v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Beginning levels that need quests?

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.

What levels need more quests to avoid grinding?

1-5
5%
6-10
42%
11-15
20%
16-20
33%

Total votes: 141

Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: Beginning levels that need quests?

Post by Osho »

I do recall my rants as a new player, while at the same time, experience over time has helped me to understand things in a better perspective.

If I think from the position of a new player, then my issues were still about the grinding for gold, and not really about grinding for leveling up faster. Correct me, if my past discussions suggests otherwise.

My views haven't changed about the grinding even now, as an experienced player.

I even recall a few members having a similar view.

Still, if the developers feel it's worth putting the time and efforts on early levels, then I will wholeheartedly suppprt it.

But, the practical outcome of those little additional missions in early levels don't suggest to me that the situation of grinding is really getting eliminated or reduced significantly, but the issue becomes far more noticeable at levels 20 or 24 onwards IMO

EDIT
-------

Regarding a couple of questions asked by the OP.
We know that the starter area needs some new quests but we are unsure of the exact levels people normally complete the current quests but are too weak to get new ones and have to resort to grinding.
This is really difficult to point out. I'll share my views in 2 parts:

1. Strictly speaking in terms of adding more quests, be it simple errands or inter connected series of quests, then it is dependent on the CHOICE of areas that benefit from more lore, or interaction with the world. All the starting areas are good in number of quests, thus anyone can benefit. No area seems dull at this point.

My suggestion would be the surrounding parts outside the starting areas, like the nearby forests, the road house at the bottom, and other similar inhabited ones where no quests are currently tasked to NPCs here. That'd be a great addition!

2. Strictly in terms of grinding - I have a clear view that all areas are manageable, irrespective of the levels. Nothing us difficult that a player under L20, or even L15 can't handle with some strategy.

My suggestion is to increase the opportunities to earn gold by adding quests that are infinite type in nature. Like the NPC who deals in buying izthiel claws, the potion merchant, etc. These quests should be difficult to prevent exploit of getting more gold in early levels. Perhaps, L15+ or 20+ is a sweet spot to allow access to these quests.

BUT, please, don't be reluctant to provide a higher returns for each single run. 100 Gold each time I complete the NPC's demand seems nice!
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

We are probably done with early quests for now (mostly, anyway). What we need now is more intermediate quests, and quests that are harder than anything currently in the game. But we have limited time, so what we can do is limited.

IMO it's not good to make gold too easy to get in the early game. Money should always be something you have to work for.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Osho

Post by Osho »

Take all the time if the missions are challenging and complex to play. Game is fine as is. Even if it takes more time the current playthrough is good enough to keep players engaged, at least, speaking for myself. But, the time gone into small errand type missions is certainly a waste IMO.

Regarding Gold -- That's why I feel L20+ (for the thread - L16-20 option) is good if the players can access more gold.

What's exactly is the appropriate time?

If the game doesn't provide better opportunities (other than meat) where gold is rewarded handsomely (or higher than normal) then the player has only 1 option - to enter green naze, or Prim, or if it is confident- Charwood.

Where else can I go after L20 for gold?
This is my standard approach if I don't want to waste hours into grinding meat.
I straightaway head to Green Maze, die, reload, rinse and repeat, till I collect enough items to sell.

Is this a healthy sign of game's ability to offer choices to the player?

If we are seriously interested in eliminating grinding then the best thing to do is to allow players after crossing L20 to have access to high value items without the need to venture into difficult areas like Green Maze.

Or, is it possible to reduce the prices of the items in starting areas that are quite high compared to cumulative collection of gold from completing all the missions in the starting areas combined?
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

As I said, we need more intermediate level quests.

But creating quests is a lot of work, which is why some are just small errand quests. Given the work required and the limited resources we have, the choice is not between small errand quests or more elaborate quests. The choice is between small errand quests or no quests.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Osho

Post by Osho »

This is why I feel missions or map expansions could be prioritised lower than those aspects of the game which are perhaps manageable in shortest possible time

For example.

1. Tinkering with high gold rates for items in the starting areas
2. Improve drop chances for some high value items to provide slight relief from grinding
3. Pick a few enemies from existing bestiary and alter their spawning locations with a couple of new areas in addition to the existing ones.
4. Lastly, developers can publish and share in easy to understand format for players who wish to experiment with the game using HEX editors to change various stats for different results. This will certainly help to make the game more interesting to play.
RaptorNXT
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by RaptorNXT »

Osho wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:33 am This is why I feel missions or map expansions could be prioritised lower than those aspects of the game which are perhaps manageable in shortest possible time

For example.

1. Tinkering with high gold rates for items in the starting areas
2. Improve drop chances for some high value items to provide slight relief from grinding
3. Pick a few enemies from existing bestiary and alter their spawning locations with a couple of new areas in addition to the existing ones.
4. Lastly, developers can publish and share in easy to understand format for players who wish to experiment with the game using HEX editors to change various stats for different results. This will certainly help to make the game more interesting to play.
Respectfully disagree with this.
Map expansion and missions would garner more respect and eagerness among the family of players, both here and away.
RaptorNXT

Sentinel
L = 90
AC = 352
AD = 47-63
CHS = 31
CM = 2
ECC = 19%

BC = 143
DR = 11

Shadow Regeneration

WA L2, HH L2, BS L2, CS L2, CL L2, CE L2, IF, Reg, Evsn, OHSP L3, SP L2
Fighting style: W&S L2
Specialization: W&S L1
Osho

Post by Osho »

RaptorNXT wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:57 am Respectfully disagree with this.
Map expansion and missions would garner more respect and eagerness among the family of players, both here and away.
Absolutely 😁

This is indeed important. I was talking about some simple tinkering with the existing rates of gold, and other basics that perhaps might not take much time out of their busy schedule, which will continue at it's own pace.
Ermerson
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by Ermerson »

Ben eu sou um jogador lv 130 e tenho bastante experiência no jogo, entao eu acho que deveria ter um limite de level para poder entrar en tais areas para o jogo ficar mais divertido aos jogadores e deveria mostra o nivel dos mostros nas suas informaçoes :roll:

Transition:

Ben I am a lv 130 player and i have a lot of experience in the game so i think there should be a level limit to be able to enter such areas for the game to be more fun for the players and it should show the monsters level in your info
Last edited by Antison on Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please post in English only.
draze

Post by draze »

Hello Ermerson,
welcome to the forums!
Nut wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:51 pm Best write in English or at least add a Google translate. Then your chance to get an answer will be greatly increased ;)
We can't limit the level availability of the players to enter specific areas because our game engine can't do that. We simply use quest as a sensor or key for the areas to be available.

And who is "Ben"?
Your quest has been fulfilled! It's time for a nap.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Ermeson,

Dhayaver is a free and open to explore world and as such, we will never have such restrictions.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"