v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Ideas for The Next Meeting

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Thystonius
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: Ideas for The Next Meeting

Post by Thystonius »

Pyrizzle wrote:
Thystonius wrote:Weapons damage a percentage of your base damage
Dual wielding
Area and distance attacks
Pet (dog or cat), trainable and can fight and level like in NetHack
Spells, bows, guns - a more sophisticated combat system
New Game+
etc...
Weapons damage a percentage of your base damage: What do you mean?

Duel wielding is already in the works. (in V7 i believe)

Area and distance attacks / Spells, bows, guns etc: IMO i don't see ranged attacks fitting into the Andor's Trail play style.

Pets: This has been brought up before but as far as i remember it wasn't very well liked.

New Game+ (or starting over with gear) : On this one there are too many problems that would come up. One thing is that players would be able to get all the weaponry from both sides of a quest from doing this, plus starting over is half the fun really. I do it all the time.

Now if you were talking about being able to start over with a higher difficultly, a decision on how that would work would need to be make only when the game was near completion.
I mean the suggestion weapons do not add AD (and AC, DR etc) to your base but add a factor of your base AD (and other stats). Because all is into your base AD it soon does not matter anymore what weapon you use, only the weapon with least AP usage is the best. Now if daggers would make your damage between .3 and .7 of your AD and huge 2H weapons between 1.5 and 2.5, there is a mayor reason to sacrifice many attacks for huge hard hits. Then you can choose to have low AC and wanting many chances of small hits (which actually SUITS daggers) or high AC and hence wanting that smashing hit to come in. This has been discussed but I feel that any idea that requires ESSENTIAL changes such as the combat system to be overhauled is ignored.

I nowhere suggested the quests to be reset with New Game+. As discussed in the the thread, the concept has to be combined with a difficulty system, which is requiring you to complete certain hardcore areas or even the game at hardest difficulty (example Blue Dragon RPG). Choices in quests can either be forever (your suggestion) or part or all quests can be reset. We should discuss these things and the core devs should decide based on technical difficulty and design policy.

And I do totally not get who and why pets are not liked, it is one of the cool aspects of NetHack. Not all classes have a pet, but I love me a samurai with Hachi the Dog :-) (which, btw, grows from puppy via multiple sizes to a huge dog when leveling up). Where is this discussed?

Another point to take to next meeting, shops having their items on the floor makes stealing (or training your pet to fetch) items an option, something that totally fits AT. And why would ranged combat 'not suit AT style', well currently indeed, the only option is face to face combat which severly limits your strategic options. Maybe your character can only start as a barehanded kid (damage factor 1.0), but later on depending on your choices can become an evil spellcaster, or...

Last, I believe something like this is in the making, but if you use damage factors on weapons (to start with), you can add weapon skils like piercing weapons, cleaving weapons, concussion weapons, slashing weapons, stabbing weapons (where are the polearms and spears, at least we are getting axes next release) etc. then without these skills any weapon should be like .2 effective, while at maximum skill you can become 1.2 effective. If you do not know how to fight with an axe, yu should niot be able to maximize your damage output. From what I know out of full contact fighting experience, this should also apply to barehanded fighting (even more than to weapons actually).

Oh and another thing, hunger and thirst? One of the things that make NetHack difficult is to keep up with your food, instead of only dull hp.
Lvl 74|XP 7,280,442|€ 364,324|2013.08.27
HP 229|AC 238%|AD 46-55|AP 3|ECC 25%|CM 3.0|BC 140%|DR 10|SR
RoLS 2|ElyR 1|RoL 0|ChaR 0|GoLF 1|ShaF 1|SRoV 0|VSH 0|WMC 0|GoW 0
WA 1|HH 1|Clv 1|BS 5|CS 2|CE 1|IF 5|Reg 1|DPS 1|DP 1|SP 2|LAP 1
Meirerion

Post by Meirerion »

Thystonius wrote: Oh and another thing, hunger and thirst? One of the things that make NetHack difficult is to keep up with your food, instead of only dull hp.
Oh god don't start again with NetHack :twisted:

I like your damage rewamp idea Thystonius. It would really give some use to high AP weapons.

