AT on Blackberry Playbook

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Blitz
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: AT on Blackberry Playbook

Post by Blitz »

infsega wrote:
tek wrote:
DarkSavant13 wrote:I think it should also be on the main page because most people aren't as likely to click his name as people like you or I are and it leads to confusion. As an example, I haven't clicked his name since the first time I went there so had no idea he had added the tribute to Oskar there, so those that never click the name may never know of it. You can still see the confusion in the posts here, about udates, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm tickled many shades of pink that those with Playbook can play AT. I love the fact that people love AT enough to port it for other people that don't have Android can play. I just wish the confusion of the players could be avoided, and one way to do that would be to change the description on the main page to say that Sergey is the only one responsible for updates to the Playbook version of the game and they should email him with any problems.
+1
I could not agree more :!:
akha, and where shall I add something like "please, don't ever try to ask anything on official AT forum because people are being stucked with questions regarding PB version"?
BTW I already did it!
App World isn't "main" page because NOBODY VISIT it AFTER they downloaded the game.
You already seen the about screen, and there are two "official" sites for the port: facebook page and vk page. But people (almost) didn't visit them because they use Google instead! And google refers to andorstrail.com! strage, isn't it?
So the single solution is to to SEOed my facebook page to be first on "Andor's Trail" googling %)
Sorry, but I cannot such possibilities.

Just removed AT from AppWorld to make Android users happy. AppWorld site and search will be updated in ~24 hours.

@paole
Use apk2bar converters and DDPB instead of AppWorld. There will be no major issues.

Best regards.
I play AT on android but I'm still very sad to hear this.

I have been keeping track of this thread and thought that everything was figured once oskar was credited in the description...

As I see it, having an andor trail port on the playbook is legal, and is a perfectly good thing. As long as the playbook version has been published under the GPL, then it is no problem at all. There is no need to ask for permission. Crediting the original authors is recommended obviously, and is the nice thing to do. I thought that once the credit was given in the description, this could happily be closed.

Now, coming to the issue of playbook users posting on these forums, the question is, do you want to kick out all the blackberry users, or guide them in the differences and welcome them into the fold? The only thing that needs to be done is to have a sticky somewhere detailing which blackberry version corresponds to which android version and to note any other differences. Synchronizing versions, with the next major release (0.7??) would be good. My opinion is that since it seems like a good chunk of the code is the same, any recommendations and bug reports made by playbook users will be just as valid for android users.

As long as the publisher of the playbook version keeps it as a simple port and does any patching and bug fixes to the main (android version) then you could simply consider the playbook version a direct port and simply merge them. All users of the playbook version could come here for tips and anything else. A sub forum for any playbook related issues might be good too...

My point is that, we should be trying to be inclusive of direct ports, rather than to shut them out. Sure, if someone takes the code and then modifies it into something else, then yes, make them change the name and all that. But this? Pulling the app altogether because the going ain't smooth? That's just sad for everyone...
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

Blitz wrote:I play AT on android but I'm still very sad to hear this.

I have been keeping track of this thread and thought that everything was figured once oskar was credited in the description...

As I see it, having an andor trail port on the playbook is legal, and is a perfectly good thing. As long as the playbook version has been published under the GPL, then it is no problem at all. There is no need to ask for permission. Crediting the original authors is recommended obviously, and is the nice thing to do. I thought that once the credit was given in the description, this could happily be closed.

Now, coming to the issue of playbook users posting on these forums, the question is, do you want to kick out all the blackberry users, or guide them in the differences and welcome them into the fold? The only thing that needs to be done is to have a sticky somewhere detailing which blackberry version corresponds to which android version and to note any other differences. Synchronizing versions, with the next major release (0.7??) would be good. My opinion is that since it seems like a good chunk of the code is the same, any recommendations and bug reports made by playbook users will be just as valid for android users.

As long as the publisher of the playbook version keeps it as a simple port and does any patching and bug fixes to the main (android version) then you could simply consider the playbook version a direct port and simply merge them. All users of the playbook version could come here for tips and anything else. A sub forum for any playbook related issues might be good too...

My point is that, we should be trying to be inclusive of direct ports, rather than to shut them out. Sure, if someone takes the code and then modifies it into something else, then yes, make them change the name and all that. But this? Pulling the app altogether because the going ain't smooth? That's just sad for everyone...
+1!!!

i feel that any problems that arise can be dealt with,
through open communication & understanding.

i will bring this up in the meeting today & hopefully get something moving in the right direction.
this is the beauty of open source - not the drawback!

heck, let's get AT on iPhones too!!!

:lol:
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
paole
android_version: 4.0

Post by paole »

nyktos wrote:
Blitz wrote:I play AT on android but I'm still very sad to hear this.

+1!!!

i feel that any problems that arise can be dealt with,

i will bring this up in the meeting today & hopefully get something moving in the right direction.

