Heartsteal Should Get a Bonus vs Demons & Their Ilk

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Tulkas
android_version: 4.0

Re: Heartsteal Should Get a Bonus vs Demons & Their Ilk

Post by Tulkas »

"It is rumored in ancient Dwarven texts that a Dwarven Master Smith named Delrin Graybeard successfully combined Heartsteal and Silvanum into a marvelous set of armor and a great axe to go with it. Forged in the legendary Dwarven forge Angbror - it is said that Elythara herself granted Delrin the knowledge and ability to create such a wondrous set - when Delrin was finished he realized he'd created the greatest armor and weapon the world had ever seen. The blue-green color of Heartsteal combined with the radiance of Silvanum was said to be the envy of Kings. Delrin spent the rest of his days trying to replicate the process, but without Elythara's guiding hand, his efforts proved fruitless. He never forged again. Nobody knows why Elythara helped create that set, and to this day the story of the forging of V'dūn Elyrā & the great axe, Pax Dūm is just a hint of a rumor lost in the deeps of time."
Last edited by Tulkas on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lvl: 196, XP: 13,700,094, Gold: 1,447,699, RoLS: 1, ElyR: 0, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 12, VSH: 6, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
HP: 1081, AC: 400, AD: 106-122, AP: 4, ECC: 39%, CM: 5.75, BC: 213%, DR: 4
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

Tulkas wrote:
Tomcat wrote:
Tulkas wrote:According to a google search and this link: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_the_word_m ... ected_word

Mithril & other individual words cannot be copyrighted. So I think we could use Mithril in-game.
Interesting, and good to know ... thanks for looking that up, Tulkas!

However as a fan of both AT and Tolkien, I'd hate to see Tolkien references or other specific fantasy references in the game. Make it our world, not someone else's.
I agree about making Andor's Trail a unique world, but the idea behind Mithril had really transcended Tolkien's realm and become a mainstay in almost all fantasy type worlds. I'd love for Mithril to also be in the game and have that be especially effective vs the undead.

"Mithril, nearly as rare as Heartsteal, is especially effective at battling the undead. Not as hard to work with as Heartsteal, but still exceptionally effective when made into weapons and armor. Nobody is quite sure why Mithril is so effective at banishing the undead, most are too happy to see the fearsome enemies quail at the sight of a warrior brandishing such equipment. It's radiance is unrivaled amongst any other metals, as light as tin, and incredibly strong."
I've actually never seen mithril in a non Tolkien work, but then I try not to read un-original stuff, which unfortunately most fantasy is nowadays. Even more reason to stay away from it. I'd hate to see orcs in AT also. Or any invention specific to a fantasy author.

Besides, why do we need two special metals? We already have heartsteel.
Last edited by Pyrizzle on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please use family friendly language on the forums. thank you
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Piggy the Slayer
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by Piggy the Slayer »

+1 totally with you Tomcat.
Level:145 AC: 428% BC:170% DR:4 AD:78-90 AP:12 HP:750 BSS.
Tulkas

Post by Tulkas »

Tomcat wrote:I've actually never seen mithril in a non Tolkien work, but then I try not to read un-original stuff, which unfortunately most fantasy is nowadays. Even more reason to stay away from it. I'd hate to see orcs in AT also. Or any invention specific to a fantasy author.

Well my thought was to have Heartsteal be deadly vs demon types, and Mithril deadly to undead.

Lol at your comment about reading unoriginal stuff. Yea I don't read shiny other than Tolkien lately, and in the past I read the dragonlance books and some I'd the Shannara books. I'd rate Shannara last on the list, and have avoided all others.

I completely agree about orcs. I'd hate to see them in there too.

I've seen Mithril used in various other games. To me it belongs in a fantasy realm because it's different compared to plain boring silver - even mystical. I just really love the idea of both Mithril & Heartsteal.
Last edited by Pyrizzle on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please use family friendly language on the forums. Thank you!
Lvl: 196, XP: 13,700,094, Gold: 1,447,699, RoLS: 1, ElyR: 0, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 12, VSH: 6, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
Tomcat
VIP

Post by Tomcat »

Tulkas wrote:
Tomcat wrote:I've actually never seen mithril in a non Tolkien work, but then I try not to read un-original stuff, which unfortunately most fantasy is nowadays. Even more reason to stay away from it. I'd hate to see orcs in AT also. Or any invention specific to a fantasy author.

