v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Wiki Documentation

A place to discuss anything not related to the game.
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: Next Dev Meeting?

Post by Pyrizzle »

Taledus wrote:I'd like to help out as much as I can without ruining the game for myself.
a few ideas: (that won't ruin your fun)

[1]Write dialog for quests (Start new storylines that don't interaction with current gameplay)
[2]Create maps of openland areas
[3]Create dungeons
[4]Etc

We love to see more from the players. :mrgreen:

I'm currently working on something that includes [1] + [3] + [4] (info on # 4 is top secret) :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taledus
android_version: 4.0

Post by Taledus »

I am going to try and address things in as much detail as possible in hopes that I can convey my point to be as clear as I can. I'll apologize now for the lengthy post here ;)

The Design Document
This is broken up into the following areas:
Preface

Document Changelog

Overall
-Setting
-Character Personalities
-Quests / conversation guidelines
-Choices
-Combat and character development

In-game Concepts
-The Shadow
-Kazaul / Elythara
-Feygard
-Nor City
-Feygard vs Nor City

Is the main story already defined?

Things that have been rejected so far
Additional information can be found on the Wiki Pages that covers the following areas:
Questmaking tutorial
How can I help with Andor's Trail?
Guidelines for making maps for Andor's Trail.
A tutorial on how to make maps for Andor's Trail.
How the map editor works
Guidelines for contributing code to Andor's Trail
Description of the relationship between the issue tracker and the forums.
Description of how to translate the game into other languages
A tutorial on how to set up subversion for Andor's Trail.
Description of the combat system
Description of how experience and leveling up works.
Description of how to flee a fight in Andor's Trail.
Description of how equipment and items are handled
License of Andor's Trail
Further, there is the list at Andor's Trail Project Meeting #10 that discusses meeting notes and changes that are being done to the game for the next release...different from what is in the current version.

Finally, there is ALL the suggestions on the forum for which there is very little info on which ideas are being brought from the forum to be implemented into the game at some point...unless it is hidden in one of the other update threads. Pyro is working on updating his thread which will show which ideas have been approved and rejected so far, which greatly helps.

Digesting all of what I just listed makes things very complicated. I understand that the Design Outline for the game is supposed to be very broad and basic for people to follow along with, but in order to keep track of all the changes that have been done to the game, and the changes being decided to implement in future versions, a more detailed document should be developed that goes in depth and covers an extensive list of all areas of the game that are going to be in the game. This would make it extremely easier for a new person coming to the forum to better understand aspects of the game and help out with what is needed to be done. Even if the Wiki pages contained all of the necessary information it would make things go a lot easier.

Currently there are unfinished quests, 16 additional skills to be added(-pyro), items being added or changed for the next release, additional quests being added, additional areas being added...I can keep going but the list is huge...Something needs to convey a more organized approach for everything in the game, be updated when anything is added/changed for the releases.

For example, game mechanics that are missing from any description whatsoever should cover stuff like:
Paperdolling - if the graphics were available would it be implemented
Moving/turning Sprites - if the graphics were available would it be implemented

This will allow people to see that the development of the game wants these things, now they can see what they can do to help with these areas. People might have no clue on how to program in the necessary stuff in order for these things to properly work, yet they might be able to create the necessary files for the programmers to use like a sprite sheet.

Of course, these are just my opinions. The game itself seems to have developed fairly well on it's own without a more structured form of organization. My thread about Formalizing Idea Submissions was a very brief attempt in order to bring what I see as helpful methods for gaining a better flow to the current way things are done...this thread is an attempt to centralize & expand the entire design document for the purposes of better clarity of where it stands, what is needed, and what types of people are needed to do it. The game development strives on ideas from users on the forums and unpaid volunteers that are knowledgeable enough to implement/create the needed additional content for the game. Organizing and seeing more efficient methods of doing things is what I am good at...I just offer suggestions though from a very different perspective than most people, which is why I am often difficult to follow along with if I am not very detailed about my explanation.
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

personally, I have a desire to implement a more structured submission process. It's just a matter of having the time to do it & also "other things" being done for the game taking higher priority. I thought I would have something going by now, (I brought it up over two months ago) but I just have too much going on.

:shock:

thanks for taking an organizational position here and making a great post.

:D

I've been absent for a few days here, possibly the longest ever?

:lol:

I have quite a bit of catching up to do with the team & things like this just keep slipping down the list.

But it is definitely a concern of mine, if no one else's. We may take this to private messages or grant you access to our Dev Thread so we can start something official there.

I usually get on things like this within a day or so, but life threw a curveball (or twelve)

:twisted:

maybe you can help Pyro & I get things moving... because objects at rest want to stay at rest - inertia & stuff.

:lol:

nice to see everyone kept posting...
you finally got me three pages back!

:evil:
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

Thanks for that post Taledus it really is a good explanation of what you would like to see. I can now say I understand. :D

I think I will take a few of your ideas and mix them with some things we have been working on for v2 of the wiki pages. Moving things from the private Google Docs to a more public but better version controlled wiki should help get these types of things done faster and allow for more contributions to the overall documentation.
Taledus

Post by Taledus »

Andor.doc
The Word document I have put together for the Wiki. It still needs some stuff added to it, but my suggestions for it so far. I have copied nearly everything from the forums and GoogleDoc's. Some stuff was slightly edited for spelling/grammar.
Pyrizzle
VIP

Post by Pyrizzle »

Taledus wrote:
Andor.doc
The Word document I have put together for the Wiki. It still needs some stuff added to it, but my suggestions for it so far. I have copied nearly everything from the forums and GoogleDoc's. Some stuff was slightly edited for spelling/grammar.
Wow that is great work! Very nicely organized. :mrgreen:

Taledus

Post by Taledus »

Thanks! :D

Whether or not any part of my idea is used, it is just good to know it has been understood :lol:

I was going to just post this in a spoiler through the PM's, but since it has images that I got from a few of the threads it would have been a lot of senseless editing... I just wanted to add something I though was useful for the Wiki pages.
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

Taledus wrote:
Andor.doc
+1 great job, please keep on thinking and posting
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
nether
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Post by nether »

Really nice work Taledus. I love the initiative.
Pyrizzle
VIP

Post by Pyrizzle »

Taledus wrote:Thanks! :D

Whether or not any part of my idea is used, it is just good to know it has been understood :lol:

I was going to just post this in a spoiler through the PM's, but since it has images that I got from a few of the threads it would have been a lot of senseless editing... I just wanted to add something I though was useful for the Wiki pages.
If you need help making it "forum friendly" just let me know, I've gotten very familiar with this format over the past year. :)