World of AT

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.

What do we name the land that harnesses the world of AT?

Southfalcon Peninsula
6%
Geta Valley
No votes
Rhowen
19%
Dhayavar (hidden meaning)
63%
Other (If so, share in post)
6%
No-name land
6%

Total votes: 16

ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: World of AT

Post by ace »

Zukero wrote:@ace, give us some background clues as to why this would be a good name.
it's Sanskrita for choice. since many languages originated from it, I thought it could be a good option and also vikalpam sounds good.

Here's a new one: Dhayavar.

It comes from two words in Avestan, Dhayav (meaning country, place, realm) and Var (meaning choice).

Translations comes from this page http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/ ... -EI-R.html and I mashed two of them with no respect to whatever might be the true form of the language. I'm no linguist after all, just looking for inspiration with justification :D

Avestan is a long lost language with roots in Persia (Iran), and the main trace we have of it is in the holy books of Zoroastrianism, which is the religion whose prophet was Zarathustra, and is based on the opposition of twin deities representing Light and Shadow (or actually, any two opposing concepts, like Good and Evil). I thought this was close enough from our world to deserve giving it a shot.
hhhmm, now I wonder if Kazaul and Elythra were twins :mrgreen:.
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Voom »

ace wrote:what about "Vikalpam".??
Eww, what's that? :?:
Zukero wrote:@ace, give us some background clues as to why this would be a good name.

Here's a new one: Dhayavar.

It comes from two words in Avestan, Dhayav (meaning country, place, realm) and Var (meaning choice).

Translations comes from this page http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/ ... -EI-R.html and I mashed two of them with no respect to whatever might be the true form of the language. I'm no linguist after all, just looking for inspiration with justification :D

Avestan is a long lost language with roots in Persia (Iran), and the main trace we have of it is in the holy books of Zoroastrianism, which is the religion whose prophet was Zarathustra, and is based on the opposition of twin deities representing Light and Shadow (or actually, any two opposing concepts, like Good and Evil). I thought this was close enough from our world to deserve giving it a shot.
That's interesting, I've gotta check it out. The word deity refers to a polytheistic belief, so followers of Zarathustra believe in both gods or just the good one as opposed to the bad one too, but both exist?
Voom
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by ace »

Voom wrote:
well that's unexpected reaction. I don't know how you pronounced it. [ it goes like 'vik' as in vikings and a remains silent and m serves as half consonant].

but we are open to a lot of choices,aren't we?
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

ace wrote:
Voom wrote:
well that's unexpected reaction. I don't know how you pronounced it. [ it goes like 'vik' as in vikings and a remains silent and m serves as half consonant].

but we are open to a lot of choices,aren't we?
Of course. With your pronunciation it sounds ok, though. Sorry about the reaction, it was impetuous. I was thinking of how an NPC would say 'Land of Vikalpam' or 'Land of Elytharus'. I have to use that perspective.
Voom
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Voom wrote:
That's interesting, I've gotta check it out. The word deity refers to a polytheistic belief, so followers of Zarathustra believe in both gods or just the good one as opposed to the bad one too, but both exist?
If I understood correctly, only the good one is God, and will ultimately win the fight against his twin at the end of time. It seems to be a unique twist of monotheism. Check the wikipedia page, it seems really interesting.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

According to Avestan,
Light: Raocah
Evil: Aka
Darkness: Raji
To Choose: Var

Combinations
Varaoraj, Varcaraj, Varakarao

Maybe Varaujak for "choosing the shadow" prehistory.
Maybe Varaok for "choosing the light" shift to modern history.
Voom
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Zukero wrote:Here's a new one: Dhayavar.

I like this one. It's a made up word, so there's no baggage associated with it, but at the same time it has some meaning (well hidden, but it's there!). It has a spelling and form that also sort of fits with AT.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

rijackson741 wrote:

I like this one. It's a made up word, so there's no baggage associated with it, but at the same time it has some meaning (well hidden, but it's there!). It has a spelling and form that also sort of fits with AT.
I agree.
Voom
Nick
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Nick »

rijackson741 wrote:

I like it as well
Duke
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Duke »

Nick wrote:
rijackson741 wrote:

I like it as well
I don't really see a need for a name, but if I were to vote, I do like this name as well.
Lvl78 XP9403007 Gold 248643 AP3 HP139 AC350 AD42-59 BC97 DR1
SP:D MC3 BC CS2 QL4 IF MF EB DW2
Rols1Rol2Elyr1Char1Golf1Shaf0Srov1Vsh1
Ozzy
lvl:47 HP114 AC254 AD27-37 BC112
SP:WA HH CS(2) CL CE IF(2) Reg
Rols1Rol0ElyR0Char2Shaf1Golf1Srov1Vsh1