v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

How to do a logcat

Discussions of the development process of the game.
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

How to do a logcat

Post by sdevaney »

The steps are a little different if you are not on Windows, but since most people are I will go ahead and write a quick tutorial for Windows and if you are on a different OS let me know and I will point out where you do things differently or use different tools.

As I said in my previous post it isn't hard and there are actually a lot of tutorials available just google 'how to create logcat on android'.

Step 1. Download the Android SDK from here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html and install it. *Remember the path you install it to, you will need it later.*

Step 2. Download the latest Java JDK from here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... index.html and install it.

Step 3. Download the Logcat-Tool from here: https://code.google.com/p/logcat-tool/

Step 4. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your device and plug it in to your computer via a USB cable.

Step 5. Run the Logcat-Tool downloaded above.*You may need to run as administrator in Windows.* This is where you need to remember the path you installed the SDK to. We actually need a part of the SDK called ADB that allows the computer and phone to talk to each other.

Step 6. Put the correct path into the Logcat-Tool. Make sure to include the \platform-tools at the end of your path.

Step 7. Start the log file (option 6 in the Logcat-Tool).

Step 8. Start Andors Trail on your phone and have the glitch occur.

Step 9. Follow the directions in the Logcat-Tool to save the log and unplug your phone.

Step 10. Send us the log file and we are hopefully one step closer to fixing a bug!

Let me know if anything needs more clarification.
sdevaney
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Re: How to do a logcat

Post by nyktos »

thank you Scott, just for taking the time to post this...
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

Sorry :cry: I cannot help on this one for a while... Why there a not a child resistant laptops ? ... platefull of bolognese sauce on the keyboard.... I do not know whether to laugh or cry :?

I know that the electrical equipment operating in the blue smoke.... is there any way to put it back into laptop ?
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Great post!

Will have to work on downloading and setting this up when i get home (been suuuuper busy latley)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kasper
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by Kasper »

Hi.
I'm not sure, but to me it seems much easier to install osmonitor and export the logcat file with the export funktion. There is also the ability to export the dmesg log.

The Problem is: I don't see any andor relevant entrys. Is there a special version for debugging, wich writes messages to the log? Or is the logcat from osmonitor somehow different to the logcat generated the external way...?
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

Kasper wrote:Hi.
I'm not sure, but to me it seems much easier to install osmonitor and export the logcat file with the export funktion. There is also the ability to export the dmesg log.

The Problem is: I don't see any andor relevant entrys. Is there a special version for debugging, wich writes messages to the log? Or is the logcat from osmonitor somehow different to the logcat generated the external way...?
I have never used OS Monitor so I don't know what type of logging it does. I am testing a couple of logging tools suggested in another thread so I will add it to my test list. What is "easier" is a relevant term. For me personally I already had the JDK and Android SDK installed so downloading the Logcat-tool and using it was just as easy as looking for and downloading a logging tool on my device.

There is a debugging option in the code that you can switch on but you would need to compile your own apk.
Kasper
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by Kasper »

I don't got the sdk. Can you upload such an apk for me?
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

IMO debugging should be far easier in the future...

There should be an enable log file setting. Everything else is a bloody workaround.
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
ctnbeh13
VIP
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by ctnbeh13 »

Of the handful of Android app developers that I have had the opportunity and pleasure of working with, and done some troubleshooting/bug hunting for, including some reps from the Android Development Team, CatLog has been the app of choice that is more recommended than any other that has been brought to my attention. If you just want to download and install a full featured app that is pretty well designed in terms of options, as well as meeting the needs for which it was designed, I personally can't recommend anything better.

If you'd like to download it, and/or check it out, you can find it at the Google Play Store here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... son.logcat

Nolan (the developer) is a great guy, and a very dedicated individual who seems to feel a sense of accountability to his users. People such as he and Oskar, are seemingly rare in this industry.

ATTENTION:
Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) users: The apps can no longer read each other’s logs using the READ_LOGS permission. Unfortunately, this means you will have to already have rooted your device in order to use this app. Whether this applies to the method that sdevaney has outlined or not, I cannot say, as I don't happen to be using Jelly Bean, nor have I implemented the steps described in the original post for this topic.
One of even fewer...