+1. I agree blitz and thank you.
lvl: 40
exp: 1188121
gold: 61270
ap: 3
ac: 246%
ad: 29-35
cc: 27%
cm: 3
ecc: 18%
bc: 51%
dr: 1

RoL: 1
ElyR: 1
RoLS: 2
GoLF: 1

proud to be pinoy.
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

infsega wrote: akha, and where shall I add something like "please, don't ever try to ask anything on official AT forum because people are being stucked with questions regarding PB version"?
BTW I already did it!
App World isn't "main" page because NOBODY VISIT it AFTER they downloaded the game.
You already seen the about screen, and there are two "official" sites for the port: facebook page and vk page. But people (almost) didn't visit them because they use Google instead! And google refers to andorstrail.com! strage, isn't it?
So the single solution is to to SEOed my facebook page to be first on "Andor's Trail" googling %)
Sorry, but I cannot such possibilities.

Just removed AT from AppWorld to make Android users happy. AppWorld site and search will be updated in ~24 hours.

@paole
Use apk2bar converters and DDPB instead of AppWorld. There will be no major issues.

Best regards.
I think you went a little overboard removing the app from the BB Appworld but if that is what you felt like you needed to do then so be it, it is your port afterall you can do what you wish with it.

I guess I'll just copy and paste my answer from above since I guess people missed it...
sdevaney wrote:Besides even if we see a large influx of Playbook users we can easily set them up their own specific section. The same goes for any operating system/specific hardware that Andor's Trail is ported to. If there are enough people behind it we have no issues with accommodating them.

While this community is and for the foreseeable future will be mainly focused on the Android development of Andor's Trail the more exposure to more people that we get benefits everyone.
So yea ports to other platforms are welcome, deal with it.... :D
infsega

Post by infsega »

Blitz wrote:I have been keeping track of this thread and thought that everything was figured once oskar was credited in the description...
No, it didn't. I'm still unreal immoral chieftan in according to the thread.

I just wanted to share the pleasure of the good game.
No money, no ads, etc., just for fun.
I just expected a bit of respect.

And all I recieved is a spitting in the face.

> hey, there is AT on PB! could you, please, explain about...
>> arghhhh, how they do it!!!
>> they stolen the work!!!!
> no, there is a full credit the original authors
>> arghhhhh, how they can do it!!!
> there is even a description (which nobody read) is changed

The last message shown that NOTHING REALLY CHANGES even you're trying expaing everything to everybody.
DarkSavant13 wrote:Since Sergey doesn't seem to think he should openly disclose that he has modified Oscar's source code so that it could be used in Playbook in the game's description, I can see how things could be confusing.
I did it. I did it! I DID IT. I DID IT! I DID IT!!!!
sdevaney wrote:So yea ports to other platforms are welcome, deal with it.... :D
And prepare to be called immoral chieftans without no excuse!!!
Welcome to the Open Source Hell.

JUST AN ADVISE: Don't even try to think about it until you have a really good reason to do it! Save your health!
What's a fun to fight against windmills?
paole wrote:Where do bbpb players download their andors trail? How will they know how to convert apk2bar? You should also think about other players who is enjoying and loves this game.

You will not resolve the issue by removing it. Think of the other players not just android device users, you should think all of the players. Android user, pc user or even bbpb users. Update is what players needed.
I don't care anymore.
It wasn't fun to read this thread and keep the patience.

There are two major ways to keep AT on PB:
1. Use automatic converter.
2. Use patched version for AppWorld.

1. Automatic Converter
1) download the latest .apk file from https://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/
2) install DDPB if you're a Windows or Mac user
3) turn on DevMode on device
4) install .apk using the DDPB (google it)
5) run AT
6) disable Full Screen
7) enable "force update" mode (don't really remember precise name, somewhere in Options)
Enjoy!

2. Maintain patched version in AppWorld
1) register as AW vendor (needs for passport or any other ID)
2) get signing keys
3) install Eclipse (Java mode pack)
4) install BlackBerry plugin
5) configure the plugin using the signing keys. Generate debug token if you want to check AT on device first
6) grab and open AT source
7) add BlackBerry build rules using the plugin
8) fix #1: disable full screen mode
9) fix #2: enable "force update"
10) fix #3: add some background (otherwise your app will be rejected as having the "scaling issue")
11) draw a 480x480 icon for the app
12) draw a 1920x1080 promotion picture
13) generate some screenshots or steal them from Google.Play
14) insert a new product, wait for review. dont' use "BB" or "Blackberry" in description, only "BlackBerry" or "BlackBerry PlayBook", otherwise app will be rejected
Don't afraid, it will not take a lot of your time!
You may skip 8-10 steps if you already grabbed the source from GitHub (now deleted).

Have a nice night!
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

infsega wrote:
Blitz wrote:I have been keeping track of this thread and thought that everything was figured once oskar was credited in the description...

The last message shown that NOTHING REALLY CHANGES even you're trying expaing everything to everybody.
DarkSavant13 wrote:Since Sergey doesn't seem to think he should openly disclose that he has modified Oscar's source code so that it could be used in Playbook in the game's description, I can see how things could be confusing.

