v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Translation to Brazilian Portuguese

Discussions of the development process of the game.
mchehab
android_version: 4.0

Translation to Brazilian Portuguese

Post by mchehab »

I finished a pt-BR translation of Andor's Trail, based on this -git changeset (version 0.6.12alpha):
commit c17b63a9a4bed642f373d717bfb695ff8f72b06e
Author: Oskar Wiksten <oskar.wiksten@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jul 10 19:32:09 2012 +0200
Updated content editor version number
A new issue (321) was added with this translation:
http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/i ... rt=&id=321

I also created a temporary git tree with those translations, as it might help reviewing it.
It is at:
http://git.infradead.org/users/mchehab/andors-trail.git

Basically, I took the pt-pt translation files, updated them to the
latest version (they seem to be written for 0.6.10 version), and
fixed the language differences.

Then, I translated the remaining files, manually, except for the
quest list and conversation list. On those, in order to speedup the
translation, I first used the Google Translator. Then, I manually
reviewed each of the translation.

I'm sure that there are several of things that can be improved,
especially at the conversations and quest list, as those translator
tools aren't really capable of using the right verbal tenses, do
a very poor job with male/female denotation, and provide too
literal translations on idiomatic expressions. Also, the same expression
are sometimes translated different there, not sure why.

I corrected those issues, but I'm pretty sure that there are many
space for improvements.

Please review.
Mauro
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: Translation to Brazilian Portuguese

Post by Pyrizzle »

mchehab wrote:I finished a pt-BR translation of Andor's Trail, based on this -git changeset (version 0.6.12alpha):
commit c17b63a9a4bed642f373d717bfb695ff8f72b06e
Author: Oskar Wiksten <oskar.wiksten@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jul 10 19:32:09 2012 +0200
Updated content editor version number
A new issue (321) was added with this translation:
http://code.google.com/p/andors-trail/i ... rt=&id=321

I also created a temporary git tree with those translations, as it might help reviewing it.
It is at:
http://git.infradead.org/users/mchehab/andors-trail.git

Basically, I took the pt-pt translation files, updated them to the
latest version (they seem to be written for 0.6.10 version), and
fixed the language differences.

Then, I translated the remaining files, manually, except for the
quest list and conversation list. On those, in order to speedup the
translation, I first used the Google Translator. Then, I manually
reviewed each of the translation.

I'm sure that there are several of things that can be improved,
especially at the conversations and quest list, as those translator
tools aren't really capable of using the right verbal tenses, do
a very poor job with male/female denotation, and provide too
literal translations on idiomatic expressions. Also, the same expression
are sometimes translated different there, not sure why.

I corrected those issues, but I'm pretty sure that there are many
space for improvements.

Please review.
Mauro
Excellent work! Thank you very much for your contribution! :mrgreen:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by oskarwiksten »

Looks good. Major thanks, mchehab!
Merged now, and available in v0.6.12b2.
/Oskar
RodrigoBorgesFreitas

Post by RodrigoBorgesFreitas »

Hello everyone! my name is Rodrigo and I was lazily browsing the web when I noticed the author of one of the most frequently used tools on my job, PDFSaM, released the translation files for the upcoming new version. Being free, I thought I could at least give back by translating the 150 or so strings of this new version to my native language.

Why I'm posting this here? because being done with PDFSaM, I looked for something else I could try translating and happened to see Andor's Trail on launchpad's main page cloud. This was on saturday, I had never had about Andor's Trail before but now I have translated more than 700 unstranslated strings and reviewed or rewritten a few hundred others. It's been fun to research about creatures and medieval fantasy stuff.

I don't know if, alone, I can review all the brazillian-portuguese translation (it really needs to be reviewed, quite a few inconsistencies or just bad grammar) but I'm sure I can finish all the untranslated strings in a few months (It would be a couple of weeks if wasn't for my job and university) and then I will have to do a couple of playthroughs to correct whatever I might have missed.

