v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

AT Editor

Discussions of the development process of the game.
DarkSavant13
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

AT Editor

Post by DarkSavant13 »

The Andor's Trail Editor is located here: http://andors-trail.googlecode.com/svn/ ... ditor.html. It is used to make quests, dialog, actor conditions, monsters/NPCs, items, and item drops. With it you can make entire quests minus the maps.

The AT editor is a very useful tool, but it needs some tweaks. I am going to only mention two right now because these are two things I consider the most important things that need to be done to it.

Import (download) Files from computer/phone
It would be extremely useful for us if we could import entire files, including all of the files (code) that makes up a quest at once. This would speed up production and would help us to work helping other others with their projects.

Export (upload) entire files (code) to your computer/phone. Being able to quickly back-up your work could save you immense amounts of time, instead of saving many sections of code individually.
Ian
android_version: 4.2

Re: AT Editor

Post by Ian »

DarkSavant13, you're totally right. I had the same problem when I created new actorconditions and npcs. I had always to copy my new files into import. That wasn't fun!
Mapmaker for Andor's Trail
Lvl: 73, XP: 6655552, Gold: 327905, RoLS: -, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 58, AC: 260%, AD: 52-62, AP: 3, ECC: -, CM: -, BC: 164%, DR: 1
DarkSavant13

Post by DarkSavant13 »

Maybe Oskar could add a couple of "Save as" buttons or something similar to each section, such as "Save as .xml" and "save as .txt". Each of these would save to the folder of your choice on SD card. :D

Along with those could also be a couple of load buttons. "Load .xml from ..." and "Load .txt from..." for instance. Loading from your folders on SD card. :D

This would make everything much easier and faster for those of us creating quests, etc.. :D

I have to be honest. The lack of this small feature in the AT Content Editor has caused me frustration more than a few times, and as before (when I first started the quest I am creating) I created the entire quest in ten hours and had ten minutes of work left, when I accidentally touched the back button on my phone and it was gone. :shock: After that discouraging event, it is hard for me to get into creating the quest, although I force myself for the greater good of Andor's Trail. It's now taking me MUCH longer to get it done. :(

It is too bad that even though the game has an excellent save system, a tool like AT Editor that is so integral to the open-source creation of the quests, etc., doesn't allow you to save as easily, a change that can turn out content faster and more easily.

You see, if you are using the editor on the computer, you may not see a reason for the change. But, for those of us creating with phones, the editor is a bear to use without save and load buttons. ;)
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

yeah, i remember the post about your lost work...

tragedy...

:cry:

great thread, really...
then i can work more from my phone without being at home!

and great job on that Hero Image!!!
you really did that on a phone?!?

that's pretty sick man!
good stuff - and from a phone?
NICE!

:twisted:
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
DarkSavant13

Post by DarkSavant13 »

nyktos wrote:yeah, i remember the post about your lost work...

tragedy...

:cry:

great thread, really...
then i can work more from my phone without being at home!

and great job on that Hero Image!!!
you really did that on a phone?!?

that's pretty sick man!
good stuff - and from a phone?
NICE!

:twisted:
Thanks, Nyktos! :D

Do a search in Google Play for an app called Pixel Art. ;) It's perfect for the NPC, Monster, Character, etc, tiles. You could even make items and map tiles. I may start playing around with it for a bit to see what I can come up with.

I saw a post about leather caps, helms, and other headwear looking terrible on the hero so of course I just HAD to try a leather helm, lol. :lol: I took the red headband and turned it into a part of the cap, and put the flap on the back of the neck, sorta like those Foreign Legion caps that they use in the desert but made of leather with some metal studs. :P

Back to the AT Editor, though, lol. :lol:

Think Oskar will go for it? It actually seems like an important step in helping to get more content churned out for AT. ;)

My quest is about 3/4 done now (or I should say redone :lol: ), just hopin' for an update to the editor for savin' and loadin'. ;)

Just realized something else that needs fixing for phone use. Well, a couple of things...

•Every time you enter the editor for the first time that session, you have to reload to get the left frame to display properly. The items there do not open all the way to view things like actor conditions, quests, etc. This may make it much harder to impossible for someone just starting to try to use it on their phone.

•If you have a large list of actor conditions, for example, the list does not scroll so you can only see the actor conditions until the list disappears behind the quest tab. So, if you import all actor conditions from AT, you get a list that is way too long to see properly. Being able to scroll through actor conditions, quests, items, dialog (this is about to become a problem for me with my quest), droplists, and monsters/npcs would be GREAT. Without scrolling of these lists, creating long quests could become impossible, and importing .xml from AT makes the lists impossible to manage.
Ian
android_version: 4.2

Post by Ian »

Awesome idea! It would be really good if Oskar added some save buttons! Hopefully he'll read this topic. Anyway, you could a new issue about the content editor. So Oskar and the other devs knew about the problem much faster. :)

I'm very sorry about your tradegy with your quest. :cry: (I actually thought that you only draw monster tilesets but it's very welcome that you started to create quests. I'm excited what this quest is about). :D

It's nice that you want to review my monsters for v.0.6.12!!! :D Thank you!
Mapmaker for Andor's Trail
Lvl: 73, XP: 6655552, Gold: 327905, RoLS: -, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 58, AC: 260%, AD: 52-62, AP: 3, ECC: -, CM: -, BC: 164%, DR: 1
DarkSavant13

Post by DarkSavant13 »

Ian wrote:Awesome idea! It would be really good if Oskar added some save buttons! Hopefully he'll read this topic. Anyway, you could a new issue about the content editor. So Oskar and the other devs knew about the problem much faster. :)

I'm very sorry about your tradegy with your quest. :cry: (I actually thought that you only draw monster tilesets but it's very welcome that you started to create quests. I'm excited what this quest is about). :D

It's nice that you want to review my monsters for v.0.6.12!!! :D Thank you!
Hey, we're all in this together, we do what we can. ;)

I actually have been working on my quest for a while and just downloaded an app called Pixel Art that will let me do monster and NPC tilesets using my phone.

I have another app called Autodesk Sketchbook Mobile. When I saw this program I got super excited and downloaded it. Turns out I need a stylus and don't have one, lol. Soon as I get that stylus, though, there will be monsters galore! :twisted:

I would be honored to review your monsters for 6.12. :D if there's one thing I know, it's monsters, lol. For the gaming company I worked for, I created and drew over 200 monsters in 3 months, you never saw me not drawing something. :P

These monsters will be fun, too, just tiny. ;)

I just got an idea! I'm postin' a new thread. :D
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

Oskar may not post much but he keeps his eye on the forums. ;)

I will check into this but keep in mind the editor was never designed to be used on the small screen of a phone.

Plus saving/loading like your suggesting would require some server side processing and I am not sure that Google Code hosting has that capability, something else I will check into.
DarkSavant13

Post by DarkSavant13 »

Thanks, SD. :D

It is my opinion that making the design more mobile friendly will encourage players to submit content. ;) It would certainly help me, and if one person is interested then there's a good chance that out of 300,000 there are others it would help as well. :)

And hey, anyone not near their computer could work on it also, like in Nyktos's comment. :D
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

DarkSavant13 wrote:Thanks, SD. :D

It is my opinion that making the design more mobile friendly will encourage players to submit content. ;) It would certainly help me, and if one person is interested then there's a good chance that out of 300,000 there are others it would help as well. :)

And hey, anyone not near their computer could work on it also, like in Nyktos's comment. :D
I like the idea, just need to make sure its possible lol.