v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

POLL: Which gloves do you prefer?

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.

Which gloves do you prefer? Please select 1 of the first 3 and 1 on the last 2.

Gloves of Life Force (GoLF)
2%
Troublemaker's gloves (TG)
53%
Guard's Gloves (GG)
3%
GoLF Not "extraordinary" enough when compared to GG & TG
33%
GoLF is "extraordinary" enough
9%

Total votes: 99

lady black
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Re: POLL: Which gloves do you prefer?

Post by lady black »

Yes, I like this idea, too. For a change, I was extraordinarily lucky, and got the gloves while I had only 2 sharpened gems; but I still use the troublemaker's gloves instead. I also think that the L & E items should be the best available, but not by so much that players without them are really handicapped by that lack. So perhaps, as suggested, some attribute that the "best" ordinary (shop-bought, ordinary drops, or even boss-drops) items of the same kind do not have. Otherwise, the only thing "extraordinary" or "legendary" about them is the name and the difficulty of getting them, most of the time. The legendary items should be twice as much better than their ordinary counterparts than the merely extraordinary items are.
LVL 108; XP 23,138,749; Gold 1,827,209; 4/23/12
HP 130; AP 4/12; AC 328; AD 55-66; CC 9; CM 0; BC 127; DR 2
RoLS 4; RoL 2; ElyR 4; ChaR 11; GoLF 4; ShaF 4
S Rgn, SP: 1:CE,Ev,SM,EB,PB; 2:WA,HH,Cl,BS,MC,BC,CS,QL,IF,Rgn,MF
Numba1Gunner

Post by Numba1Gunner »

Edit: Sorry this kinda turned into an essay, I hope it isn't to rambling, but be forewarned this is a lengthy post.

Here are my thoughts on two points that I have seen made by one or more people previously.

1. "What makes an item Legendary/Extraordinary is the granting of attributes/skills not available in any other items" (+1)

I agree in most every other RPG I have played the legendary/extraordinary/grind worthy items typically have some sort of magical element or extra attribute that isn't available in purchasable items . Often the boost is as unique as the item, i.e. two legendary/unique/extraordinary items won't usually give the same boost unless they are from a family of items that are all related.

2. "Legendary/Extraordinary items should be better than their purchasable counterparts" (+.5)

I agree in a sense, that you shouldn't be able to purchase items that are 100% better than L/E items in every way possible. BUT from my experience in other games L/E items you get at the beginning of the game don't always out-class items you can buy late in the game. If I pick up my legendary T-shirt at level 5 I don't think it should be able to hands-down provide better defense than my reinforced plate-mail that I can purchase at the armory at level 45.

By following these suggestions you can make sure to keep a balance between the L/E items and the buyable marketplace. L/E items can be very useful in certain situations.

i.e. is their a poisonous boss? If you were lucky enough or persistant enough to find the 75% poison resist armor you can beat him a few levels earlier than someone who has to build up a larger level advantage with the boss in order to survive the heavy poison damage through other means (shorten the battle with higher AD, increase your resistance to dps with higher life, increase BC% to avoid poison effect). At the same time though that legendary poison resist armor really wouldn't be helpful against the normal mobs around that boss and beyond since it doesn't have the same level of "normal" defensive stats to put up with the long grind of the game.

In this case players have to make a choice, do they grind hard to get those L/E items to help in certain situations? or do they proceed along the typical path knowing that they might need to occasionally min-grind for levels high enough to enter/complete certain dungeons/regions.

One thing that kinda bums me out is that new skills have started to make the L/E items obsolete. what initially made the RoLS really cool sounding to me was the regen per round..... but now I can get that same effect by level 8.... hmmmmm Grind through 10,000 Gargoyle trainers or use 1 of my skill points? I think it would be beneficial to maintain the "uniqueness" of the L/E items by having them give some sort of otherwise un-attainable trait. A trait that gives them a leg up for a few (5-10 levels) but once items have +6 more AD and +20 more AC% makes that unique trait a little less significant.

When it comes down to it ALL RPG's are really about grinding. Grinding for Gold, Grinding for Levels, Grinding for Items. In short, grinding to make your character super-fly in his/her new gear, grinding to get some sort of L/E item isn't going to ruin the gaming experience as long as everything is balanced. (BTW I'm pretty sure that 7 letter word "Balance" is really the #1 hardest part of succesful game making, more so even than the creativity to come up with a story).

