Friendliness improvements!

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
DemiImp
android_version: 4.0

Friendliness improvements!

Post by DemiImp »

Although I've only been playing for a short while, here's a list of things I'd love to to see changed:

1. The beginning needs less grind. You're stuck on about 4 screens for way too long. This is only made worse due to money being extremely hard to come by, as equipment is the best way a beginner to become powerful enough to explore. Farming snakes for money is not fun after the first half hour. Either there needs to be more screens or more quests for both levels 1-5 and 5-10 or much more money/equipment should be rewarded to the player for doing the quests that are there.
2. Increased fortitude should work retroactively. It really is unnecessary for it to behave the way it does now. Playing the game and missing that skill at level 4/5 is honestly not a good user experience. It honestly makes me upset to realize that the player I was getting attached to had been screwed up irreversibly. It makes it worse that I've, and likely most players, noticed it at level 8 and had a long and dry grind experience up to that point. Is there any good reason this skill shouldnt be applied retroactively? I cant think of any. It's practically the game laughing at you for not spending the first hour of the game in menus and not intuitively knowing how all the game mechanics work (aka: a new player doesn't know what's valuable before he really starts exploring the world and fights multiple types of enemies) ... at the very least it should he the first ability mentioned.
3. Battles should start with a white flash or something. It can be disorienting when you are trying to move and you suddenly stop. You may tap to see if the touch screen just stopped working and then find out you just swong at your opponent. This often happens when an enemy is hiding behind a tree or whatnot.
4. An option to have units slide between squares instead of just jumping to a new location. This should include your character as well. Not only would it make some enemy movements clearer, but I think it would make things look nicer.
5. Instead of enemies attacking at a specific rate, it would be nice if I could tap to advance the combat. I usually sit there tapping like crazy anyway when I'm grinding even when its not my own turn, so it would be nice to have that option :)
6. Lose the percentages. They are honestly confusing. How can I have a hit rate of 150%, the enemy have no block rate and I'm still missing? The only way to find out is to search online and find out that it isn't a percentage.
7. A beginners guide. It would be nice to have something explain the basics, such as what AP is, how hit chance is calculated, etc in the game itself. I still dont know what decreasing my movement AP would do since you cant seem to move in combat. I wish there was something in the game to explain it.
8. I am quickly seeing that unarmed combat is brokenly awesome. I can equip 2 rings that give me +4 damage EACH and attack 5 times each turn at level 10? Hmmm...

I'm sure i could find other things, but those were the most major. I'm sure I will find more as I play :) Sorry if this pst made it sound like I haven't enjoyed the game so far, I have but these things have just irked me quite a bit and I assume they are things that could ruin the game for others.
Last edited by DemiImp on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Re: Friendliness improvements!

Post by Sarumar »

Welcom to the forums,
Nice first post, most of those things are already suggested. Please remember that this game is still in beta.

1) Yes, there will be more lowlevel quest in future (I hope and believe).
2) I disagree, Fortitude is fine already. You dont miss much If you lose couble HP.
3) Go to preferences and choose confim monster attack option.
5) Go to preferences and change the combat speed
6 & 7) Beginners quide / tutorial is coming sooner or later
8) Yes... thats true and will be changet in future (I hope).

Please keep on posting.

Happy hunting
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Lavic
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by Lavic »

Your welcome to the forums, I wanted to add I like the fact a mob can surprise you and jump out from behind a tree. It adds another realistic aspect in my opinion.
Khazuul Xenocide, Lavic, Shadow Walker
-Lvl: 44, HP: 115, AP: 12, AC: 215%, AD: 17-28, Crit: -11, BC: 105%, DR: 1
-RoL: 1
DemiImp

Post by DemiImp »

Sarumar wrote:Welcom to the forums,
Nice first post, most of those things are already suggested. Please remember that this game is still in beta.

