v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Any point in not getting Combat Speed (1) before you can have CS2 too?

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
gbro
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Any point in not getting Combat Speed (1) before you can have CS2 too?

Post by gbro »

Hello, I am I guess a somewhat of a beginner player, with a single character now at lvl 28, although I've been playing on and off for about an year.

I think (I actually can't find any such claim right now 😬) I read some user say that you should not get Combat Speed (1) until you have the skill point to also get CS2.

Would there really be any point in doing so??

I know that CS1 doesn't have a great effect, and it's probably dumb to get it before lvl 28, but if at this point of my game I'm set at getting CS2 as soon as possible and I will be able to get it with my next skill point (which will come at lvl 32), any advantage in keeping the point I just got at level 28 aside??

At least that +1 AP can help against some condition..! (although sadly that's less likely than I hoped :( )
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Re: Any point in not getting Combat Speed (1) before you can have CS2 too?

Post by Nut »

I would use CS1 already. Only reason to spare the skill points I can think of is that you create a savegame of your level 32 character which you might use later with other skills.
I have never played on an old savegame though, because it is not only the skills that form a character but also the levelup points (attack, block, damage, ...) that you can't change later either.
Nut
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

I save the skill point until I can get level two of it. Why? Because it's freaking annoying as all hell to have to keep hitting the "end" button during battle because you have enough AP to do something but an attack. But of course this all depends on what weapon you're using.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
gbro

Post by gbro »

Nut wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:02 am I would use CS1 already. Only reason to spare the skill points I can think of is that you create a savegame of your level 32 character which you might use later with other skills.
I have never played on an old savegame though, because it is not only the skills that form a character but also the levelup points (attack, block, damage, ...) that you can't change later either.
Yeah indeed, I imagined that could be a reason but I really don't expect to want to do it
gbro

Post by gbro »

Antison wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:49 am I save the skill point until I can get level two of it. Why? Because it's freaking annoying as all hell to have to keep hitting the "end" button during battle because you have enough AP to do something but an attack. But of course this all depends on what weapon you're using.
Oh yeah thanks that sounds like a possible reason, but I'm using a 3 AP weapon (after JoF/Marrowtaint) so 10 or 11 action points shouldn't change anything on that side (but I actually usually just tap somewhere all the time when I fight and don't remember needing to hit "end")
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

If you pair it with the Villain's leather armor, which reduces move cost by 1, then CS1 can make a difference. You can get 2 hits, and then flee.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
gbro

Post by gbro »

rijackson741 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:08 am If you pair it with the Villain's leather armor, which reduces move cost by 1, then CS1 can make a difference. You can get 2 hits, and then flee.
Oh that's interesting, so far I cared so much about move cost that I'm using the Brimhaven rigid plate armour (move cost +1), but I might revise my choices...
gbro

Post by gbro »

Oh using items (potions, food...) is something that CS1 helps with even with my current equipment: Using items always takes 5 APs, so I can attack twice and drink a potion/whatever.

I rarely need to do that, but it's nice to be able to I guess
DawnPhoenix
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Post by DawnPhoenix »

I'm with Antison on this subject, for the most part. Since I prefer to save the point until I can get both, because of the same reason Antison mentioned. Now, this isn't as much an issue on computers emulating Android, since you can use hotkeys for attacking, fleeing, and ending turns, but since I imagine most people play this on a mobile device, and I do as well most of the time, it slows down combat significantly to have action points left at the end of your turns. So, the goal here is to make sure you have either enough attacks to make sure not enough points are left to use another action, or to save the points until you can optimize combat for yourself.

Of course, you should do whatever you feel suits you best.
Usirim2
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Post by Usirim2 »

Sorry that I have to agree.
The "end turn"-button is imho a real fun breaker when equipped with slow weapons.
For me the only reason to use the "end turn" button is to get cycled by enemies to gain big xp for killing as much as possible monsters within one fight (there was a challange once, if anyone remembers}.
But as long a Char is in development to get more powerfull for "high end enemies" it is (for me) so distracting to have to hit this button while I am only wants to win the fight that I normally only develop in dual wield fighting style with swords - using weapons which gives only one or two attacks per round (but muuuuch damage! enabling even one-hit-kills) on strong enemies becomes so - argh! I can't express this without crude words - fun stoppung to me. And why? This strong enemies have normally slowing effects on hits and then there is it: this button which stops the play and all the fun.
If this would happen onky every once in a while I could live with this but when I have to stay in the arulir cave to get the hunter's sword at leadt 3 times I get frustrated.
One very interesting weapon combo is the giant's flail and the yczorah nucleus - but same flaw again when getting hit by certain monsters.
So in my minor opinion the gave looses a lot of variety while forced to push this "end turn" button instead of just tipping the screen further.

Sorry for telling my frustration