Map

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
theGleep
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Re: Map

Post by theGleep »

Using my "recipe" above, it's kind of easy to get the "screenshots". Is there anything I can do to the images that will make them easier to automate?
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

theGleep wrote:No sooner did I decide to keep my maps up-to-date than work got too busy for me. ARGH!

Here is my "recipe" for map-making:

Ingredients:
* Tiled map editor
* GIMP (http://gimp.org - Freeware photoshop alternative)
* Maps from AT Source and Project Page source:
+ http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/s ... Fres%2Fxml
+ http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/s ... age%2Fmaps
(I usually grab the whole source distribution instead of getting the maps one-at-a-time)

Directions:
Create a working directory (I call it "maps" and put it under the "res" folder - as a sibling to "xml")
Copy ALL of the map files to the working directory (WD)
Open Tiled
Open Windows Explorer and browse to the "maps" folder
In Windows Explorer, Select a "bunch" of map files (ten or so at a time...I tend to work on an "Area" at a time...so Catacombs1-4 would be a single "bunch")
Drag the selected files from Explorer and drop them on "tiled"...wait for tiled to finish opening them. The more you "drop", the longer it will take.
In Tiled, select the "Layers" tab
now, for each file you have open:
* check/uncheck layers so that only "Above", "Objects" and "Ground" are checked
* Select File->Save As Image
* In the "Save As Image" dialog box, uncheck "use current zoom level"", check "only include visible layers" and "draw tile grid"
* Click "OK"
* Close the file (I click on the "X" button on the tab for that)

When all of the files have been converted (all the tabs are closed), go back to Windows Explorer and delete the selected files (this way you know they're done - that's why I copy them to the Working Directory)

When you've converted all of the maps to pictures (or get bored of converting), use GIMP (or whatever image manipulation package you prefer) to merge all of the images together. Because this is a more complex task, I'll just give guidelines rather than step-by-step.

I work on one "Area" at a time to create a "sub-map". For example, all of "blackwater_mountain" becomes a single map.

Because we checked "Draw Tile Grid" in the "Save As Image" dialog box, the pictures have a bunch of squares on them...this makes it easy to line them up.

There is an official standard for how the images line up to create the worldmap, but it's more of a guideline. As a general rule, the sub-maps connect with a one-tile overlap. Usually, though, I look for visual cues to see how the "new" submap lines up with the existing area map. Rapidly toggling the visibility on the submap being added helps see how it fits in to the area map.

With many of the maps, where there are "levels" (underground maps - cave entrances in particular), an overlay will "block off" some of the content for one or the other map. The worst-case answer for these maps is to place them somewhere else with a "connection indicator" to show how they relate. I think I use a dotted pink line for that...

Sometimes, however, there is a lot of "dead space" that can be removed so that the maps will overlay each other. For these situations, I line up the maps, pick the one that will be "above" (which one obscures the other least) and "cut away" all of the excess tiles.

Even with this, there are often "corners" that remain obscured - for those situations, I highlight the blocks in the "top" map increase their transparency until you can see both maps, and easily focus on one over the other.

When I'm all done, I export to .GIF - GIF is a "lossless" format (so you can edit and edit and edit and only your changes appear).

... and eventually post a link to them here.

I hope this helps us keep up the World Map!

(Hmmmm...I wonder if it would be useful to have a thread for "world-map builders" and people can say "I'll take these files" and maybe a couple of people could manage merging the area maps into the world map?)
+1 great explination!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thystonius
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by Thystonius »

tek wrote:You don't need a map for the dark rooms. Just drop rocks or any other abundant items to "highlight" the path. Itsjust a matter of finding the correct path and dropping the loot at the same time. But once you have it, you will always be able to follow the loot bags.
Although that is a simple solution, I agree that adding candles, lanterns and maybe a special gem like a glowing red ruby to give various radius of light and can be held in the weapon or shield slot. Would make a lot of sense to the game. I can personally find my way quite easily in dark rooms, the maze towards BWM took a bit but is now dtored in my mind.
Lvl 74|XP 7,280,442|€ 364,324|2013.08.27
HP 229|AC 238%|AD 46-55|AP 3|ECC 25%|CM 3.0|BC 140%|DR 10|SR
RoLS 2|ElyR 1|RoL 0|ChaR 0|GoLF 1|ShaF 1|SRoV 0|VSH 0|WMC 0|GoW 0
WA 1|HH 1|Clv 1|BS 5|CS 2|CE 1|IF 5|Reg 1|DPS 1|DP 1|SP 2|LAP 1
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Thystonius wrote:
tek wrote:You don't need a map for the dark rooms. Just drop rocks or any other abundant items to "highlight" the path. Itsjust a matter of finding the correct path and dropping the loot at the same time. But once you have it, you will always be able to follow the loot bags.
Although that is a simple solution, I agree that adding candles, lanterns and maybe a special gem like a glowing red ruby to give various radius of light and can be held in the weapon or shield slot. Would make a lot of sense to the game. I can personally find my way quite easily in dark rooms, the maze towards BWM took a bit but is now dtored in my mind.
I agree that adding some portible light source would be great in the game. Maybe a torch, candle, lantern, glowing crystal. etc would be a great addition and I like the idea that using one would fill one of your hands making Duel weilding or weilding a sword and shield impossible unless you want to want to wonder in the dark.

You wonder down the long damp corridor of the underground labyrinth, torch in one hand and your trusty blade in the other.... as you make your way to the door at the end you whisper to yourself ..."I sure hope i don't run into anymore...*gulp* spiders..."

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

I discussed in an old thread the idea of computing line-of-sight, which could be used for both lighting and, eventually, range attacks. I think it was in the Ideas forum.

Edit ---

Actually in Developers forum:
http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... e+of+sight
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

Pyrizzle wrote:
Thystonius wrote:
I agree that adding some portible light source would be great in the game. Maybe a torch, candle, lantern, glowing crystal. etc would be a great addition and I like the idea that using one would fill one of your hands making Duel weilding or weilding a sword and shield impossible unless you want to want to wonder in the dark.

You wonder down the long damp corridor of the underground labyrinth, torch in one hand and your trusty blade in the other.... as you make your way to the door at the end you whisper to yourself ..."I sure hope i don't run into anymore...*gulp* spiders..."

+1 excellent idea !

LOL... a difficult choice... do you really want to see the thing which will eat your soul and gain some insanity before your soul is eaten... Or do you chooce wandering around without seeing it hoping that your cracket ward will give enough protection...

Just played The Laundry :shock: ...
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15142.phtml
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Argon of Peristalsis
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by Argon of Peristalsis »

I, for one, would not want to be eaten by a grue.
Actually, I don't fight any more. I let the gods handle it. They love fighting. I get them to fight each other and leave us in peace. It's bad enough when humans start trouble.