1) Yes, there will be more lowlevel quest in future (I hope and believe).
2) I disagree, Fortitude is fine already. You dont miss much If you lose couble HP.
3) Go to preferences and choose confim monster attack option.
5) Go to preferences and change the combat speed
6 & 7) Beginners quide / tutorial is coming sooner or later
8) Yes... thats true and will be changet in future (I hope).

Please keep on posting.

Happy hunting
1. Ive already read meeting 9s discussion thread and I hope so
2. But with that kind of logic it would also be fine to gain that hp :) Its the ONLY time sensitive skill, which honestly makes it the odd one out that should be corrected. Are you penalized for taking accuracy first before hard hit? In the end no, it makes no difference what order you get them in. This holds true for everything except with improved fortitude.
3. I have. That doesnt help when you are getting ambushed
5. Not the same as I could keep the combat progressing at my own variable rate
6&7. Good :) I didnt see these mentioned in the suggestion thread
8. I hope they do too. Ive seen it mentioned before already but felt it was important to cast a vote
Sarumar
VIP

Post by Sarumar »

Demilmp wrote: 2. But with that kind of logic it would also be fine to gain that hp :) Its the ONLY time sensitive skill, which honestly makes it the odd one out that should be corrected. Are you penalized for taking accuracy first before hard hit? In the end no, it makes no difference what order you get them in. This holds true for everything except with improved fortitude.
2) There is QL too ;) and ability to raise your HP +5 in level update is completelly wasted if Fortitude is retroactive... I love the idea but it will be owerpowered if I now use skill point in Fortitude and gain 200+ hp for it :twisted:
3) There are too this battle information in upper part of screen...
5) ....
Sarumar

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
DemiImp

Post by DemiImp »

Sarumar wrote:
Demilmp wrote: 2. But with that kind of logic it would also be fine to gain that hp :) Its the ONLY time sensitive skill, which honestly makes it the odd one out that should be corrected. Are you penalized for taking accuracy first before hard hit? In the end no, it makes no difference what order you get them in. This holds true for everything except with improved fortitude.
2) There is QL too ;) and ability to raise your HP +5 in level update is completelly wasted if Fortitude is retroactive... I love the idea but it will be owerpowered if I now use skill point in Fortitude and gain 200+ hp for it :twisted:
3) There are too this battle information in upper part of screen...
5) ....
2. If putting 5 in hp is wasted then maybe one or both are unbalanced? Because that would mean that the best option is to do it early or you are significantly weaker than you could be.
3. Yes but its not always noticable to new players like me. It would be nicer if there was a larger indicator of what is going on.
5. Are you suggesting i constantly go into the settings and change the rate depending on the battle and my health? It would be a great improvement if i could control the rate by just tapping. Its like the ability to get notified only when rare items appear... it sounds like you would suggest that if you care you should just leave the item drop box on all the time. Im suggesting a better combat flow than the current 1-speed method.
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by fiernaq »

1) Agreed. I hate the grind.
2) Disagree. Taking +HP at lvl up is a completely viable option. Increased Fortitude is not all that supremely awesome that you can't take it at lvl 30 for example and be just fine. In that example you will have missed out on 25 HP. Throw in 5 levels and you're caught up as opposed to the 4 levels you'd need to get a skill point to spend on IF. They're roughly balanced and missing out on IF early on is not a game-breaker.
3) Not sure what you mean here... I saw that Sarumar answered your question but you said it doesn't help... if you have the "Confirm Attack" option turned on in settings then if you're walking along and get attacked by a monster it will pop up a big dialog box letting you know that combat has started. Does this not serve the same purpose as the "white flash" you mentioned?
4) Partially agree. It would be nice to have as an option but I'm pretty sure that people like me would turn it off because it would require more system resources meaning that battery life is decreased and the game could lag on slower phones.
5) Agreed. The current options are "Slow", "Normal", "Fast", and "Instant (no animations)". However, the Instant mode runs all of a monsters attacks at once and you don't get to see everything happen. I would definitely like to have an "Instant - click through" option that removes all animations but allows you to click in order to advance combat through each attack.
6) Agreed. I see no reason why we can't have 150 AC instead of 150% AC and likewise for BC (don't know about ECC but probably it too would benefit from this). This makes stats more readable to new players who, after seeing that they have 60 AC will now ask the question "how much AC do I need to quit missing?" instead of seeing 60% AC and just assuming that they have a 60% chance to hit. I know that as a new player I thought I was golden once I finally reached 100% BC only to have my dreams of invulnerability ground into dust the first time I got hit.
7) Working on this. I have a few pieces put together so far and hope to have enough done before 6.12 that I can give them to Nyktos to have them added. The idea is to put books or dialog within the game that will teach you about some of the more difficult to understand concepts without actually being a "tutorial". It will all be in-world literature that allows you to stay within the role-playing part of this game instead of jumping you out of it into a definitely not in-game help screen.
8) Shhhh, we don't talk about unarmed combat here. Just let it happen Image
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Sarumar
VIP

