New Fighting Style: Duelist

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: New Fighting Style: Duelist

Post by rijackson741 »

In Tiled, make sure you are using the template, or an existing map, to create a new one.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
WarWolf01
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by WarWolf01 »

I would also like put myself in your guys disposals. I may not have the ability to help regarding coding, but I have some experience as beta tester for some games ( especially in RPG's), and would love to help designing new quests and even skills if possible !
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Creating content doesn't require coding, at least not in the conventional sense. The graphics for the maps are built in Tiled (not produced by us, but we can use it for free). That is the easiest part of content creation. There are more things on maps than just the graphics though. These are all added using our content tool, ATCS. Map change events move the player from one map to the next, scripts do something when you walk on them, keys do something when you try to walk on them (i.e. they block you unless you satisfy certain conditions), etc. There is logic in these, of varying complexity, so they could be considered coding, in a sense, but you don't have to get into a text editor to do it. It's a GUI interface in ATCS. Creating monsters or other NPCs on the maps is also done in ATCS, and is pretty trivial. The most tricky part is the quests. These can have complex logic, and are the most difficult thing to create. Of course, some are much more complex than others (the dev team even dug itself into a logic hole in Stoutford, that we never want to repeat!). So the best quest to start with is something simple, but hopefully interesting to the player.

If anyone is genuinely interested in helping with this, we will help you. I have remotely logged in to PCs before to help set everything up. It costs me time to do that (and you have to trust me; I am not there to do any damage), but I consider it, long term, a good investment of my time.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
WarWolf01

Post by WarWolf01 »

I don't have a PC right now. I play on my smartphone, and also look at the community in it. But I will try to take a look at this tool.
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

These tools only work on a PC. But I have already saved your offer as tester in my mind 8-)
Nut
DawnPhoenix
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Post by DawnPhoenix »

Nut wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:02 am These tools only work on a PC. But I have already saved your offer as tester in my mind 8-)
I sent Rijackson a response requesting some help getting set up, so hopefully we can find some time to get me set up with resources. In the meantime, I'm finding as many open source sprites/tiles for maps, icons, items, npcs, and monsters as possible and placing them in a folder for later potential use. I am also downloading as many images as possible with tilesets and icons from the Andor's trail directory for certain future use, as I will likely be working mostly using those as the base.

And I am also open to testing, mainly to see if dialogues can be broken or if there are bugs, etc. Testing to see if everything is stable, mainly, is what I'm decent at. I'm not great at advanced mathematics, so I cannot promise breaking the game via the mechanics of combat or anything like that
~Edited to prevent spoilers to other players.
Last edited by Antison on Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed insider information
acridpot

Post by acridpot »

Honestly, we could have this... But not implemented as a unique skill really... 😅
We could add this a "Proficiency" with Oegyth crystal upgraded...
But fundamentally it wouldn't make sense...

Think about it... You wanna do massive Crits? We have Dual Weilding, Massive Damage? Two - handed weapons, don't care bout weapons and to bored to farm for em? We have the Monk build...

Whatever you're suggesting already exists. Albeit in different builds yes, but that's the point 🤷🏻‍♂️

The build you suggest is a bit versatile... If it WAS added...
You'd have to nerf it like crazy endgame... Thats where people would definitely need a secondary weapon/shield.

It would however be cool to reproduce your idea into a new MAGICIAN build. Cuz we do have mobs that cast "Spells" and such.
WarWolf01

Post by WarWolf01 »

acridpot wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:15 am Honestly, we could have this... But not implemented as a unique skill really... 😅
We could add this a "Proficiency" with Oegyth crystal upgraded...
But fundamentally it wouldn't make sense...

Think about it... You wanna do massive Crits? We have Dual Weilding, Massive Damage? Two - handed weapons, don't care bout weapons and to bored to farm for em? We have the Monk build...

Whatever you're suggesting already exists. Albeit in different builds yes, but that's the point 🤷🏻‍♂️

The build you suggest is a bit versatile... If it WAS added...
You'd have to nerf it like crazy endgame... Thats where people would definitely need a secondary weapon/shield.

It would however be cool to reproduce your idea into a new MAGICIAN build. Cuz we do have mobs that cast "Spells" and such.
First of all, what I had in mind, would be an fighting style for level 15, like the others, ghat would be able to improve by leveling up. In its base, it would be essentially just like the way of the monk: If PC is using only a rapier in one hand, nothing in the other and is wearing only light armor (could even be clothing too), PC gets bonus stats that increase Damage, BC, and Crit multipler and chance. Just like an Duelist, or Fencer if you would prefer. It would be okay in initial levels, very good at mid game, and would be nerfed at late game( as there is a lot of enemies that are immune to Crit) so it would not necessarily need to be nerfed. Also, rapiers are good, but are by far not the best weapons in the game. The idea would be go create a synergy between the high BC and the crit, like a parry and counter dynamic. It would be unique in its concept.

Secondly, I already said this, but I do believe we need an revamp in the actual combat system: it is very unbalanced as it is ( dual wielding is just too OP). It doesn't need to be a full on revamp, just something that would make that whatever path you take, it can become good without being too op. Sorry, but I love equilibrium and balance hahahaha it makes things more fair and equal.

And then again, the idea of it being an specialization is not bad too: maybe it could give status buffs, like parry, increasing you BC by a chance every turn, and an riposte, making a counter attack whenever enemies miss you. Ghe only thing is that the admins and mods are pretty adamant in the magic less PC. I call it bullshite ( no harsh feelings, not really trying to be rude), but I do understand where they are coming from. I just think that, in this game setting ( somewhere between an high fantasy meets grimdark and have a baby) it would not be impossible for PC to be an young magician. If they can wear heavy armor, use demonic awakened pendants, and god send swords that emanate holiness, why not be able go at the very least debuff your enemies? Sometimes I think they ( admins) are too much comfortable with the current development of the story, that they just don't try to innovate and give chance for something new, because reasons... Bug I digress... and again, I not trying go be offensive by any means, just giving my most honest (even if a little brutal) opinion.