v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Returning Home

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
ScorpionZ

Returning Home

Post by ScorpionZ »

I propose the idea of paying to get back home.

I have read several topics regarding the frustration of a weak player making it into an area where Andor gets stuck.

This used to not be an issue since when you died you always went home. Many players requested for and received the "return to the place you last rested" death option.

I don't think that a free ride home should be available for the adventurous weaklings who venture up the mountain and cannot make it down however, there should be an option to allow them to respawn at home.

The first option I propose is that when you rest at a location, you are presented with the option:

If you respawn, where would you like to arrive?
1. Here (wherever it is that you are resting)
2. Back home
[You choose one]

You are now rested, should a problem arise you will respawn....

When choosing this, you will pay in the form of experience points. So say you make it up the mountain, find a place to rest, choose the resting place and then cannot move on, you can rest choosing to go home the next time.

[I do think that if you choose to go home, the xp penalty should include dropping a level.]

Another option is that when you die, you are presented with an option:

You have fallen into a comma from war and find yourself trapped between the spirit world and the physical world. A voice is calling you back to the physical world. Do you want to.....

1. Return to your last resting place? (at the cost of 1/3 current level xp)
2. Return home? (at the cost of....something painful.....)

The "something painful" could be the loss of all or a large portion of money, the loss of a level (including a skill point), or equipment.

Obviously this is not beneficial for a stronger player, so as a supplement I also suggest adding an on/off switch in the preference menu for this feature. Maybe call it the "Respawn Option". This would either turn on the screen so that when you die you have a choice or it will turn off the screen so that you go to your last resting place.

Now I am open for question. What do you think? What don't you understand that I might be able to explain better? Should I just give up now since this is dumb?

Another alternative to this is to place experience barriers. This would be similar to quests barriers. Just like you cannot enter the thieve's guild until you get permission, you can set up a barrier to not pass certain points until you reach a certain experience level. I would set up these barriers at the same points that were used in map updates. A general forum census and testing could help us determine how far you can go with each level. I personally would set it up so that the maps open up when you are a level or two below the minimum "prime" level. This way even though you can go there, you might not just because you will die faster than you want to.

.....any thoughts?.....

P.S. Sorry for the long post. It only takes about 30 seconds to explain this but like 10 pages to type it out. :D
Level: 49
XP: 2108290
Attack Cost: 3
Attack Chance: 166%
Attack Damage: 22-23
Critical Hit Chance: 25%
Critical Multiplier: 3
Block Chance: 92%
RoLS: 1
SR: 2945
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Re: Returning Home

Post by Sarumar »

IMO respan option on the menu is the best solution. Low levels you can choose easier way and later in storyline or when in midle of grinding you maby choose otherwice. I dont like the idea of extra cost, just keep it simple.
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
nezkeys79
android_version: 2.2

Post by nezkeys79 »

sorry but I disagree with all the points you suggested. Why dish out more penalties? It's already harsh to lose a third of exp. I bet everyone just reloads when they die. If the exp penalty was reasonable I would just carry on
nezkeys79

Post by nezkeys79 »

You should be able to warp to/spawn at any previously visited bed, for free preferably. But I don't mind a cost if its reasonable and balanced bit your suggestion to lose all gold is ridiculous
ScorpionZ

Post by ScorpionZ »

nezkeys79 wrote:You should be able to warp to/spawn at any previously visited bed, for free preferably. But I don't mind a cost if its reasonable and balanced bit your suggestion to lose all gold is ridiculous
Thanks for your comment.

I do think that a penalty for dying is very appropriate. It motivates the player to grow or equip their character in such a way so they do not lose when going into battle. If you save often and ensure that you are strong enough to handle the environment you are walking in, then it is not an issue.

My offering was not to challenge the current system, but to add an alternative for anyone who ventures beyond their strenght level.
nezkeys79

Post by nezkeys79 »

No matter how prepared you are you can accidentally run into 2 enemies at once, which can sometimes kill you. Also sometimes you can miss all your attacks and get criticalled back, which usually ends up in death. I bet almost everyone reloads when they die. It's just retarded to continue on when the penalty is that great. Oskar and the devs have introduced a skill to lower the penalty which i guess is better than nothing, but I still think everyone will just continue to reload when they die
ScorpionZ

Post by ScorpionZ »

While that may be true, you can run into situations where you are stuck halfway up the mountain and cannot get anywhere without starting the game over. This option provides a solution to findig yourself respawning in a location that you cannot work yourself out of.
GaloH

Post by GaloH »

I disagree too. But maybe some type of teleport to entrance of cave and teleport to home.
i think is a good idea.
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

maybe an NPC you could pay to 'travel'
(e.g. horse from a stable master or mage with a spell?)
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Great idea Scorpian. Maybe there could be a sherpa to help you get down the mountian who lives in the cabin.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------