RPGs we play

A place to discuss anything not related to the game.
Xero
android_version: 2.2

RPGs we play

Post by Xero »

Meirerion wrote:I don't like this idea much as I'm more of a hardcore RPGer

Rpg s I have played or beat and remember:
Gameboy:
Pokemon red
Pokemon yellow
Pokemon blue
Final fantasy (secret of mana 1)

nes:
Final fantasy(different than the gameboy version)
Dragon warrior
Crystalis
deadly tower
Zelda
adventures of link
Kid icarus
rygar
Mount olympus (can't remember if that's it or not)
Might and magic 1
Astynax

Gameboy advance:
Fire emblem
fire emblem sacred stones
Final fantasy 5 advance
Pokemon leaf
Pokemon fire
Pokemon sapphire
Yugioh (several although only some had adventure mode)

Snes:
7th saga
Final fantasy 4
Final fantasy 5
Final fantasy 6
Secret of mana (som 2)
Seiken densetsu 3
Chronotrigger
Live a live
Romancing saga 3
Earthbound
Tecmo secret of the stars
Ff mystic quest
Dragon ball z legend of the super saiyen
Mario rpg
Breath of fire (didn't complete)
breath of fire 2
Lord of the rings (incomplete)
Lufia 2
Tenchi muyo
Tales of phantasia

Nintendo ds:
Final fantasy 4 advance
Fire emblem shadow dragon
Chronotrigger
From the abyss
Dungeon explorer
Disgaea

Playstation:
final fantasy 7
Saga frontier
final fantasy tactics (incomplete)
breath of fire 3

gamecube:
Fire emblem path of radiance
final fantasy crystal chronicles
tales of symphonia
yugioh can't remember title

Playstation 2:
Several dbz games that only had some rpg elements
Baldurs gate
Baldurs date 2
Champions of norrath
champions of norrath return to arms
Monster rancher evo
Star ocean till the end of time
naruto (some had rpg elements)

Playstation 3:
Skyrim
Dark souls
Dragon age

I have also played many online games
World of warcraft
Diablo
Diablo 2
Phantasy rpg
Several MUDs

I get together twice a month and play rifts with a group at a card shop nearby
Rifts allows for character conversions

I'm not entirely sure what constitutes "hardcore" rpg gamer in your opinion but I think I have enough experience to offer an educated opinion on what was fun, popular, exciting, or holds attention the longest.

On a side note, I think it's interesting to note many of the muds I came across while looking for the right one offered "remort". I'm sure you can guess what that means.
Chronotrigger offers new game+ no increased difficulty.
tales of symphonia allows new game+
Of all the console games I played the most, chronotrigger, tales of symphonia, disgaea, romancing saga, saga frontier...
All of these had tremendous replay value and consequently I spent a ton of time playing them. Much more than a game with a great storyline. After completing final fantasy 7, breath of fire 2, secret of mana (all of these have great stories) I completed them a few more times afterwards.
I spent much more time playing the games with replay value.
I think any "hardcore" rpg gamer would agree they have spent more time playing the games with more replay.
After all, what's so fun about losing your progress and restarting with nothing?
Meirerion
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: New Game+ ???

Post by Meirerion »

That's an impressive list you wrote here and I know I would never be able to challenge you in this field. Still my knowledge about RPG is at it's roots: Dungeon&Dragon. I spent hours playing with friends this old game.

What is a hardcore RPGer is a point view but let me correct the "hardcore" term by "oldschool".
I prefer Dungeon&Dragon ("rpg on paper") to Skyrim and so (even though I spent 15h on it this week :p).
In D&Dr you cannot change your decisions once you've made them and as every RPG takes his roots in D&D I think we should aim to keep it in this spirit. Developers forgot that and today spend more times creating great graphics. Let's not make the same mistake.
My love for Andor's Trail comes from the fact that this is the last hope for me to help creating a real D&D. The last one I played was Baldur's Gate. Since then Black Isle went on creating NWN which is no more an aD&D in my opinion.
It's subjective and I assume it.
offered "remort". I'm sure you can guess what that means.
My mother tongue is French and it means "remorse". I don't know if this what you meant, if yes I don't get it :lol:.
~May Elythara's wisdom light your path
Fire7051
android_version: 3.0

Post by Fire7051 »

Most of the games that you have listed are not considered "Hardcore" Rpgs. The King's field series on Playstation would be a good set to check out. Basically the difference between the RPG's (most of them) that you have listed is that most of them are story driven RPG's. I love a lot of the ones that you have listed but none of them are like Rogue or many of the old RPG's some of them older than the NES that AT was based on. I don't think it was meant as an insult just a different type of RPG. Even in the RPG's you have listed there are different types.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

Meirerion wrote:That's an impressive list you wrote here and I know I would never be able to challenge you in this field. Still my knowledge about RPG is at it's roots: Dungeon&Dragon. I spent hours playing with friends this old game.