Post by Sarumar »

fiernaq wrote:1) Agreed. I hate the grind.
2) Disagree. Taking +HP at lvl up is a completely viable option. Increased Fortitude is not all that supremely awesome that you can't take it at lvl 30 for example and be just fine. In that example you will have missed out on 25 HP. Throw in 5 levels and you're caught up as opposed to the 4 levels you'd need to get a skill point to spend on IF. They're roughly balanced and missing out on IF early on is not a game-breaker.
3) Not sure what you mean here... I saw that Sarumar answered your question but you said it doesn't help... if you have the "Confirm Attack" option turned on in settings then if you're walking along and get attacked by a monster it will pop up a big dialog box letting you know that combat has started. Does this not serve the same purpose as the "white flash" you mentioned?
4) Partially agree. It would be nice to have as an option but I'm pretty sure that people like me would turn it off because it would require more system resources meaning that battery life is decreased and the game could lag on slower phones.
5) Agreed. The current options are "Slow", "Normal", "Fast", and "Instant (no animations)". However, the Instant mode runs all of a monsters attacks at once and you don't get to see everything happen. I would definitely like to have an "Instant - click through" option that removes all animations but allows you to click in order to advance combat through each attack.
6) Agreed. I see no reason why we can't have 150 AC instead of 150% AC and likewise for BC (don't know about ECC but probably it too would benefit from this). This makes stats more readable to new players who, after seeing that they have 60 AC will now ask the question "how much AC do I need to quit missing?" instead of seeing 60% AC and just assuming that they have a 60% chance to hit. I know that as a new player I thought I was golden once I finally reached 100% BC only to have my dreams of invulnerability ground into dust the first time I got hit.
7) Working on this. I have a few pieces put together so far and hope to have enough done before 6.12 that I can give them to Nyktos to have them added. The idea is to put books or dialog within the game that will teach you about some of the more difficult to understand concepts without actually being a "tutorial". It will all be in-world literature that allows you to stay within the role-playing part of this game instead of jumping you out of it into a definitely not in-game help screen.
+1 nice post and I love your suggestion about 6), Please let the devs know about it.
Sarumar

DemiImp

Post by DemiImp »

fiernaq wrote:1) Agreed. I hate the grind.
2. What improved fortitude does is give you an extra levels every 5 levels. I mean sure, at level 30 all you would have to do to catch up is gain 5 more levels and we would be equal. Of couse if you didnt take improved fortitude at level 30 when I get to level 35 I would have an extra level's worth of hp. But if 25 hp is not a big deal at level 30 then why not let it be retroactive? I dont understand why you dont see it as a punishment for not taking it as early as possible. It not being retroactive makes it a much worse option the higher level you are. No other skill is like that.
3. I should have clearified. When enemies attack you it not very obvious what is going on. I feel like if the screen flashed or something popped up like the popup you can enable would be significantly better than combat commencing unannounced.
7. Awesome! :) ... Be sure to fit in that skills are obtained every 4 levels. After I got my first one I had no idea when to expect the next, lol
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

DemiImp wrote: Although I've only been playing for a short while, here's a list of things I'd love to to see changed:

We always welcome constructive critisim and wanted to say thank you for taking the time to voice your opinions. :mrgreen:
DemiImp wrote:1. The beginning needs less grind. You're stuck on about 4 screens for way too long. This is only made worse due to money being extremely hard to come by, as equipment is the best way a beginner to become powerful enough to explore. Farming snakes for money is not fun after the first half hour. Either there needs to be more screens or more quests for both levels 1-5 and 5-10 or much more money/equipment should be rewarded to the player for doing the quests that are there.

