World of AT

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.

What do we name the land that harnesses the world of AT?

Southfalcon Peninsula
6%
Geta Valley
No votes
Rhowen
19%
Dhayavar (hidden meaning)
63%
Other (If so, share in post)
6%
No-name land
6%

Total votes: 16

Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Re: World of AT

Post by Zukero »

Voom wrote: "Choice" in the dead language of Latin is "arbitrium." In biblical Hebrew, it's "bachar." Both sound interesting. I don't know how to search for other dead languages.
Arbitrium sounds too obvious in many latin-based languages (Italian, French, Spanish...), while Bachar is a little sensible for a name these days....

The world name doesn't necessarily have to be unique in the AT space-time. Different places at different eras might use different names (to address the Kazaul point).
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by ace »

Voom wrote:
ace wrote:I think we already have a thread for this topic.[url]htttp://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1973[/url]
It seems like the link isn't working. Maybe it was moved?

I found a thread called World Name, but it didn't have too many very good names..mostly just laughs with Pyrizzle. However, there were a few that caught my eye:
Umbra = Shadow
Lux = Light

Both are Latin words and maybe could be combined...

This thread's poll figured that a majority would like a name to the "world" and I hope this is still true. However, the "World of AT" is much smaller than the "world" described previously. I believe a name would add depth to the game, I hope you think so too.
yeah, I too want so. just waiting for fascinating name to show.

I think we can have a combination of choice, light and shadow in another language which sounds cool.
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
Nut

Post by Nut »

I would like to add two aspects:

- I remember the first time I played AT, starting as a kid in a little village. The way to fallhaven was long and dangerous.
Here and there I heard of distant places, and my view of the world widened slowly. I had an impression of an endless world...
So I'd suggest that the name of ATs World should not be mentioned in the game too near to Crossglen, and thus broadening the perspective not too quickly.

- And giving a name to a place implies that there is something outside, don't you think too?
If ATs world gets a name, then I would expect it to be something like a continent, surrounded by other continents. (Probably these will never be get into AT game, just maybe as background story.)
Nut
Zukero
Lead Developer

Post by Zukero »

The sense of a progressively widening scope is indeed important. I think it played a very important part in the storytelling of Little Big Adventure, one of my favorite games, and definitely the first one to make me feel engaged in the scenario.

As for an outside, I don't think that it's mandatory, but defining hard limits would also be a mistake IMHO, as the world and story could be expanded indefinitely.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Voom wrote:
ace wrote:I think we already have a thread for this topic.[url]htttp://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1973[/url]
Change htttp to http: .http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1973
Voom wrote: I feel like it has to be long like:
Kaizaran
Kalazaren
Kazakhstan (lol)
Kazaral... Kazaral Valley ..mm..
Longer does sound better. As Zukero notes, the world could change it's name over time too. Maybe the current name is more akin to Elythara, for example:

Elythaard
Elytharaine
Eleshana
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
ace
VIP

Post by ace »

rijackson741 wrote:
Voom wrote:
Change htttp to http: .http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1973
Voom wrote:
thanx rijackson741, you sure have eyes of sauron :D.
Nick
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Nick »

What if it's not a world? Is it a planet? Is it a universe? Is it a dimensions? What are we trying to name specifically?
I assume the name(s) would depend partially on what the people living there think of their environment.
When they look up do they see stars at night? Or is their sky something different? Since, we as the players have never seen it.
What do people think happens when they die? I assume this is connected with the shadow. Would this effect what they call the place they live?
Does the name need to be stagnate or does it change with time and who's living?
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

Zukero wrote: Arbitrium sounds too obvious in many latin-based languages (Italian, French, Spanish...), while Bachar is a little sensible for a name these days....

The world name doesn't necessarily have to be unique in the AT space-time. Different places at different eras might use different names (to address the Kazaul point).
Even in English "Arbitrium" is quite obvious. We will have to keep looking. Surely, everyone can help and do their on search through different translations and combinations, but I want to be assigned the duty to find a plausible and worthwhile name, at least to showcase a list for all of us to choose from.

Concerning the transitions of different eras througout time, there could be an old name for the Kazual were a more dominant force in the World of AT (WoAT) and a modern name after the Shadow's/Kazual's prolonged demise/seclusion allowing other dominant forces to have a shot at this land.
ace wrote: yeah, I too want so. just waiting for fascinating name to show.

I think we can have a combination of choice, light and shadow in another language which sounds cool.

