v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Feature request: have your meat cooked

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Grävling
android_version: 4.0

Feature request: have your meat cooked

Post by Grävling »

I'd like it if I could hand my raw meat to a cook who would, for a percentage of the meat cook them for you. Those of us who are playing characters who won't use bonemeal potions for moral reasons would be the chief beneficiaries, but everybody would appreciate them. Currently raw meat costs 33 gp in a store, and heals you 12 hp for a rate of 2.75 gp a hp.it is bought by storekeepers at 25 gp. Cooked meat heals you 21 hp and costs 69 gp for a rate of 4.238 gp a hp. It is bought by the store for 67 gp Picking a number out of a hat, let us say that cooks take half of your meat in exchange for cooking them. You therefore trade 24 hp for 21, but make a could make a profit of 17 gp. If that is deemed excessive, we could reduce the rate at which stores buy cooked meat -- at rate of 50 gp would leave no profit at all. Since nobody in the game is currently making a living selling cooked meats to shopkeepers, I think we could change this without irritating anybody. Or we could move that the cook takes 2/3rds or even 3/4ths of your meat making the loss in hp even stronger.

The positive in-game effect would be the ability to get a larger heal in the middle of battle. Since it is still only half what the bone potion users get -- it doesn't look terrible in terms of lack of balance. And its is the sort of thing that characters in thsi world would naturally come up with, so it would add to the immersive experience.
lady black
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Re: Feature request: have your meat cooked

Post by lady black »

There have been other suggestions/requests/discussions about getting our meat cooked, so far not resulting in any cooking. Just from the health standpoint we should be able to cook our meat. Think of all those parasites that could be lurking in the raw meat: tapeworms, sheep liver flukes, trichinosis. And I shudder to think of eating meat from rabid animals, raw! We really should have cooking facilities of some sort, and your suggestion is a very reasonable and well reasoned way to accomplish this.
LVL 108; XP 23,138,749; Gold 1,827,209; 4/23/12
HP 130; AP 4/12; AC 328; AD 55-66; CC 9; CM 0; BC 127; DR 2
RoLS 4; RoL 2; ElyR 4; ChaR 11; GoLF 4; ShaF 4
S Rgn, SP: 1:CE,Ev,SM,EB,PB; 2:WA,HH,Cl,BS,MC,BC,CS,QL,IF,Rgn,MF
Chest_Rockfield
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread
Location: Impeached former President of the Too cool for a RoLS Club. ;)

Post by Chest_Rockfield »

Agreed. Also, I imagine he at least cures the meat before putting it in his bag, otherwise I'm going to have an oogy mess resulting from the 1,000 slabs of meat I've been carrying around for months and haven't touched. Actually, they could have a guy that salts and cures meat to avoid all of the problems. Cooked meat goes bad almost as fast as raw meat without refrigeration, but salted/dried/cured meats last a long time even without refrigeration. This way, they wouldn't have to change any prices currently set, just add some. It would be nice if it healed a little bit more than the cooked meat does and had steeper costs associated with it as people who use BMP are already looking at having a problem with adequate in-battle healing numbers in the future (so meat users will have that much harder of a time). [If, however, there is eventually a really harsh punishment for using BMP, that will be unfair that BMP users never had this option, but whatever, final project balance is the goal, right?]
Lvl: 162, XP: 77,249,000, Gold: 2,508,000 RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 18, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 2
HP: 517, AC: 333%, AD: 60-61, AP: 3, CC: 90%, CM: 3, BC: 218%, DR: 0, BMP: 4k+
last_pawn

Post by last_pawn »

Given that hunting for meat is fairly easy, even for low level characters. And cooking meat is a relatively logical task I think we could balance the two against shop prices and achieve balance in the game as well as a logically self sufficient hunter/gatherer/cook. The issue to me is HP and Gold.

Perhaps a 'Cooking' skill could be required as well as possession of a means of starting fire. A player could go hunting for some meat and then choose to cook it. The final product would be cooked meat, for free. Logic would dictate that if a player cooks meat in the woods he would need to be able to defeat any creatures he attracts when doing so? Perhaps a spawn point or restrictions to the cooking places? Perhaps certain areas of the wilderness maps could contain safe camping locations, complete with a fire pit and a bed roll for resting???

Back to civilisation, logically if a player would like to have the inn cook his meat for him, or borrow the stove, the keeper would charge a price for cooking the meat equal to the difference between the price of raw and cooked meat per unit. This would still encourage players to hunt their own meat, for profit or HP and if they take the extra time and risk to cook it before they sell it they would make more profit.

If any entrepreneurial players decide to set up their own Fresh Cooked Game business and rake in the profit, then have fun! Andor's Trail is a great game why not invite those people that would rather be playing the SIMS to come and have fun too? Eventually they'll realise that adventurers earns more Gold. Or get squashed when a future version has weight limits and thieves!

