First Impressions

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Ullen
android_version: 4.0

First Impressions

Post by Ullen »

Hi, newbie here.

I downloaded the game about a week ago and played it on and off. My first impression is it is too hard. By that I mean the power of my character is too weak compared to monsters.

My character is level 5 and his biggest accomplishment so far is defeating a strong rat and reclaiming a cave. The thing is he wanders out to the wilderness, kill a couple of wasps, and gets damaged enough to run back home and sleep. He has a tough time with foxes and gets killed by wolves.

The consequence of this is I spend most of the time trying to keep my character alive instead of completing quests. My character still needs to find a poison gland, let alone a house with bones. The game becomes highly repetitive, therefore boring.

I am not sure if it's me (I did spend several hundred gold pieces on equipment, that's how my character got to beat a tough rat) or the game is not geared towards players like me.
Necrite
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Re: First Impressions

Post by Necrite »

What did you spend your level ups and Skill Point on? Also, what equipment did you buy? Depending on your answers to these questions, the early parts of the game can be extremely difficult, or trivially easy.

A couple suggestions, should you decide to start over:
-Go step on the basket behind Mikhail in the starting house. You'll get 12 extra gold.
-Talk to Gruil (the guy in the blue robe in the tavern) and sell Mikhail's ring for 108 gold, buy a Crude Combat Ring for 50, go sleep in the bed on the other side of the room to reset the store, go back to Gruil and buy another Crude Combat Ring. Equipping both CCRs gives the same AC, plus an extra 0-2 Damage. With the club, you now do 1-4 damage, and often kill a 5hp enemy in one round.
-Put a couple of level ups into Attack Chance. Some tough enemies can be rendered harmless by killing them before they act. Adding a point or two of Damage on level up can help too.
-Don't buy any weapons with an AP cost over 5. Until you've got the Skills or equiment to help you out, slow weapons aren't worth it.
-At level 4,don't spend your skill point. Save it, and at level 5 take Increased Fortitude. After you've got the hang of the game, other skills might be better first picks, but for many builds, it's a huge boon.
-Find anything that drops meat (Small Rabid Dogs and Snakes are best), and kill as many as you can before needing to rest. Don't use the meat unless you absolutely have to; sell it instead. Once you've got a bit of money banked, check out Fallhaven (one screen east, two south, one east from Crossglen, it's an easy run) for some much better equipment.
Lvl: 25, XP: 274711, Gold: 13236, RoLS: 1, SR 97,
HP: 61, AC: 175%, AD: 20-31, ECC: 15%, CM: 2.0, BC: 55%, DR: 3
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by fiernaq »

This thread probably covers most of your questions and provides a lot of useful tips.
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

Good advice already listed, but to be honest, its an RPG, so there will be some grinding involved, there's really no way around that. So if you don't like having to keep killing things to get XP and gold (or items to sell for gold) then its possible this really isn't your type of game.

There's a couple things you can do to get through the game sooner though (a few people on these boards have gone through previous versions of the game at level 1, and there's a guy who's kept his character at level 5 even in the current version).

1) To reduce how much grinding you need, you could consider one of these 2 skills:
Quick Learner - you will level up a little faster, and use the level ups to increase your AC or AD
Treasure Hunter - you'll get more of the potential gold from each kill to buy stuff sooner. There are equipment that can give a good boost to your stats.

But I would agree on using your first skill point at level 5 on Increased Fortitude so you'll get automatic HP boosts at each subsequent level up.

2) Use flee. You can try a hit and run tactic (your move cost is how much AP you need to flee) so you don't have to go back to a bed as often. There's also the save and reload (save before each confrontation, and if you die, reload and try again).

3) For now, stick to the ants, small rats, the little green snakes, and small rabid dogs. The snakes and dogs can often drop meat, which sells for 12 gold. They also restore HP, so maybe also hold onto a few. Once you're strong enough, try to kill the boar that's surrounded by the small rabid dogs, eventually he'll drop a pair of leather boots, which will increase your BC.

Good luck if you decide to stay with it. RPGs aren't for everyone, but this is probably the best one on Android (imo of course).
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Spirestone
android_version: 4.0

Post by Spirestone »

In my opinion, I wouldn't use the skill points on Treasure Hunter, as there is no benefit to having it after you get your items. First point should be saved for Increased Fortitude at level 5, as that will make your life much easier in the mid/long run. Focus on getting your AC to 100% and getting two rings of damage. That will make the beginning so so much easier.
Level: 81, XP: 9625327, Gold: 1179469
HP: 276, AC: 283%, AD: 46-62, AP: 4, ECC: -, CM: -, BC: 211%, DR: 3
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 0, RoL: 1, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

just a side note: there will be a few huge price-tags in the next update...
say around five & ten thousand gold pieces!

:twisted:

so let those coin pouches grow!!!
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Avalon archer
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Avalon archer »

Over 9000??!!
THE SAD TRUTH IS, THE TRUTH IS SAD, AVALON ARCHER, THE ONCOMING STORM
"VALUGHA, SAVE US ALL"
LVL 76 HP:102, AC:357%, AD:60-70, BC:20%, AP;4/12
RoLS:2, ELyR:1, RoL:1, CHAR:1, SHAF:2, VSH:3, SRoV:2, GoLF:2
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by fiernaq »

Avalon archer wrote:Over 9000??!!
LOL +1
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Ian
android_version: 4.2

Post by Ian »

nyktos wrote: just a side note: there will be a few huge price-tags in the next update...
say around five & ten thousand gold pieces!

:twisted:

so let those coin pouches grow!!!

That will make the game a lot easier for newbies! :D And I'll become very rich; well at least in AT. ;)
Mapmaker for Andor's Trail
Lvl: 73, XP: 6655552, Gold: 327905, RoLS: -, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 2, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 58, AC: 260%, AD: 52-62, AP: 3, ECC: -, CM: -, BC: 164%, DR: 1
silinda
android_version: 3.0

Post by silinda »

over 10k?! Fantastic!!

I can now spend my hard earned gold on something other then bonemeal potions...cause really, grinding with MF in the garg cave still haven't given me a ring but has given me about 60k so far, even without selling the potions and gems.