without even giving me the opportunity to heal or run away. This is especially in demand for the game mode with one life. When a player cannot save, he has no chance against enemies that deal a critical hit, because in this case, everything comes down not to competent character leveling and tactical, accurate combat, but to a banal randomness.
Growler
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Re: Critical Hit Resist.

Post by Growler »

Interesting + valid point, and along lines of something I've hoped for: some way to scale up certain aspects of the game, so that (for ex), first skill point to DR yields 1 pt of damage reduction, but then the next skill level might provide 2 pts of DR, then 3~4 pts & so on -- that way, DR (among other aspects) scales accordingly & continues to be helpful.

This approach *could* help somewhat with Biovr's suggestion re damage reduction re crit-attacks.

DR = 1 is very helpful early in the game, but soon becomes practically irrelevant. That said, yes--there are ways to continue bolstering DR, but not enough to scale sufficiently. Could say same re level &/or skill-based increases to AC, AD & BC.
Opposition is True Friendship. As your Once & Future Friend, I oppose that notion.
~~~
Black is White, White is Black, 1984 is Back.
Lam al Adie
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by Lam al Adie »

That way DR would make BC fairly irrelevant. DR level 7 would give you 28DR. I'd rather see the game as a challenge...
Lam 'al Adie (pd)
Lvl:68 XP: 5728519 AP: 12/3 HP: 204 AC: 228 AD: 43-55 BC: 164 DR: 7
Skills: WA: 1 Do: 4 CS: 2 IF: 4 Ev: 2 Reg: 1 WP:1S: 1 AP:S: 1 FS:WS: 2 S:WS: 1
ROLS: 1 GoLF: 1
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Maybe Bark Skin skill could add a percentage of DR already provided by equipment? 50%? So if you have DR 2 from equipment, one level of Bark Skin would then get you to DR 3.

Just thinking out loud here
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Growler

Post by Growler »

Good points. Didn't mean to suggest it would double every skill level indefinitely (that would go too high, fersure), but go up along these lines:
1, 2, 3 and max out at 5 (so those 4 skill levels = DR11 from 1+2+3+5), which is high DR total, but then you're not getting benefits from applying those skill pts elsewhere.

Or along lines Antison suggested..make Bark Skin skill a percentage boost to DR from equipment.
Opposition is True Friendship. As your Once & Future Friend, I oppose that notion.
~~~
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

The problem with changing an existing skill is that many have already taken that skill. If we want a resistance to crits, that should be a new skill.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Tyreliss57
android_version: 8.0

Post by Tyreliss57 »

My problem is that I invested in bark skin early and now it doesn't do me any good really. Enemies hit hard enough a few points off doesn't matter, either that or I don't really even notice them it because I have a good bit of health. So I would agree it could use a buff as you get higher on the skill investment for it to make it more useful.
(Edit) I know I only have one point but I still feel that even if I did cap it at 5 it wouldn't do me any good.
Lv104: HP:383, AC:390, AD:50-61, CHS:127, CM:7.5, ECC:45%, BC:157, DR:5, Exp: 20562472
CQ:91, PV:677
BS:1, MC:6, BC:6, CS:2, IF:5, IB:1, Fr:1, WP:D:2, WP:1H:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Osho »

You can't resist a critical blow. No RPG has any such skill IMO. It is a special ability otherwise any counter resistance will dilute its utility.

Bark skin is really good. Don't confuse it with critical but take into account the amount of health points being saved in combat against monsters with high damage. The more the better. It's not a waste since you are also building block chance simultaneously which is the best way to minimise the %chance of critical hits significantly.

I never had any issue with critical hits from the monsters.

I actually have a opposite issue - weak critical skill for the player! It takes so many points to build this ability and still feels underwhelming.

I request new wearable or useable items added in future to have a higher critical hit point bonus to offer. Including, %chance!
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Player crits were actually much more powerful in early versions of the game. They were nerfed because they were OP. I don't see us going back on that decision.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Growler

Post by Growler »

Interesting that Player Crits were nerfed and likely for good reason, but (obviously) Crits only work on some monsters, so that's a sort of built-in nerf already, along with only some weapons having crit capability--and even among those, only a precious few allow 2x or more damage, and they tend to be lower-damage weapons otherwise.

A nice exception is Skullcrusher!
I can do 516 (max) damage with 1 lucky blow. And yet it doesn't feel over-powered as much as empowering. :twisted:
~~~