v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

AP Rollover

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Fire7051
android_version: 3.0

Re: AP Rollover

Post by Fire7051 »

Mad P wrote:carrying over the resulting AP from the previous round ONLY, resulting in:
My original idea would be to carry it over until you used it.

So for the first round only 2 would carry over then 2 more would roll over and so on and so on until you drained out your AP. This would eventually give you either another attack in a round or it would allow you the use of an extra potion.

The main reasoning behind it is that you have already earned that AP, you just can't use it because of the limitation of the system. I felt that I was limited to weapon choices that used all of the AP in a round so that I would not waste a single point. I was initially wondering if anyone else felt the same, and if it would not be too overpowered to add in the rollover portion.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Fire7051 wrote:
Mad P wrote:carrying over the resulting AP from the previous round ONLY, resulting in:
My original idea would be to carry it over until you used it.

So for the first round only 2 would carry over then 2 more would roll over and so on and so on until you drained out your AP. This would eventually give you either another attack in a round or it would allow you the use of an extra potion.

The main reasoning behind it is that you have already earned that AP, you just can't use it because of the limitation of the system. I felt that I was limited to weapon choices that used all of the AP in a round so that I would not waste a single point. I was initially wondering if anyone else felt the same, and if it would not be too overpowered to add in the rollover portion.
that would be too overpowered. In combination with Cleave that would result in the ability to gain mass amounts of Ap in a short amount of time.

" If you don't use it you loose it. "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fire7051

Post by Fire7051 »

Pyrizzle wrote:In combination with Cleave that would result in the ability to gain mass amounts of Ap in a short amount of time.

" If you don't use it you loose it. "
Let's not forgot that Cleave is not useful in every situation and with some of the heavier weapons that take 10 AP this skill would help but would not be overpowered. For the lighter stuff like the QSD or DotSP then it would probably by slightly overpowered.

Again I am just thinking out loud on this one just to see how the chips would fall.

If you earned it you should be allowed to keep it. ;)
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Wyrmspawn

Post by Wyrmspawn »

I might agree to this from a player's perspective. However, from a more logical view... That's another story.

Let's say you have ten ap. Then let's say you have a four ap cost weapon. You can get in two swings per turn. The two extra ap points give you half a swing. From what Fire7051says, we should be able to swing thrice next turn. If you look at the numbers it would be so. But if you look at the situation without numbers, you get something else entirely.

U swing twice at the monster. As I swing my third time, almost connecting, the monster retaliates. I sidestep, spoiling the hit, or continue the swing only to get hit before my blow connects. As the monster aims another blow, I struggle to recover into a position more suitable for attacking, dodging, blocking, and weaving through the blows. Eventually, I retaliate, leaping back into an attacking position, and spoiling the monster's hit. The monster is pressed back into a defensive, and the assault goes on.

From the above situation, it is clear why ap from previous rounds should not carry into the next. The ap would be used to block and defend, and moving back into the position of the aggressor. Which is why, from a logical standpoint, Fire's argument does not stand.
Hey guys, I'm back.
Fire7051

Post by Fire7051 »

Wyrmspawn wrote: From the above situation, it is clear why ap from previous rounds should not carry into the next. The ap would be used to block and defend, and moving back into the position of the aggressor. Which is why, from a logical standpoint, Fire's argument does not stand.
The only problem with that logic is that someone that uses all their AP in a round would not be able to block at all in the monster's round. This would mean that if you were to use all of your AP such as with 12AP and a weapon that costs 4 AP then during the monster's turn all attacks should be a hit, since the hero would be too tired to block, evade, or move.

Maybe the solution is not to rollover the AP but allow you to use that one or two AP for something... I am just having a problem coming up with what that something could be :lol:
Wyrmspawn

Post by Wyrmspawn »

Increasing bc with left over ap would be good.
Hey guys, I'm back.
Fire7051

Post by Fire7051 »

Maybe for one AP increase BC or AC (for the next round), two AP increase DR or ECC (again for the next round), and so on?
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

I still think the AP rollover thing could work as it was suggested, without being overpowered.

Since it was suggested only for 1v1 combat situations there would be no additional AP from Cleave. It would just have to be set so that it doesn't kick in when there's only one opponent left if you fight a mob.

The Quickstrike dagger would only be affected if you're at level 1 of combat speed. Otherwise, with JoF the AP cost is 2, so all AP would always get used up with none left over. And once a player has Combat Speed 2 (and JoF), it wouldn't really do anything if using anything with an attack cost of 3, 4 or 6 AP, as it would all get used. So that means weapons like the DotSP or BSS wouldn't be helped either. It would mostly affect use of medium or heavy weapons. The only one that might get too much of a boost is the ROL because any extra attack is a chance to restore HP, but that's a Legendary item so it shouldn't necessarily be taken into account.

The times it might be too much of an advantage are when you get hit with something that normally lowers AP like Fatigue or Rotworm. Or with items that add to Max AP like ElyR - but in this case it could just make the once standout weapon special again. The other one - Shadow of the Slayer is a boss drop so I don't see a problem with it getting a slight boost from this rollover effect.

And it would mostly help with Fire's initial intention of making the higher attack cost weapons more useful in comparison with the others.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Fire7051 wrote:
Let's not forgot that Cleave is not useful in every situation
You are preaching to the choir buddy. ;)

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

Xero
android_version: 2.2

Post by Xero »

Duke wrote:Tek, I think the question we should ask Fireman is "whatchu talkin bout Willis?"
Rofl!
+1