We are hoping to make the transition from the starting city to other areas a lil easier by creating new quests for lower level players (and hopefully help get the players ready for the adventure)
DemiImp wrote:2. Increased fortitude should work retroactively. It really is unnecessary for it to behave the way it does now. Playing the game and missing that skill at level 4/5 is honestly not a good user experience. It honestly makes me upset to realize that the player I was getting attached to had been screwed up irreversibly. It makes it worse that I've, and likely most players, noticed it at level 8 and had a long and dry grind experience up to that point. Is there any good reason this skill shouldnt be applied retroactively? I cant think of any. It's practically the game laughing at you for not spending the first hour of the game in menus and not intuitively knowing how all the game mechanics work (aka: a new player doesn't know what's valuable before he really starts exploring the world and fights multiple types of enemies) ... at the very least it should he the first ability mentioned.

I agree that the skills and other inner workings of the game should be explained a bit more to the newer players, this is something that we are working on. (and once again this is something that we are working on)
As far as the actual machanics of I.F.: It is perfect just the way it is.

DemiImp wrote:3. Battles should start with a white flash or something. It can be disorienting when you are trying to move and you suddenly stop. You may tap to see if the touch screen just stopped working and then find out you just swong at your opponent. This often happens when an enemy is hiding behind a tree or whatnot.

The cue that you have entered battle is NPCs heath appears at the top of the screen and the Attack, End Turn, and Flee button also appear. There is no need to change this IMHO.
(the flash idea reminds me too much of the Pokemon games)

DemiImp wrote:4. An option to have units slide between squares instead of just jumping to a new location. This should include your character as well. Not only would it make some enemy movements clearer, but I think it would make things look nicer.

I'm pretty sure that adding this would slow down gameplay. Plus as is is does seem like the monsters do pop out from behind things to attack.
DemiImp wrote:5. Instead of enemies attacking at a specific rate, it would be nice if I could tap to advance the combat. I usually sit there tapping like crazy anyway when I'm grinding even when its not my own turn, so it would be nice to have that option :)

Gameplay can speed up with changing the animations from the Options menu
DemiImp wrote:6. Lose the percentages. They are honestly confusing. How can I have a hit rate of 150%, the enemy have no block rate and I'm still missing? The only way to find out is to search online and find out that it isn't a percentage.

No way, the % help to show how your player has progressed as you go along, w/o them you would have no idea if it was a good idea to attack something or just run away
DemiImp wrote:7. A beginners guide. It would be nice to have something explain the basics, such as what AP is, how hit chance is calculated, etc in the game itself. I still dont know what decreasing my movement AP would do since you cant seem to move in combat. I wish there was something in the game to explain it.

Definitly working on this, we have started a few ideas already, please keep in mind the game is still a masterpeice in progress
DemiImp wrote: 8. I am quickly seeing that unarmed combat is brokenly awesome. I can equip 2 rings that give me +4 damage EACH and attack 5 times each turn at level 10? Hmmm...

Agree! Bare handed is broken and really needs to be fixed
DemiImp wrote:I'm sure i could find other things, but those were the most major. I'm sure I will find more as I play :) Sorry if this pst made it sound like I haven't enjoyed the game so far, I have but these things have just irked me quite a bit and I assume they are things that could ruin the game for others.

Thank you again for voicing your opinion, please let us know if you have any other conserns or questions! :mrgreen:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------