v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Great Game! My thoughts and ideas.

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
nether
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Great Game! My thoughts and ideas.

Post by nether »

Hello everyone, my name is nether and I have a few ideas and thoughts that were brewing in my head as I quickly sped through this wonderful game that has me absolutely addicted, let me tell you :mrgreen:. I apologize for anything that I post that might have been addressed in another topic or a previous thread, I've checked around just a little bit to see if I wasn't posting anything already discussed, so I hope I'm safe in that area. If not, please just ignore it. It's ok if my ideas are things that cant be implemented at a later date or too imbalanced\meh, these are just things I'd like to get off my mind. If anyone wants me to expand on certain points that I don't give too much detail on, feel free to ask! I just want to get this out and make it as short as possible lol.

I'll start off with:

Traveling:
Moving throughout the game to different places isn't bad or too slow in my opinion... however my only qualm is the fact that to get to places where I either want to grind or need to finish a quest that is out of the way such as going from Prim to Blackwater constantly, or something of that nature, it can get tiresome running into mobs and having to eliminate those guys on the way. In my frustration I actually even used the bed in the abandoned house to get back to Blackwater quicker via suicide. I had the idea of some type of fast travel, lets say like a portal\minecart similar to the one that you encounter in Blackwater that lets you go back to the Prim basically. It wouldn't have to be for TOO many places, because in all honesty traveling isn't that difficult. But lets say it could be offered on a limited basis or something of that nature, or even just within a quest to make life easier.

Enchantment\Crafting system:
This is something that I think could easily be imba if not put in correctly, but fun in any game regardless. Perhaps it could be put in armories or weapons store as an anvil/furnace where you can bring the right items that you would collect from monsters (scrap metal/items of magical nature/etc) to get various bonuses, or even sometimes negatives if you were to fail... or if you would not want to have negatives, instead it could just have a chance of not working. The enchantment would just add right into the weapons name, like how we have the balanced steel sword. Not too sure about an option of being able to enchant the same weapon again for an even better enchantment, that might be too overpowered... but all possible. Maybe if it was scaled.... an example of progression would be something like this (taken from another game I've played)

Supreme --> Artisan ---> Legendary

Even gems could be used to this effect. Items could come with sockets and gems\crystals you collect can either come enchanted or able to be upgraded in some way to put on your weapons\armor.

Increasing item drop prices\More monster item drops\Adjusting gold prices early game
AFAIK the only way to make money early-game is to farm meat like a madman. It would be nice to see item prices perhaps increase or something to be done with the balancing of gold in the beginning stages of the game rather. Getting meat isn't that difficult, its just surprising that its the only real way to make money at low levels. Monsters could just drop more valuable items too. They don't have to be equipment per say, but something like the gems we have now, but maybe a price increase on them. Or just increase the price of gems? All ideas.

Healing methods:
Another thing that was kind of strange was food. Early game the best thing to eat is bread until you have access to bonemeal potions which then becomes the next best thing in terms of pricing as soon as your HP is above 40. I've never brought any other food item other than bread once I realized that meat wasn't worth eating since it was cheaper to just eat bread twice\sell any meat I picked up. All of the other food items either heal too low or are too expensive for what their worth. Even potions are practically useless due to the fact that the minor is more expensive than bread and they both heal the same (I was almost convinced there had to be something up with that, like minor potions used less AP lol) I'm sure what you guys are planning to do with restocking inns and such will change this, but this is just something that came across to me throughout the game. There was a post in the general discussion that I also saw address this which actually helped me stick with bread til I could get enough bones for the bonemeal potions.
Loot dialog display:
This is another small thing that I often thought about while grinding in certain areas. I used to keep this off at all times because I really didn't need to know how much experience or gold I was getting, as long as I was getting it :P, as well as the fact that it was just too bulky for me.... I have big fingers so running through areas and closing that screen constantly at the same time can be a nuisance. Later on I started getting more interested in item drops, especially for legendaries\extraordinary weapons\armor (which I actually didn't even realize existed until I found this forum outside of boss drops).... but I just can't stand that screen enough to keep it on. The notifications screen is easier and tells me what I need to know, but it unfortunately doesn't tell me what item I've acquired which is what I really want to know. The idea I had was maybe something of this effect that could just pop up or have a little sliding animation