Well my thought was to have Heartsteal be deadly vs demon types, and Mithril deadly to undead.

Lol at your comment about reading unoriginal stuff. Yea I don't read shiny other than Tolkien lately, and in the past I read the dragonlance books and some I'd the Shannara books. I'd rate Shannara last on the list, and have avoided all others.

I've seen Mithril used in various other games. To me it belongs in a fantasy realm because it's different compared to plain boring silver - even mystical. I just really love the idea of both Mithril & Heartsteal.
Lol I guess I'm too much of a Tolkien purist. Huge fan since I was a kid. I wonder how many others on the forum recognize ”Tulkas” as a Tolkien reference....or my main character's name Halbarad..
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Fire7051
android_version: 3.0

Post by Fire7051 »

Tulkas wrote: I agree about making Andor's Trail a unique world, but the idea behind Mithril had really transcended Tolkien's realm and become a mainstay in almost all fantasy type worlds. I'd love for Mithril to also be in the game and have that be especially effective vs the undead.

"Mithril, nearly as rare as Heartsteal, is especially effective at battling the undead. Not as hard to work with as Heartsteal, but still exceptionally effective when made into weapons and armor. Nobody is quite sure why Mithril is so effective at banishing the undead, most are too happy to see the fearsome enemies quail at the sight of a warrior brandishing such equipment. It's radiance is unrivaled amongst any other metals, as light as tin, and incredibly strong."
Since undead can no longer be hit with crits maybe this could be the undead equalizer that allows crits on undead. Instead of mith maybe Silver instead? Use Mith for something else?
Last edited by Fire7051 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

Tomcat wrote:
Tulkas wrote:

Lol I guess I'm too much of a Tolkien purist. Huge fan since I was a kid. I wonder how many others on the forum recognize ”Tulkas” as a Tolkien reference....or my main character's name Halbarad..
"Sarumar whispers .... i have some clue about a Tolkien" :lol:
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Tomcat
VIP

Post by Tomcat »

Sarumar wrote: "Sarumar whispers .... i have some clue about a Tolkien" :lol:
+1
Norbert
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

The Game Runescape uses both Mithril and rune armor for high level smithing.

i do agree that using metals that are original to Andor's trail and not found in other places (games, stories, etc) would be best. We can easily think of new exotic types of metals instead of using ones that have been found in other places.
PK17 wrote:That is boss then. Would it be easy to add a condition such as photosynthesis (+1 hp regen a round when outside/in sunlight)? I can just imagine... Elythara'a Flower Headress... maybe kazual can have one that adds +5 damage or something in caves/dungeons.
PK17 excellent suggestion, i will create another thread for this idea. +1 all the way on this idea! Very creative!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tulkas

Post by Tulkas »

Pyrizzle wrote:

The Game Runescape uses both Mithril and rune armor for high level smithing.

i do agree that using metals that are original to Andor's trail and not found in other places (games, stories, etc) would be best. We can easily think of new exotic types of metals instead of using ones that have been found in other places.
PK17 wrote:That is boss then. Would it be easy to add a condition such as photosynthesis (+1 hp regen a round when outside/in sunlight)? I can just imagine... Elythara'a Flower Headress... maybe kazual can have one that adds +5 damage or something in caves/dungeons.
PK17 excellent suggestion, i will create another thread for this idea. +1 all the way on this idea! Very creative!
Pyrizzle what u think of my idea about Heartsteal & the writeup? I'm still not convinced we can't use Mithril. Until somebody comes up with something else, I think that's the best option. Basically I think we sound have two special metals that are effective vs demons (Heartsteal) and another (Mithril) effective vs undead. And if everyone is vent against Mithril, how about adamant?