I digress, cooked meat good, make it yourself great!
Commander of the Archer's of the Frog

Level: 50, Gold: 65269 WA 1 D 1 BS 1 CS 2 QL 1 IF 3 R 2 MF 1
Level: 25, Gold: 7940 QL 2 IF 2 MF 2

RoLS: 1, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0. Combined!
Bornain

Post by Bornain »

Maybe there could be a fire place deep in a cave somewhere where you could cook your meat. But you would have to fight your way to it.
Like the kazul cave. It has a hot shrine to start with. Cook your meat there before you cool it down.
Bornain lvl: 47
RoLS: 1, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0

Wilfred lvl 8
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Last_pawn,

IMHO this is a complete overkill when you talk about cooking in the wild. Giving a cook raw meat to cook for you at a price is ok to implement, but I would hate to see the "cooking in the woods" idea implemented.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
last_pawn

Post by last_pawn »

I agree tek,

The whole idea messes with my head because it'd be and epic task to implement, and if you want to go get your own meat cooked then you can already do it. Simply go hunting, sell your meat and buy back cooked meat. What's next, 100 different types of meat with different sprites and HP values? I don't think we need that much lag.

If it could be implemented cleanly though, I think Kardinaal is onto something here:
Kardinaal wrote:new "types" of NPCs - more diverse interaction

shrines

Standing stones, shrines, fountains to drink from,... that heal or give you an actor condition when you "talk" to them. This could be beneficial, harming or both (like more damage, but less life). I don't know if it's possible with the current dialog system, but a 60% chance of blessing, 20% chance of nothing, 20% chance of bad things happening shrine would also work quite well. This could also be a great quest tool (you need to drink from this to kill that boss/pass that door/...).

crafting stations

example: oven.

Talk to the oven, it gives you a number of options to cook (depending on which recepies you've got in your inventory maybe?). Imagine a "cook meat" recipe, the dialog would remove 1 meat and add one cooked meat. Offcourse this system can also be used to create anvils for forging, apothecary tables for mixing potions,...

Trees, rocks, fireplaces ...

Trees for cutting down to get wood for fire and crafting, rocks to mine ores, fireplaces to burn wood on (leaves ash as crafting ingerdient?), ... and other crafting stuff supplying npc's would be great. Maybe requiring an axe / pickaxe / tinderbox ... in inventory to do this?

Doors/roadblocks/...

closed doors in dungeon that require a key to open, a certain amount of damage to break,... Maybe even different ways to open those doors ("bash down" option if your char does at least X damage, pick lock if you've got lockpicks in your inventory, only opens if you've got the right key,...).

You'll see that in most types of NPCs I suggested, there's a requirement of some sort. That gives the developers the chance to define where and when the character has access to these kinds of things (like do the cook meat quest to get the recipy).

Chest_Rockfield
Location: Impeached former President of the Too cool for a RoLS Club. ;)

Post by Chest_Rockfield »

Like tek said, you can already sell meat and buy cooked meat.

Like I said previously, I think, if anything, they should implement someone who will cure your meat for you for a price, that way they do not have to worry about changing anything that's already in the game. They can just add a price to cure and hopefully give cured meat a HP restore of something higher than cooked meat, as people in the game who have chosen not to waste their bone density drinking that poisonous BMP will need something better soon.
Lvl: 162, XP: 77,249,000, Gold: 2,508,000 RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 18, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 2
HP: 517, AC: 333%, AD: 60-61, AP: 3, CC: 90%, CM: 3, BC: 218%, DR: 0, BMP: 4k+
last_pawn

Post by last_pawn »

I concur, like I said when I pointed out that you can already trade raw meat for cooked meat, having a store to pay for your meat to be 'altered' either cooked, cured our poisened doesn't bring anything new to the game but just alters the interface.

giving Andor's brother the ability to do more himself, without shops, brings new dimension. especially for lvl 145 legends grinding their way to v 1.0

Paladino
android_version: 2.2

Re: Craft for Fun or Advantage?!

Post by Paladino »

This is a RPG game, so just have fun and forgot about ur super recently imaginaded power sword, that u kill everybody everywhere!
Crafting should be to prove ur knologe in game where find things and moobs, not to have advantage like a mega potion.
My sujestion for crafting:
A Family Set.
u take all ur normal iten and mix, sameway, with a type of moob‘s skin then u have your unique famy set, add a probrably of this fusion break the item, *** CHAZAM *** u will have a Famaly Set. Like *Diablo II,

Just a idea, for discuss and refine...

sorry for bad typing english...
Play for fun,
don‘t for vantages!