Gender Option [image in progress]

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Re: Gender Option [image in progress]

Post by nyktos »

i was really hoping to get some critique from our female players,
because a lot of women are asking for a lady hero - so...

is this appropriate?

i dont really like the idea of her running around half-naked...
but at the same time ~ im trying to keep the heroes looking similar (like siblings)

any feminine thoughts?
i would love some feedback...

we talked about making this happen in the most recent meeting,
and i hope to make this possible... not just for our ladies - but for anyone who wants a change of scenery!

:D
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by fiernaq »

Nyktos, great job so far.

I'm no artist nor do I have a great deal of knowledge about the female physique but just some thoughts from looking at what you have so far:

1) The belt seems off. Dunno if it's because the buckle is so large (which would seem uncommon on females?) or if it's the width of the belt itself but that's something you could look into.

2) The cheekbones. Is it possible to narrow the face just a bit... especially right below the ears?

3) The arms. Could you lighten up the main portion (not the outline) of the arms just a bit? The dark smudginess makes it look as though she has rather hairy arms. Also, I don't know many women who hold their arms out like that. Guys do it because when they puff out their chest the arms naturally raise just a bit from their sides but females generally let their arms hang straight rather than in an arc from the shoulder.

4) The hairband. On a guy, a sweatband rests directly on the forehead just over the eyes but I would imagine that a woman would wear it a bit higher so as to keep the hair out of her face. Perhaps you could tilt the headband up just a bit, show a line or two of pixels for a forehead and make the hair look a little less tall?

5) The legs. You narrowed the base of the legs a bit but on this highly pixelated drawing that makes the top portion stand out a bit more. Not sure if this one will work or not but could you try narrowing the top 2-3 pixels on the legs as well so that it doesn't go from narrow leg to very large thigh all at once? That's going to be fun to do with pixels but the current version just doesn't look quite right and maybe you can do something better than I can imagine.

Overall, very nice work. Cheers :)
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

Can we please please please stay away from the hottie-in-a-chainmail-bikini idea? It's such a cliche.

By the reactions to the hero in some of the taverns, it's clear that the hero is young .. I picture him like 11 or 12. This is young enough that many secondary gender characteristics aren't obvious yet. So it could still be plausible that some npcs might mistake the girl hero for Andor at first glance.

Don't think Lara Croft. Think Arya Starke from A Game of Thrones.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

Tomcat wrote:Can we please please please stay away from the hottie-in-a-chainmail-bikini idea? It's such a cliche.

By the reactions to the hero in some of the taverns, it's clear that the hero is young .. I picture him like 11 or 12. This is young enough that many secondary gender characteristics aren't obvious yet. So it could still be plausible that some npcs might mistake the girl hero for Andor at first glance.

Don't think Lara Croft. Think Arya Starke from A Game of Thrones.

twelve is early enough for the feminine form to start showing,
and since we can't work in much detail...
i was going for an obvious distinction.

so,initially - my thoughts were this:
why bother having another gender, if it's only noticeable in dialogue?

but now, thinking about your post...
some gender confusion could be really fun for the way things pan out.

:twisted:

great post!
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Trotsky
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by Trotsky »

Hey guys, new to the forums here only been playing for a month tops and been looking at the forums a lot but decided to wait till i'd at least been to remguard and back before i posted so i could have an informed opinion on the state of the game, 1stly pretty good female skin dude, wasnt sure about her just in a bra but the male is shirtless so i guess it works, (hair is kinda what i used to have but still :p)

I've been wondering 1 thing as i've been playing though and this seems the best place to ask, has anyone floated an idea of alternate skins for the player, i know it would mean more design work but i really think it would bring a lot more depth to the game, mayby you could purchase them from certain ncp's or have them as quest rewards? Even if you only noticed the diference properly on the inventory view of your char i think it would make it easier to conext with them, as tbh at the moment with the fat shirtless little man i feel like im playing a drunken wife beater at times!

Just a thought like, wondered what people think?
PK17
android_version: 4.0

Post by PK17 »

If you were to change the skin of your player it couldn't be too drastic. If you were to make the player something other than caucaisian, Andor and his mother would need changed as well. If you just wanted to have him hold an axe, or wear a shirt, that seems entirely possible.
Take a stop by my game thread for some forum fun!!!

http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4577
Trotsky

Post by Trotsky »

Yeah thats what i had in mind, sort of like in tibia, just a small number of preset skins that you could buy to reflect how you played your character mayby (like one in leather armour, one in chainmail, with shield,without shield etc, just to make it easier for the player to identify with thier character a bit more, then you could even have 'special' skinds you could unlock as rewards for completing quests unlocking any future achievements function etc, plus would save the developers a lot of time over doing skuns to reflect exactly what your wearing in esentially real time, which i can imagine would be a pain in the arse and as some people wouldnt want to see their eq.
PK17
android_version: 4.0

Post by PK17 »

As long as I can give off some sort of magical aura.
Take a stop by my game thread for some forum fun!!!

http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4577
Trotsky

Post by Trotsky »

Im sure that could be achieved with a simple line of coloured pixells around the character, and is the sort of thing i think warrants a fair discusion on the forums, i for one want a sort of brown leathery apearance but ye.
Piggy the Slayer
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by Piggy the Slayer »

All sounds a lot of work which adds very little to the game. Although this is a hilarious thread. Our chubby pixie like hero is just perfect. The sister should also be chubby and pixie like.
Level:145 AC: 428% BC:170% DR:4 AD:78-90 AP:12 HP:750 BSS.