By the way, is there any way I can test the translation as I do it? most of what I have done was blind, without playing the game, now I'm using Bluestack to paly while I use Poedit on another screen.

-----

Now a couple questions:

Why some of the text is so dry? I mean, on the first city, the player char (how old is the boy/child) talk with his father like he is a stranger and I don't find it natural that a father wouldn't care about a son missing for a night or even let the younger one to look for the other. The NPC's also treat the boy like he doesn't even live there.

And what's the view of the admins/devs about the translation not being too literal, like the "Potion-maker" that could be translated in portuguese to "Fabricante de poções" or "Produtor de poções" and being changed to "Alquimista" (in english: alchemist)?

What king of money is used on this world? there are some variations like xxx Gold, xxx pieces of Gold, xxx Gold coins.

----
Sorry for my english, I have no problems to understand teh menaing of what I read but as I don't write much or speak at all, it's kinda bad when I decide to write something.

EDIT: Ignore my translations pending review on Launchpad, it's faster and better to translate the PO file directly. BTW any suggestion for PO editors? Poedit tags the modified strings with little stars but only untill you restart the software :| I was using the stars to track the strings I had translated and/or reviewed.
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Hola Rodrigo, and welcome to the forums. Thanks for offering your help in translating AT to br_PT ! It's even more impressive that you decided to get to it while never having heard of the game !

As you said it yourself, it would be best to first play through at least part of the game, in order to get a better feel of the tone of the game. Seeing your excellent english, I have no doubts you'll make a fine job understanding the original meaning an dfinding an appropriate translation. I'll try to answer your questions:

- Indeed it sounds a little weird, but who knows what happened before the game starts ? Maybe he was living with his mother someplace else and just came back a week ago....
- I'd say stick with a rather literal translation, for two reasons: players using the translated game could still find help here; your chosen word could be used in future content introducing confusion (what if we have an alchemy-related quest later ?).
- SO far, I think the money is always in the "xxx Gold" format.
- It would be best if you could use launchpad, unless there is a way for you to re-upload your PO files to launchpad once edited. It really helps for collaborative edition (who knows where you'll be in 5 years ?), and is the centralized place we use as a source for translation when building the game.
- For testing, if you feel comfortable with computers (which I guess you do since you use poedit :p ), try reading the contribution guide to setup your own build environment. Normally, everything in it is explained, from what you need to download to testing the game with your updated translation. Not being a translator myself, if you follow the guide, I'd love to have your feedback on the translation part. Otherwise, I can build you an APK containing your custom ".po" & "strings.xml" files, but it's a longer roundtrip than making it yourself.

Hope it helps, and welcome on board !
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
RodrigoBorgesFreitas

Post by RodrigoBorgesFreitas »

Today I downloaded Andor's Trail and was amazed, it's another experience, the game plays smooth on my phone (and old Motorola Defy) while it's really laggy with bluestacks.

-Sorry for the gold thing probably was some mistake on the current PT-BR translation.
-You're right about the alchemist thing, I'm gonna change to something that fits the original.
-Launchpad would be ideal if you're on a team and the changes are pre-planed, but for translating text heavy games it doesn't introduces a lot of headache. e.g. A quest asks you to deliver 10 rapiers; I could translate to 10 Espadim while someone else translate the item itself to Rapieira.
-Launchpad seems to have an option to import the PO file, after I finish the untranslated lines, I'm going to upload a temporary unreviewed translation.
-I will take a look at the contribution guide and try to setup the environment, you can expect my feedback.
fifa1988
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Post by fifa1988 »

I finished the translate pt-br now is 100%.

Now i'll try help with development of game.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Wow, that was quick :shock: . Great job :D . Thanks.

What were you thinking of in terms of game development?
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Impressive indeed! Thanks for your work.

Don't hesitate to ask for help or guidance in your future endeavors!
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Odin
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Odin »

Fantastic... Great to see that so many people want to see this game evolve.
Odin
Lvl:63
RoLS: 2 ElyR: 1 GoLF: 1

Ivar
Lvl:26