+ -- Gold
+ -- EXP
+ )(Item)

This could be fairly short, just to show you what your getting. If you killed more monsters in a given period then the timer could process (if that makes sense lol) it could just stack to what you currently have.
Status curing potions:
As I played through the game and ran through BWM\Prim (sided with Prim on accident which is another thing I want to bring up)
I unlocked these as I finished up all of the quests in those areas. I was really happy to see these potions at first due my extreme dislike of minor fatigue and other status effects. However when I brought a couple of them and went back to fight some wyrms\trainers, I quickly noticed that they were really pointless almost! the fully grown wyrms have a 50% chance to land fatigue and the trainers I believe 70%, or it may be higher. No matter what, I will always get fatigued in a fight with one of those guys unless I resort to boring hit and run tactics. Essentially your using a potion for every trainer or wyrm you fight, which I didn't really have the gold for at the time. Even if I did have the gold, the effort is wasted IMO. I even found that it was more efficient to just forgo said cure potions and stock up on even more bonemeal potions, which were cheaper and let me tear through those guys a lot quicker. Perhaps if those potions had rounds to them (not very long ones since rounds stop counting in combat I believe), maybe 1-2 rounds of immunity to fatigue or said ailment?
More status buffs\ailments:
I absolutely hated and loved these things as I played this game. Getting chaos gripped\triple stacked bleeding\fatigued\etc was so frustrating but it was what made this game challenging for me in a way. To even buff monsters with this things as well would be sweet as well, give boss monsters\tougher areas even more of a challenge if difficulties are implemented. I'd like to see more of those in the future, maybe some things like:

Debuffs on self:
Fear
Frozen
Intimidated
Held
Domination
Mind Wrack
Persuasion
Drained
Blindness
Hypnotized
Scorched
Encumbered\Enfeebled
Curse
Paralysis

Buffs on monster\person:
Incorporeal - (esp for ghosts\etc)
Bark Skin
Incendiary Grip
Shadow Touch
Vigor
Berserk

And I can easily fill these in if needed\later. At the moment I don't have too much time.

More questing options\notifications of change
At BWM and Prim, sided with Prim on accident because I thought I could slightly prolong the storyline there by lying to the leader in Prim and then spying on BWM for him, kind of taking advantage of both sides. Unfortunately I was wrong and when I got back to the BWM leader (I had also saved many times along the way since it was tough, he gave me no other option but to either negotiate or kill him... I'd like more notifications when you are about to make a perm. major decision like that, for example (By doing this, you'll be siding with so and so. Are you sure?). I believe\am sure that point is something that has been already brought up too. I'd also like to see weapons\armor for quest rewards as well, maybe even a choice of an item among many at the end of each quest that could be randomized or fixed, for example lets say you didn't want a sword for the flagstone arc, instead you had the option of taking a mace after you killed the dragon.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Very happy that I stumbled across this game in the app store, I've been enjoying it for so long and I hope that these thoughts and ideas can help.
Lavic
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Re: Great Game! My thoughts and ideas.

Post by Lavic »

Please do not apologize for putting your ideas up here, we all cannot keep up on Everything, even though some of us try.

Traveling:
This is a highly discussed topic and I have just posted previous to this one about on why we need fast travel, however I do not believe it should be available to you until After you have completed all quests in the area. i.e. killing or convincing a leader of Prim or BW to Unlock the availability to portal. You shouldn't be able to fast travel and get a shortcut through a quest. Going up and down the mountain is the main part of the quest, if you can't handle it, you can't do the quest.