This brings me to another point balancing L/E items isn't just about balancing their stats, but about balancing the journey to find them. Right now, if someone stops to grind for a RoLS, they most likely find the 10-15+ levels they get from killing 10,000 trainers to have a greater impact on their game than the slight impact of the RoLS.
LVL 40|XP 1167608|Gold 63454|RoLS 0|ElyR 0|RoL 0|ChaR 0|GoLF 0|ShaF 0
HP 60|AC 165|AD 26|AP 2/10|CC 0%|CM -|BC 27|DR -
LVL 32|XP 632680|Gold 20154|RoLS 0|ElyR 0|RoL 0|ChaR 0|GoLF 0|ShaF 0
HP 74|AC 190|AD 25-31|AP 3/12|CC 7%|CM -|BC 35|DR 0
SR 2564
phydeaux
VIP
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop
Location: Gargoyle cavern, blindly hacking mobs to pieces till I find a rols!

Post by phydeaux »

Unless oskar has changed how battles work, poison & bleeding wounds do absolutely nothing during a battle, to your char or an enemy mob... If it isn't a stat effect, it doesn't effect battle
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

phydeaux wrote:Unless oskar has changed how battles work, poison & bleeding wounds do absolutely nothing during a battle, to your char or an enemy mob... If it isn't a stat effect, it doesn't effect battle
I think that's only true at higher levels, where you're able to kill everything in 1 turn. But at lower levels, or maybe with new monsters (or some bosses), if it takes us a couple turns, then the effect of poison or bleeding wounds could help.

In the current version, it could also be fun, to hit them with one of those weapons and then flee and watch them slowly die of poison or bleeding wound, if you want to be cruel :twisted:
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
phydeaux
VIP
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop
Location: Gargoyle cavern, blindly hacking mobs to pieces till I find a rols!

Post by phydeaux »

I tested it... Poisoned something then hit end turn or potion for almost a minute... Mob's hp never changed... It's the same as you can jump from battle to battle trying to get to a bed if you have a lot of bleeding wounds... They don't effect you in battle, so they don't effect mobs in battle... Btw, as soon as i fled from that test battle, the poison counters started flashing over the mob's head
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

I've recently switched to Leather gloves of attack
AC: 13%
BC: -2%
Raises max HP +3

Not as much AC as the Fine gloves of swift attack, but also a much smaller BC penalty. I'm finding it goes better with my ElyR based build, since I only get 3 swings per turn (4 if its 2 at a time and I Cleave 3 AP from killing 1), so I needed a better block chance, and could afford to give up some of my attack chance.

But eventually I'll probably go back to the GoLF.

Also, thanks again to JohanX for the Gear List, its been helpful in planning out different combos of equipment, which has helped with keeping things interesting while grinding for points (to get more skills).
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

Mino wrote: Also, thanks again to JohanX for the Gear List, its been helpful in planning out different combos of equipment, which has helped with keeping things interesting while grinding for points (to get more skills).
+1
the gear list is amazing
:D

and, i love what you're doing with the ElyR!
:twisted:

on topic - i would change my vote from TG to the GoLF 8-)
(after dropping criticals from my build)
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

nyktos wrote:on topic - i would change my vote from TG to the GoLF 8-)
(after dropping criticals from my build)
I too am changing my vote to the GoLF. It took a lot of convincing (inner turmoil debating ) in order to get me to make the switch as I am so logical and analytical and I know the TG has better stats (I am not building a critical hit character) but the GoLF with its "extraordinary" blue background glow, it looks better equipped.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Even after starting over and building a non-crit player i still feel that the Troublemakers Gloves are FAR superiour to the Gloves of Life Force. I feel like they should have been switched and the TG should be extraordinary and the Golf should be in a store.

If you make good use of the Increased Fortitude skill the exta HP isnt needed.

just my opinion. :P
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Pyrizzle wrote: I feel like they should have been switched and the TG should be extraordinary and the Golf should be in a store.
I agree and that is why I created this.
But Oskar informed me over the weekend that he is not going to to modify the stats of the GoLF.

The stats versus the TG are not as weak as you might think, especially if you aren't using criticals.
The difference in AC is only 2% & the in BC is only 1%.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"