Oh and for the idea: Potion Mastery.
~May Elythara's wisdom light your path
Xero
android_version: 2.2

Post by Xero »

Once again I really feel like thystonius nailed it
I am in complete agreement.
the mastery system is a great idea and would help balance the game. The reason he comes back to net hack is because net hack was a great game though limited on graphics.
Net hack appealed to so many players because of the intricacy and options for multiple play styles.
The replay factor for this game was among the best.
I also like the idea of the pet. The pet appeals to another play style.
+1
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

here's another idea for discussion: how about an improved version to the "minor potion of speed"? Call it the "major potion of speed" and instead of 5 rounds of a +2 AP, you get 10 rounds/+2AP. It will come with a price break too. Instead of double the rounds for double the price (300 vs 600 gold), I propose a price of 500 gold.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

tek wrote:
here's another idea for discussion: how about an improved version to the "minor potion of speed"? Call it the "major potion of speed" and instead of 5 rounds of a +2 AP, you get 10 rounds/+2AP. It will come with a price break too. Instead of double the rounds for double the price (300 vs 600 gold), I propose a price of 500 gold.
I fully support this idea. But to make it fair to the people who sided with BWM, maybe we can have it sold in one of the new towns in a neutral shop? Or have it so you have to provide either 500 gold, or a minor potion of speed + 250 gold, so those who ended up with a lot of from the auleths but don't have a lot of gold can still get a good amount?
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Xero
android_version: 2.2

Post by Xero »

Mino wrote:
tek wrote:
I fully support this idea. But to make it fair to the people who sided with BWM, maybe we can have it sold in one of the new towns in a neutral shop? Or have it so you have to provide either 500 gold, or a minor potion of speed + 250 gold, so those who ended up with a lot of from the auleths but don't have a lot of gold can still get a good amount?

Good idea

some things I like:
Weapon and or armor mastery (discussed on several posts)
new skills
endless dungeon
New game +
Amulet of enlightenment
Rework quick learner
New weapons
Pets
ranged combat
PK17
android_version: 4.0

Post by PK17 »

About the major potion of speed. Sell it in a neutral shop, but in bwm as well at a reduced price.
Take a stop by my game thread for some forum fun!!!

http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4577
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

PK17 wrote:About the major potion of speed. Sell it in a neutral shop, but in bwm as well at a reduced price.
I kinda feel like it should be in Prim (making siding with them more enticing) since BWMS has a bed at the top of the mountain which allows players to grind faster for the elusive ELYR.

Having a bed at the top of the mountain was one of the biggest selling points for me to side with BWMS,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Search: "Pets"
Thread(s):
http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... =pets#p108
http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ets#p14953 (V7 Think Tank)
http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ets#p19687
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thystonius

Post by Thystonius »

Pyrizzle wrote:
PK17 wrote:About the major potion of speed. Sell it in a neutral shop, but in bwm as well at a reduced price.
I kinda feel like it should be in Prim (making siding with them more enticing) since BWMS has a bed at the top of the mountain which allows players to grind faster for the elusive ELYR.

Having a bed at the top of the mountain was one of the biggest selling points for me to side with BWMS,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Search: "Pets"
Thread(s):
http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... =pets#p108
http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ets#p14953 (V7 Think Tank)
http://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ets#p19687
Who cares for the bed... build your character up in a good way and you do not need to regen at all :-)
I actually start to regret my choice for Prim since I understood BWM gives a unique weapon... the potions in Prim are until now close to useless. Of course this might change in the future :-)
Thystonius

Post by Thystonius »

Xero wrote:Once again I really feel like thystonius nailed it
I am in complete agreement.
the mastery system is a great idea and would help balance the game. The reason he comes back to net hack is because net hack was a great game though limited on graphics.
Net hack appealed to so many players because of the intricacy and options for multiple play styles.
The replay factor for this game was among the best.
I also like the idea of the pet. The pet appeals to another play style.
+1
NetHack has a mod available since ages with graphic tiles very much resembling AT. I didn't play it much in ASCII.

Well it seems I agree a lot with you too, but not many people do. Will log in from time to time and maybe in a year or two will have all L/E items, but loosing interest fast. I need to download NH and some other nice games and stop wasting time.