Enchantment/Crafting:
I like the idea of enchantment, however I'm not sure how far the dev's want to go with this. The enchantment or 'upgrading' idea is great and is already part of Remgard, you can upgrade 'certain' items there. I like your idea, however it would take a lot of changing and manipulating of the game to implement.

Crafting:
I think we are currently thinking about this idea, all the little stuff like poison glands, gems, animal hairs, and whatnot are being thought of as minor items to create potions at the time. If we could do more and make armour that would be great!

Increasing Gold/item/ect.:
I think the Dev's wanted us to have a tough time in the beginning and have to struggle a little bit to get further and then later in the game it becomes easier. This is being thought about and may be more balanced out in the future. The next update I understand will change the price of gems, potions, and do something to the idea you like. I do know that at higher levels I just grind for legendary items and gain so many potions and gold that it doesn't matter after about lvl 25.

Healing:
The next update as I understand it will change all this. Bread->meat->bonemeal. This formula will change and I personally am curious to see what it is. As I said in my previous paragraph, I gain most of my potions from monsters from grinding for legendary items. Lets see the next update then discuss this topic more.

Item drops:
If I read you correctly, I think your idea is good and showing the item dropped rather than just xp, gold, and an item. There is a quick show option that you can choose and you do not have to click anything, however you are correct, it does not show what item you acquired. I think it might be a waste of memory to get this done, you can simply look in your inventory to what item you gain. In any case it would be cool to see what you grab when you grab it, up to the Dev's.

Status Curing Potions:
This is a topic I've been thinking about and have not posted about, I think that most of the curing potions are worthless because you are right, the price is ridiculous and can just heal past it a lot easier. I personally have never used them and probably never will, I have found other ways around it through healing or having more hits per turn. I believe the price of these should be greatly lowered or how they distribute their affect should be highly changed.

More Status Buffs/Ailmebts:
AGREE!!

More Questing Options:
I disagree, I think that the mystery behind who you choose with is pretty well balanced and should stay that way, you can't change your mind in real life at any time you want... A lot of this game is about realism. By saving, going back, and doing another thing you are in a sense cheating. Your first character is your true form and character and should be preserved in his choices. If you choose this you get this and in real life you'll never know the other way. So this I Disagree.

Thank you again for your ideas and thoughts, they were great!!! I finally found a computer at the library I can use and was able to to respond to all this. Keep up the good work!! :) :ugeek:
Khazuul Xenocide, Lavic, Shadow Walker
-Lvl: 44, HP: 115, AP: 12, AC: 215%, AD: 17-28, Crit: -11, BC: 105%, DR: 1
-RoL: 1
LordLancelot
android_version: 4.0

Post by LordLancelot »

I agree that the extreme high cost of Status Curing Potions make no sense compared to the 50gp bone potion (who are correctly priced), the status curing should also cost in the 50 range, and should last for 2 rounds.

P.S.
nether I like all your suggestions.
L37 Naked: 86hp, 10 AP, AC 125, AD 22, 2.5k gp
Gear: HP 102, AC 259, 12AP, Dam 6X 28-34, BC 12, DR 1
Skills:40-44 evasion or weapons, 50 Fortitude 4, 54,58,62 F5 65
QS dag, Rem C V, E C Helm, Vacor's B, Marrow, Villain's ring 2X, L G attack, Rem Shield
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

LordLancelot wrote:I agree that the extreme high cost of Status Curing Potions make no sense compared to the 50gp bone potion (who are correctly priced), the status curing should also cost in the 50 range, and should last for 2 rounds.

P.S.
nether I like all your suggestions.
i agree, and i will try to remember to bring this up in the next meeting...

(sometimes i forget my notes, so i can't promise anything!)

:lol:

and...

with the HUGE way that food & potions are changing in v0.7 (the next update)...
this is the perfect time to adjust prices & locations of existing items.

[to make them more "useable" and thus, making the game more playable / enjoyable]
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]