v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Translation in German

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Mayweed
VIP
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Re: Translation in German

Post by Mayweed »

While I played the Aulowenn & Tiqui quest some weeks ago I regarded the word "intelligible" as a variation of "intelligent" and so understood the phrase "[The creatures ... are] intelligible, but fierce" as "they are no dumb animals, they have wits, but are fierce" - what made totally sense for me. And so I translated it in this way lately ("verständig", "vernunftbegabt").

When reviewing the translation, Moerit remarked that it actually means "verständlich", "understandable", so the phrase would mean "they are able to articulate themselves in a way we can understand, but they are fierce" and we asked us if that really is the correct meaning. And what is the connection to "but fierce" here.

So, how did you understand this sentence, especially native english speakers?
Could you transcribe it in some "simple english" words, please? :oops:
Duke
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Duke »

I just did that quest....I read it as the creatures are smart (intelligible) and aggressive(fierce). So to me it means they are not just going to stand there and do nothing, but are willing to attack. does that help?
Lvl78 XP9403007 Gold 248643 AP3 HP139 AC350 AD42-59 BC97 DR1
SP:D MC3 BC CS2 QL4 IF MF EB DW2
Rols1Rol2Elyr1Char1Golf1Shaf0Srov1Vsh1
Ozzy
lvl:47 HP114 AC254 AD27-37 BC112
SP:WA HH CS(2) CL CE IF(2) Reg
Rols1Rol0ElyR0Char2Shaf1Golf1Srov1Vsh1
Mayweed
VIP

Post by Mayweed »

Well, that would somehow back my first interpretation. What do you think, Moerit?

Another question:
The Foaming Flask tavern is constantly translated as "Taverne 'Schäumende Flasche'" in the german translation.
But on the world map the english name is displayed and I couldn't find "Foaming Flask tavern" as a single phrase on launchpad.
Are the names on the map plain untranslatable texts?
Moerit
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Moerit »

I dont know what to say :oops:

I would be satisfied if we use "intelligible" as "smart". But i hope the author will read this topic and may post some clear words. Maybe the use of words is linked to some kind of joke.... actually i dont know exactly cause its been a while since i played the quest ^^

i assume, that the worldmapnames are located at a file which is not attached in launchpad...
Last edited by Moerit on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lvl: 16, XP: 47538, Gold: 474, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
HP: 151, AC: 248%, AD: 29-40, AP: 4, ECC: 22%, CM: -, BC: 160%, DR: 5
Duke
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Duke »

Yes, 'smart' would make sense to me.
Lvl78 XP9403007 Gold 248643 AP3 HP139 AC350 AD42-59 BC97 DR1
SP:D MC3 BC CS2 QL4 IF MF EB DW2
Rols1Rol2Elyr1Char1Golf1Shaf0Srov1Vsh1
Ozzy
lvl:47 HP114 AC254 AD27-37 BC112
SP:WA HH CS(2) CL CE IF(2) Reg
Rols1Rol0ElyR0Char2Shaf1Golf1Srov1Vsh1
Mayweed
VIP

Post by Mayweed »

Moerit wrote:i assume, that the worldmapnames are located at a file which is not attached in launchpad...
Ok, I found them now ...

The worldmap area names are fixed english texts in the resource file worldmap.xml.
Is there a way to make them variable? If not, I assume it would be better to go back
to the original location names (in the german translation only F.F.Tavern is affected -
what about other languages?)
RodrigoBorgesFreitas
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by RodrigoBorgesFreitas »

Mayweed wrote:While I played the Aulowenn & Tiqui quest some weeks ago I regarded the word "intelligible" as a variation of "intelligent" and so understood the phrase "[The creatures ... are] intelligible, but fierce" as "they are no dumb animals, they have wits, but are fierce" - what made totally sense for me. And so I translated it in this way lately ("verständig", "vernunftbegabt").

When reviewing the translation, Moerit remarked that it actually means "verständlich", "understandable", so the phrase would mean "they are able to articulate themselves in a way we can understand, but they are fierce" and we asked us if that really is the correct meaning. And what is the connection to "but fierce" here.

So, how did you understand this sentence, especially native english speakers?
Could you transcribe it in some "simple english" words, please? :oops:
While doing the portuguese-br translation I also had problems with this line (later I will check what was my decision) but the thing that bothered me the most was the fact that intelligible/smart and aggressive are not mutually exclusive. Maybe the best compromisse would be to translate it as the equivalent of: They are capable of communicate effectively (capable of speaking) but are agreessive, this would mean that even though they can speak, if our hero tried to comunicate with them, he could be attacked.
Mayweed
VIP

Post by Mayweed »

The Elm mine near Prim - is it just a name, or does "Elm" has a meaning (another than the so named tree)?
If the name derives from the tree (because a lot of elms grow nearby) I would translate it as "Ulmenmine".
If it's just a name, I wouldn't translate it ==> Elm-Mine.

What do you think in common?
How did you other translators choose?
What did you (the author of the quest) mean by the name?
DanielS
VIP
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by DanielS »

In polish translation, I have translated "elm" to the polish name of this tree. (Elm mine = Wiązowa kopalnia)
Mayweed
VIP

Post by Mayweed »

Thanks. I think, I'll do the same, then.