v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Edit saved game files ??

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: Edit saved game files ??

Post by Pyrizzle »

[Moved a few posts to another topic, the current topic here is Editing Saved Game files]
Nevermind...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
El Nora
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by El Nora »

I know this is a bit belated, I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time. I never really felt the need to post until I saw this. Give yourself a pat on the back, you just caused me to register an account.

This topic happens to be a pet peeve of mine and tends to crop up wherever open source games abound.

In case you hadn't noticed, Andor's Trail happens to be a GAME. I don't know about all the rest of you, but when I play games I do so in order to have fun. Now, here I know our opinions differ on what fun is, I have fun when going hiking, hunting or camping; most people I know do not. I experience the greatest rapture known to mankind when skydiving, most people I know only experience panic, vertigo, and a brief adrenaline rush that leaves them pale, sweating and shaking. Some things I do not find enjoyable include pop music and football (soccer for all you Yanks) even though I'm sure they're the most popular forms of recreational entertainment in the world today. And it is NOBODY's business to tell me otherwise.

Who are you, or anyone else to determine what is right and what is wrong within the context of a game aside from its creator? Is there some law against hex editing? Was there some prohibition in the nonexistent end-user license agreement which I'm pretty darn sure I didn't sign? "Cheating" only exists within the context of said rules; as such, as there are no "rules" against it, it is a fully legitimate aspect of the game usable and abusable all for the purpose of having fun. Which is, quite coincidentally, why you and I downloaded this game in the first place.

If someone finds hex editing their savegame (most especially in an open source game) enjoyable, then good for them and I wish them all the happy hours of slaughtering their way to multiple legendaries as they could possibly wish. It's not like someone else's level 999 is hampering anyone else's gaming experience in any way and, indeed, is presumably facilitating their own. Personally I don't think it's for me, but who knows, maybe if I tried it I may enjoy it.
lady black
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Post by lady black »

The only real problem would be if someone used an edited file to climb the highscore board, where everybody else got there the old-fashioned way: they earned it. Otherwise, if they want to change things in their game they are cheating no-one but themselves (of the fun of playing the game the normal way.)

Welcome to participating in the forum rather than just reading it.
LVL 108; XP 23,138,749; Gold 1,827,209; 4/23/12
HP 130; AP 4/12; AC 328; AD 55-66; CC 9; CM 0; BC 127; DR 2
RoLS 4; RoL 2; ElyR 4; ChaR 11; GoLF 4; ShaF 4
S Rgn, SP: 1:CE,Ev,SM,EB,PB; 2:WA,HH,Cl,BS,MC,BC,CS,QL,IF,Rgn,MF
Pyrizzle
VIP

Post by Pyrizzle »

El Nora wrote:I know this is a bit belated, I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time. I never really felt the need to post until I saw this. Give yourself a pat on the back, you just caused me to register an account.

This topic happens to be a pet peeve of mine and tends to crop up wherever open source games abound.

In case you hadn't noticed, Andor's Trail happens to be a GAME. I don't know about all the rest of you, but when I play games I do so in order to have fun. Now, here I know our opinions differ on what fun is, I have fun when going hiking, hunting or camping; most people I know do not. I experience the greatest rapture known to mankind when skydiving, most people I know only experience panic, vertigo, and a brief adrenaline rush that leaves them pale, sweating and shaking. Some things I do not find enjoyable include pop music and football (soccer for all you Yanks) even though I'm sure they're the most popular forms of recreational entertainment in the world today. And it is NOBODY's business to tell me otherwise.

Who are you, or anyone else to determine what is right and what is wrong within the context of a game aside from its creator? Is there some law against hex editing? Was there some prohibition in the nonexistent end-user license agreement which I'm pretty darn sure I didn't sign? "Cheating" only exists within the context of said rules; as such, as there are no "rules" against it, it is a fully legitimate aspect of the game usable and abusable all for the purpose of having fun. Which is, quite coincidentally, why you and I downloaded this game in the first place.

If someone finds hex editing their savegame (most especially in an open source game) enjoyable, then good for them and I wish them all the happy hours of slaughtering their way to multiple legendaries as they could possibly wish. It's not like someone else's level 999 is hampering anyone else's gaming experience in any way and, indeed, is presumably facilitating their own. Personally I don't think it's for me, but who knows, maybe if I tried it I may enjoy it.
First i would like to say Welcome to the forums, and i am glad to see you have decided to give us your opinion on this topic (all opinions are welcome and incouraged here)

I have to say that i agree with you, this game is a open source game and the people are more than welcome to mess with the game as much as they like, buuuuut as Ladyblack said, it is frusterating when players change the coding when I have been trying the old fashion way for months (expecially in the cases of the Legendary Items, which require more luck then skill to aquire)

PS: Skydiving is on my bucket list ((things to do before i kick the bucket))

Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Pyrizzle wrote: PS: Skydiving is on my bucket list ((things to do before i kick the bucket))
You go skydiving then you will "kick the bucket".
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Pyrizzle
VIP

Post by Pyrizzle »

tek wrote:
Pyrizzle wrote: PS: Skydiving is on my bucket list ((things to do before i kick the bucket))
You go skydiving then you will "kick the bucket".
Lets try to stay on topic here. :mrgreen:

phydeaux
VIP
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop
Location: Gargoyle cavern, blindly hacking mobs to pieces till I find a rols!

Post by phydeaux »

I have ONE savegame which is hexed all to heck, because of certain testing procedures I use. Not testing for use, but testing breaking points, I suppose you could call them. I brought one up in another thread, that I had tested cleave 4... And got yelled at for it, if I remember right. Hexing a savegame is more or less the same as using debugging mode, which by the way is BUILT IN to this and almost any other game I've ever played. The only real difference between the two is, I can hex a file on the fly, but have to re-compile and re-load the game in order to use debuggin mode. Wish I had more constant interweb access, I might actually be able to do some coding for Oskar... But hey, when I do finally get the chance, or a better job, I should be able to do quite a bit in a rather short timeframe. But for now, I just have a bunch of mental exercises and a good working knowledge of how the savegames are formatted?

Many people use hex editors to cheat, but some of us use them for their original purpose, as a diagnostic tool!

Btw, no one on here ever sees any hexed stats from me, outside of a pm... Or any stats at all, at least at the moment. I've already said I don't really care about the highscores list... At least not while the game is in beta! :D
der_Hosenwyrm
android_version: 2.0

Post by der_Hosenwyrm »

I've nothing against people doing whatever they like with their own savegame files on the privacy of their own phone ;)

I just wouldn't find playing the game much fun if I were forever tempted to edit my character to the point of invincibility.

But each to her/his own.
Prometheus
Lvl:97, XP:16504704, Gold:725579,
RoLS:1, ElyR:0, RoL:0, ChaR:2, GoLF:1, ShaF:0,
HP:211, AC:255%, AD:49-55, AP:2/12, CC:-4%, CM:-, BC:165%, DR:0
MasterChen
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Re: Editing save files?

Post by MasterChen »

Do You have to know alot of codeing to edit?
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: Editing save files?

Post by Antison »

It helps to have a hex editor and clue what to edit.
if you are asking, then I recommend not touching the file, as one mistake may corrupt the file and prevent it from being read by the the game.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"