Alpha test v0.6.10

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Johan
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop

Re: Alpha test v0.6.10

Post by Johan »

qasur wrote:When I loaded 6.10.a3 it was ok, but when i go to load a game, after "loading resources" it goes back to load character screen.
That is the exact behavior I experienced and it's caused by heap memory shortage.
donadar
android_version: 2.0

Post by donadar »

First time using the forum. So id like to say hi to everyone. Right to my point though, I wanted to help test the new version. I wanted to help because I'm new too and it just made sense to try. Sadly though when I go to play, or test rather the program, version force closes. WHY? Do I need to re-download, because I've tried that a couple times. Ill do it 100 more if it means I can help test and ultimatly play. :D. ..hope you can help because I JUST got addicted!
qasur

Post by qasur »

Johan wrote:
qasur wrote:When I loaded 6.10.a3 it was ok, but when i go to load a game, after "loading resources" it goes back to load character screen.
That is the exact behavior I experienced and it's caused by heap memory shortage.
I have 35MB of free space, and its a new error. Has to be related to a leak somewhere. Maybe its related to the patch that fixes inventory quantity, cause I know that happens on resorces loading screen.
Johan
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop

Post by Johan »

qasur wrote:
Johan wrote:
I have 35MB of free space, and its a new error. Has to be related to a leak somewhere. Maybe its related to the patch that fixes inventory quantity, cause I know that happens on resorces loading screen.
There's a system limit on how much memory an app can use, and it's there to prevent rouge apps from allocating all memory and force other apps to shut down.
On my old HTC Hero it's 16 MB and newer phones have a higher limit, currently up to 32 or 64 MB i believe. As i wrote in another post, you might be able to change it if your phone is fully rooted, which means that the system partitions has to be writable (NAND write) and that system security is off (S-OFF).
There isn't really any easy way to check if it works on your phone but to root it and install VM Heap Tool.
This issue needs to be fixed eventually as more will be affected as the game grows larger and more memory hungry.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by oskarwiksten »

Johan wrote:There's a system limit on how much memory an app can use, and it's there to prevent rouge apps from allocating all memory and force other apps to shut down.
On my old HTC Hero it's 16 MB and newer phones have a higher limit, currently up to 32 or 64 MB i believe.
This issue needs to be fixed eventually as more will be affected as the game grows larger and more memory hungry.
Thanks for investigating, Johan.

I have logged this as an issue on the issue tracker. This issue is also possible to reproduce in the emulator by lowering the amount of available heap memory, which means that troubleshooting and verifying potential fixes will be possible without an actual device, which is good. I have a bunch of ideas that I would like to try out in order to lower the amount of used memory by the game, but they all require extensive refactoring of how the game handles graphical resources. I'll see what we can do to fix it before v0.6.10 release.

Thank you for finding it, and for taking the time to post your results of your investigation!
/Oskar
donadar
android_version: 2.0

Post by donadar »

:( So I don't have enough memory on my device for now? Or am I just stupid
Joker
android_version: 4.0

Post by Joker »

oskarwiksten wrote: Translation updates:
  • Updated French translation by Misty Soul.
  • Updated Italian translation (thanks k6blue and Joker)
  • Hebrew translation. (Thanks eitanbm)
  • Corrected English spelling in conversations (thanks to Cecil)
You are welcome Oskar!
With this update, Italian translation should be complete (0.6.9 included).
Do you think it's possible to translate the new 1000 lines of speech of version 0.6.10 before its release on the Android Market?
If so, please contact me by PM, I would be glad to help again!
Lvl: 51, XP: 2479311, Gold: 1000168, RoLS: 1, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0
HP: 65, AC: 265%, AD: 21-28, AP: 3, ECC: 27%, CM: 5.25, BC: 55%, DR: 2
ctnbeh13
VIP
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by ctnbeh13 »

v0.6.10.a3 Bug Report - List 1:

After downloading and installing AndorsTrail_v0.6.10a3.apk, the following issues were discovered during game play on a Motorola Droid 3:

1) In version 0.6.9, during game play, pressing the physical menu sensor on my device would bring up the game's menu bar at the bottom of my screen that offers the choices of "Exit to menu", "Save", and "Preferences". In the current version, the physical menu sensor works until I engage an enemy, but then has no effect until I first touch the Hero icon in the lower left corner of my screen, and then the physical back sensor. Now the physical menu sensor works properly again.

2) When conversing with a NPC that offers the option of selecting your response (regardless as to whether there is one or more choices) by selecting its radio button (I think that's the proper name for it), you can only do so by touching it on the screen as no key on the physical keyboard will select it. In the example of having 3 responses to choose from, it is not possible to even choose (by highlighting) your choice as all 3 are highlighted as a group when you navigate to the dialog box using the physical keyboard. Here again, your only option is to physically touch the screen to make your selection.

3) If more than 3 items are available as dropped loot from one or more defeated enemies, although you can scroll down/through the list with each individual item being properly highlighted when using the physical keyboard, you cannot scroll out of the window to highlight the "Pick up all" button directly below it to select that choice until you first individually remove loot items until there are no more than 3 remaining.

4) The thief locked up in Fallhaven Prison still remains a prisoner even after completing the "Night visit" quest.

5) When leaving Jakrar, Fallhaven's woodcutter, by travelling south 1 screen and east 2 screens, the small grove containing Forest beetles and 2 rotting logs, is nearly half the width of the full screen. If I remember correctly, this screen was added to fill in and connect preexisting map screens for the benefit of the layout of the world map, was previously reported and fixed by enlarging this screen segment.

It is my opinion that further refinement and possibly completion of the player action, behavior, and choice/item selection association to key assignment on a device's physical keyboard be developed further to offer full feature responsiveness. It is also my opinion that this should take priority over any potential fixes necessary for any discovered pending issues, should they exist, regarding the virtual D-pad (which is something of which I've yet to test for the above given reasons).

The remainder of my current notes mostly reflect pending spelling and grammar corrections, which I will post later after typing them up. I have to admit it's been a challenge to stay focused on being open to spot a great deal of anything requiring correction due to my lack of mental acuity from sleep deprivation, the minimal amount of corrections seemingly necessary, and the "wow" factor distraction provided by the enhancements and new content. An excellent release thus far! :)
One of even fewer...
mirajp1
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by mirajp1 »

I have got and idea for inventory.
its looks so cluttered up with gems,stones,wings etc.
why dont u make a separate box for them in which all these things are kept.
sorry if this has been suggested.
Logic:
Lvl: 38, XP: 1006224, Gold: 69410, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, GoLF: 1, ChaR: 0, SHAF: 0
HP: 83, AC: 219%, AD: 24-30, AP: 3, BC: 55%, DR: -1, CC: 22%, CM: 3
Restore HP/Kill: 2

currently affected by rotworm :D
nezkeys79
android_version: 2.2

Post by nezkeys79 »

yes there should definitely be some sort of storage system. Having an exp and gold loss system never works unless you have a storage system facility