I'll work to find good-sounding combinations from many different languages for Shadow and Light. Not only should it sound perfect for AT, it has great meaning to the story of this land.

Btw, the link gave the thread called World Name, the one I said I read through. So thanks for the reference, anyway.
Nut wrote:I would like to add two aspects:

- I remember the first time I played AT, starting as a kid in a little village. The way to fallhaven was long and dangerous.
Here and there I heard of distant places, and my view of the world widened slowly. I had an impression of an endless world...
So I'd suggest that the name of ATs World should not be mentioned in the game too near to Crossglen, and thus broadening the perspective not too quickly.

- And giving a name to a place implies that there is something outside, don't you think too?
If ATs world gets a name, then I would expect it to be something like a continent, surrounded by other continents. (Probably these will never be get into AT game, just maybe as background story.)
I would have to agree with you, Nut, because I would hate to have knowledge of an ever-expansive world *in my mind* whilst just learning to defeat the pesky rodents in our local supply cave. It would taint my forthcoming challenges as just a means to an end...meaningless to a story-line. The progression of the story has to be slow, absolutely. And only when you start getting a little more comfortable with dealing with entire settlements, hordes of people and different creatures, rivalries, the solicitations of kings & noble families, etc., should the knowledge of a vast and complex "world" that awaits to be explored be shared, understood, and dealt with. But at a certain point of this adventure the kid grows and is able to comprehend the magnitude of the dealings of his/her land and, therefore, the happenstance of surrounding lands.

What is outside the WoAT? You know, when I first defeated Roghorn (or Rogorn) and his bandits west of Loneford across the bridge they spoke of a place called Carn Tower far off west. This a small example but when I read what he said I was delighted to know that an awesome adventure awaited me. A distant land with more stories, along with the intertwined history, truths, and tales of all other surrounding lands, that will ultimately culminate into one overarching story-line will be an sensational thing to experience. Maybe I'm getting beyond myself, but the concept of this development strategy absolutely works, just like in shows, animes, and books. But with time... :shock:
Zukero wrote:The sense of a progressively widening scope is indeed important. I think it played a very important part in the storytelling of Little Big Adventure, one of my favorite games, and definitely the first one to make me feel engaged in the scenario.

As for an outside, I don't think that it's mandatory, but defining hard limits would also be a mistake IMHO, as the world and story could be expanded indefinitely.
True, that's what I attempted to say. ;)
rijackson741 wrote: Longer does sound better. As Zukero notes, the world could change it's name over time too. Maybe the current name is more akin to Elythara, for example:

Elythaard
Elytharaine
Eleshana
Totally agree.
Nick wrote:What if it's not a world? Is it a planet? Is it a universe? Is it a dimensions? What are we trying to name specifically?
I assume the name(s) would depend partially on what the people living there think of their environment.
When they look up do they see stars at night? Or is their sky something different? Since, we as the players have never seen it.
What do people think happens when they die? I assume this is connected with the shadow. Would this effect what they call the place they live?
Does the name need to be stagnate or does it change with time and who's living?
When I say "World of AT" I mean it as a figure of speech. The WoAT is in our hearts and minds, it is the adventure, the story, the achievements, and so on. What I want to be clear about is that we are searching for a name that could be assigned to the very land that our little guy walks on and around. A geographical name if you will. Often this name is given because this very land is considered a region known to have xyz living and happening in it. xyz for us is I called World of AT. Lord of the Rings has the region called Middle Earth resembling the many kingdoms, land masses/structures, and other features that are a part of it all. I don't think it goes beyond Middle Earth mainly because the story probably doesn't need to. Same could be true for AT, but maybe not. Let's listen to Zukero about this one.

The rest of your questions have to do with the AT background story, except for the last one, which I answered above.
Voom
ace
VIP

Post by ace »

what about "Vikalpam".??
Zukero
Lead Developer

Post by Zukero »

@ace, give us some background clues as to why this would be a good name.

Here's a new one: Dhayavar.

It comes from two words in Avestan, Dhayav (meaning country, place, realm) and Var (meaning choice).

Translations comes from this page http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/ ... -EI-R.html and I mashed two of them with no respect to whatever might be the true form of the language. I'm no linguist after all, just looking for inspiration with justification :D

Avestan is a long lost language with roots in Persia (Iran), and the main trace we have of it is in the holy books of Zoroastrianism, which is the religion whose prophet was Zarathustra, and is based on the opposition of twin deities representing Light and Shadow (or actually, any two opposing concepts, like Good and Evil). I thought this was close enough from our world to deserve giving it a shot.