JUST AN ADVISE: Don't even try to think about it until you have a really good reason to do it! Save your health!
paole wrote:Where do bbpb players download their andors trail? How will they know how to convert apk2bar? You should also think about other players who is enjoying and loves this game.

You will not resolve the issue by removing it. Think of the other players not just android device users, you should think all of the players. Android user, pc user or even bbpb users. Update is what players needed.
I don't care anymore.

Have a nice night!
Sigh, I wish it didn't have to be this way. As is obvious, you did put a lot of work into the Blackberry port. I'm sure there are a LOT of people out there who appreciate your work, but aren't necessarily posting on this thread.

There obviously has been a misunderstanding here. But, is it worth it to just nuke all your work just because not everyone understands? Isn't it better to just to talk it over, and if that doesn't work, just ignore it? If there's 10 people who disagree with you very vocally, there are a 1000 more who appreciate it but are quiet about it...but if you feel as though that's your only recourse, well, it is your port, and no one can stop you....
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

What we have here is a failure to communicate.
The posts from Administration & Moderation as as follows...

sdevaney wrote:This is acceptable use under the license of the game. We openly encourage anyone to port or modify the source as much as they want as long as they follow the rules of the GPL. Basically give credit, and publish their source code including any changes.

I think the confusion stems from all the previous people who violated the terms of the GPL/trademark and as such required us to submit DMCA claims.

If I can clear any further confusion please let me know.
sdevaney
sdevaney wrote:They are more than welcome to ask their questions here and we will do our best to answer them. If we cant't answer their questions we can at the very least point them in the direction of infsega for any technical issues with the Playbook version.
sdevaney wrote:While this community is and for the foreseeable future will be mainly focused on the Android development of Andor's Trail the more exposure to more people that we get benefits everyone.

tek wrote:Example, BB users posts a question about a force close issue that occurs when they do X. This may frustrate them that we cannot help. Not to memtion it may confuse a android user. This is assuming they even tell us that they are on a non-android device. Development team may "start chasing a red heron".

As far as this example goes, c'mon your a software dev, what would be the first two things you look at if a program you have distributed crashes? You find out what version are they using, and what hardware are they using it on. As I stated above we can direct people to infsega or the support email on the Blackberry Appworld page for technical issues or if there are enough people to warrant their own section on the forums.

I understand your concerns but you have to give us a little more credit. We are even kinda sorta organized now :mrgreen:

Hope my answers ease your mind a little.
sdevaney
sdevaney wrote:I explained our position on people posting about any version of AT here on the forums in a post above.

You can also PM him here on the forums. His username is infsega, he actually has commented in this thread.

He has done what you all asked if you look http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore ... 7/?lang=en A link back to the forums or project page from the appworld store page would be nice but he has been very accommodating.
nyktos wrote:we have more than enough of a presence here on the Forums to keep up with the current influx of bb pb members

if there's ever any serious confusion, it will be resolved swiftly.

;)

no worries!
nyktos wrote:i feel that any problems that arise can be dealt with,

It is unfortunate that things turned out like this.
It is imperative that we read every post before responding negatively.
[/b]
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
paole

Post by paole »

I appreciate what you because you gave us(bbpb user) this great game
infsega wrote:

I don't care anymore.

1. Automatic Converter
5) run AT
6) disable Full Screen
7) enable "force update" mode (don't really remember precise name, somewhere in Options)
Enjoy!

2) get signing keys
5) configure the plugin using the signing keys. Generate debug token if you want to check AT on device first
10) fix #3: add some background (otherwise your app will be rejected as having the "scaling issue")
14) insert a new product, wait for review. dont' use "BB" or "Blackberry" in description, only "BlackBerry" or "BlackBerry PlayBook", otherwise app will be rejected
You may skip 8-10 steps if you already grabbed the source from GitHub (now deleted).

Have a nice night!
I appreciate what you done because you provide us(bbpb user) this great game. We are just waiting for the next updated version. And my first post is why does bbpb has higher version than android devices
dr: 1

RoL: 1
ElyR: 1
RoLS: 2
GoLF: 1

proud to be pinoy.
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

infsega wrote:

I don't care anymore.

1. Automatic Converter
5) run AT
6) disable Full Screen
Enjoy!

2) get signing keys

Have a nice night!
Im sad and feel sorry. Please excepth my paladice... Earlier there are found sewerall "cheap" copyes of AT with ads and costs.... IMO that is the reason why reaktion was so negative... Please dont dive up, you are doing great work.

Again I am sorry, I misunderstand you (partially thanks for my poor skill of english).

Best regards,
Sarumar
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
paole

Post by paole »

First of all, my apologies for creating this commotion in this forum.
Im sorry big boss, developers and moderators and all the players.
I made this post to just to inform you guys that bbpb has 0.6.15v. And also asking why bbpb version is higher.
However this post brings trouble and im sorry for that.
Im saying sorry especially to Infsega for this trouble and for too much questions. And thank you because you let the bbpb users to play this wonderful game.
I would like you all guys to know that i applied for a moderator position, to bring equality, balance, peace and oder. However this post that i made brings trouble instead of information and question.

One again, im sorry.

Peace out.