What is a hardcore RPGer is a point view but let me correct the "hardcore" term by "oldschool".
I prefer Dungeon&Dragon ("rpg on paper") to Skyrim and so (even though I spent 15h on it this week :p).
In D&Dr you cannot change your decisions once you've made them and as every RPG takes his roots in D&D I think we should aim to keep it in this spirit. Developers forgot that and today spend more times creating great graphics. Let's not make the same mistake.
My love for Andor's Trail comes from the fact that this is the last hope for me to help creating a real D&D. The last one I played was Baldur's Gate. Since then Black Isle went on creating NWN which is no more an aD&D in my opinion.
It's subjective and I assume it.
offered "remort". I'm sure you can guess what that means.
My mother tongue is French and it means "remorse". I don't know if this what you meant, if yes I don't get it :lol:.
I also prefer D&D (...yes, paper and dices...) and after i start playing it i soon found Ultima 1 for c64 :-)

Im curious are the Skyrim worth of buying ? Nowadays i have not much of time (: so i do not buy new games often.
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
Xero
android_version: 2.2

Post by Xero »

Rifts is a paper, dice, pencil game with a gm.

Remort is something muds were doing where a character that reached max level. They begin again at lvl 1 and sometimes take another job while retaining same race. They retain their previous inventory and skill/spell list

Games I listed which most resemble AT:
diablo2
Baldurs gate
Champions of norrath
Saga frontier
Romancing saga

Also, I forgot to mention ultima online.. I don't know how I managed to forget that one. I played that for like 5 years straight.
There are many games that try to recapture that old school rogue feel
Baldurs gate was one of those.
Also, AT is not so similar to those games. The dungeons are not random, weapon stats aren't random, and there is no race/class selection. AT is more like the modern rpg games. Most of the games that are using d&d type systems for computers and consoles are hidden in computer coding and you wouldn't know from just looking.
I wouldn't classify AT in those old school rogue rpgs.
The developers of this game have expressed interest in keeping this game a story based game.
Therefore, this game will never be like those old dungeon crawler rogue like.

Fire 7051: Btw, nice pic of the fire emblem intro. Defiantly one of the best stories of all time.
Suramar: skyrim is a great game. There are some bugs that can make you invincible if you chose to. if you don't abuse those bugs, the game is very fun. I don't cheat in any games I play and I prefer playing them hardest difficulty
Last edited by Xero on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meirerion

Post by Meirerion »

Sarumar wrote: I also prefer D&D (...yes, paper and dices...) and after i start playing it i soon found Ultima 1 for c64 :-)

Im curious are the Skyrim worth of buying ? Nowadays i have not much of time (: so i do not buy new games often.
Worth buying... It's a question of point of view, the graphics are astonishing, the gameplay is interesting but most of the quest are pointless (go take this (x) to (x) then OMG he's evil, kill (x)).
Worth cracking... Yes!
Yo ho ho...

One last warning, It's really time consuming (and you need a good cpu to appreciate it)
~May Elythara's wisdom light your path
Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

Thanks Meirerion and Xero !

Yes i am looking for next great rpg... time or cpu is not a problem and i play only in the hardest way :-)

Thank again guys, good hunting !
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
sdevaney
Site Admin
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by sdevaney »

Let's get back on the correct topic of this thread. If you want to talk about great RPG's do so in the Tavern.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Now this thread is showing scott has having been the last poster, yet it fails to show his comment.
Weird.
Last edited by Antison on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Thystonius

Post by Thystonius »

Supporting Xero with the idea of New Game+, my list of RPG's of many types comes close to his. Played two MUDs a lot, MUME and Nodeka. Also love the hybrids (Metroid series, Demon Souls, Dark Souls etc). AT is actually, besides the story lines, very flat compared to many RPGs: no races or classes, combat is only adjacent to enemies (no area spells or effects such as lava area where you need certain items before you can go there, Metroid series did this most excellent - no ranged combat like arrows or towers or traps), no stats on the character (str, con, wil, dex, etc), and so on. The difference between hard or easy is mostly based on levels, not much on strategy because the game design is very simple.

Simple is not bad, the point I want to make is that looking at other games the community finds amazing, the first response should be to take the essense of replayability and what this or that game made stand out from the other games into AT.

Talking about Baldur's Gate, Xero have you played PlanetScape: Torment? 80% story-driven game, you actually do not fight much (contrary to AT where completing the quests is maybe 20% of the game until level 20, then there is grinding). There is a mod available to upgrade the graphics.

One game I missed in the list is NetHack. It would be really interesting to take ideas from that Rogue RPG into AT.
Lvl 74|XP 7,280,442|€ 364,324|2013.08.27
HP 229|AC 238%|AD 46-55|AP 3|ECC 25%|CM 3.0|BC 140%|DR 10|SR
RoLS 2|ElyR 1|RoL 0|ChaR 0|GoLF 1|ShaF 1|SRoV 0|VSH 0|WMC 0|GoW 0
WA 1|HH 1|Clv 1|BS 5|CS 2|CE 1|IF 5|Reg 1|DPS 1|DP 1|SP 2|LAP 1