v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Low level Quest

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Mourngrim
android_version: 4.0

Low level Quest

Post by Mourngrim »

First draft of Quest Log for my Hunting Quest. This is given by Mikhail after the first two have been completed.
{
"id": "hunting",
"name": "Happy Hunting",
"showInLog": 1,
"stages": [
{
"progress": 10,
"logText": "My father has offered to teach me to hunt."
},
{
"progress": 20,
"logText": "I have agreed to practice my hunting"
},
{
"progress": 30,
"logText": "My father said I should collect 10 meat and 4 poison glands from the snakes in a cave to the south of Crossglen"
},
{
"progress": 40,
"logText": "I returned to my father with the meat and poison glands he asked for."
},
{
"progress": 50,
"logText": "My father has now asked me to gather 10 meat and 5 animal hair from the foxes and boar to the east of Crossglen."
},
{
"progress": 100,
"logText": "I returned to my father with the meat and hair he asked for. He has taught me hunting and given me a skinning knife.",
"finishesQuest": 1,
"rewardExperience": 250
}
Item:
{
"id": "knife1",
"iconID": "items_weapons:14",
"name": "Skinning Knife",
"category": "dagger",
"baseMarketCost": 70,
"equipEffect": {
"increaseAttackCost": 4,
"increaseAttackChance": 10,
"increaseAttackDamage": {
"min": 4,
"max": 4
}
},
"displaytype": "extraordinary",
"description": "A sharp, heavy knife used in hunting."
}
More to follow soon.

M
Lvl: 49, XP: 2184338, Gold: 15918, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
HP: 86, AC: 256%, AD: 30-35, AP: 3, ECC: 0%, CM: -, BC: 108%, DR: 1
ctnbeh13
VIP
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Re: Low level Quest

Post by ctnbeh13 »

More low level quests are definitely desired and being worked on. I believe that a goal to keep in mind during such a task is to build upon and enhance what Oskar has originally put in place, not alter it. To go so soon from a club to the weapon you propose may be too much, too soon. The concept of the Hero learning to hunt isn't a bad idea generally speaking, but receiving requests to bring back certain items really isn't a teaching process, per say. In contrast to this quest line is the implied importance of finding the whereabouts of Andor, which is seemingly downplayed at the moment by introducing the idea of learning to hunt.

I realize that you intend to follow up with more on the concept that you're proposing, but since you offered up something, I felt that offering my opinion on it before you invested a good chunk of your time on this might be of some benefit.

Maybe this topic should be merged with http://www.andorstrail.com/viewtopic.ph ... 804#p48657, or vice versa?
One of even fewer...
Mourngrim

Post by Mourngrim »

They are one and the same :) I realise that you can't see the conversations as they are in my head. A rough synopsis is...

Andor is not nearby, I'll have to look farther away
You could get hurt, you'll need better supplies. I'll teach you to hunt so that you can get better equipment.
and so on.

I posted in ideas to get some feedback, and I thought this area was for the actual code, which I have now started trying to figure out.

The quest is aimed at levels 6-11. You can do early snake caves, and the rabid foxes and boar, but it will take some resting to do it. If it needs any tweaking, please let me know. I feel it's about right, you may disagree. It keeps the player in the local area, near the bed etc, it gives more interaction with your father, in a family way (more obvious in the actual text), and fits in with the Andor quest. If I put in a requirement that you are already being sent to Fallhaven as part of the main quest, then I think it will tie up niceley.

Unfortunately most of this is in the conversations, I can tie it in to the questlog if that makes it clearer...?

The skill will be given at completion, you have practiced, and your father has polished your technique.

I didn't think the knife was over powered, as it is a reward at the end, when the player can already buy the swords available in Crossglen and Fallhaven. I had considered adding a -BC, but was worried about making it too weak. How about -5BC and 3-4AD?

All feedback appreciated, as it's my first time trying to integrate and use the tools.

M
Lvl: 49, XP: 2184338, Gold: 15918, RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0, SRoV: 0, VSH: 0, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

If it's for levels 6-10, and it's from Mikhail, then you need to think about how it will be initiated. Without something specific that occurs later in the game you will almost certainly start it at level 1, in your first conversation. I think that's the point ctnbeh13 is trying to make. That's too early, and detracts from the main point of the very important first conversation: find Andor. For example, you can't have this conversation with Mikhail until you have spoken to someone in Fallhaven who suggests that if you have to look further afield for Andor then honing you hunting skills might be a good idea.

I also agree with ctnbeh13 that just going and getting a few items does not really fit with the idea of "teaching".
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

I agree that Mikhail may not be the best quest giver for this one. However, with the right dialogues, the "go get me these" could be a fine enough approximation of hunting lessons IMHO. I like the two parts offered, as it guides the player to the currently recommended grinding places.
Maybe someone "useless" in the tavern in either Crossglen or Fallhaven could do the job. ("I used to be a famous hunter, but now I can't because of XXX. Let me give you some tips...").
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
Mourngrim

Post by Mourngrim »

I'm not explaining very well.

After Bread & Rats, and after Gruil suggests you go speak to his friend in Fallhaven, Mikhail will have a new conversation option (based on the conditions Bread 100, Rats 100 & Andor x?). At this point the player will be level 2 or 3, but still unable to complete this quest easily, and will have to wait a little.

Player says Andor is not nearby, and is given the option of going to Fallhaven and beyond to continue his search. Mikhail does not want to lose both sons, and suggests the player learn hunting to get better prepared.

After the collection of the animal parts, Mikhail will teach you the Skill Hunting, and give you the skinning knife as quest rewards, if that's agreeable. That's the "teaching" part.

So, still to code:

Mikhails new conversation options.(mostly scribbled already)
Hunting Skill (a lot more research to do).

If that's not clear, next stage is to type out the conversations for you to see it in full.

Esentially, the current game scenario has Mikhail sending his youngest son, still a kid in most peoples eyes, off out in to a dangerous world with little more than a club. Basically certain death. This allows Mikhail to be a bit more of a worried father, and to better prepare son2 to survive long enough to find and return with news of Andor.

As there is a lot of running around in the game, I may come up with more Mikhail quests to report on the search, as really you should be letting your father know how the search is going IMO.

Please keep up with the feedback, and I'll get the next parts coded as soon as possible to give you a better idea if I'm still not explaining it properly.

M
Mourngrim

Post by Mourngrim »

Quick Question, where are the json or whatever for Skills? I can't find them in the content editor.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Skills are not in the content editor, they are hard coded in the game. One of the devs would have to implement it for you if your quest is acceptable.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
ctnbeh13
VIP
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by ctnbeh13 »

"Andor is not nearby" is not congruent with the development of the storyline. The ambiguity of where Andor actually is and what his status is, is part of the foundation established for the game itself. A player may assume that Andor is only found, or possibly confronted, at the end of the game, but tracking him down is the main theme of the game. Mikhail is simply asking one sibling to go and fetch another who essentially has not returned home when expected. To say "This allows Mikhail to be a bit more of a worried father, and to better prepare son2 to survive long enough to find and return with news of Andor.", seems contradictory in nature, as immediate concerns are rarely dealt with by engaging in time consuming education and training beforehand.

As things are currently, Mikhail believes that he is asking the Hero to complete a task within his ability. I believe that rijackson741 and Zukero have identified and expressed that you shouldn't scrap your story, but merely modify it to better compliment and extend the existing content. This is particularly my goal here.
One of even fewer...
Mourngrim

Post by Mourngrim »

Thank for your continued feedback.

I think this may become clearer in the actual conversations, only some of which I have managed to type up. I steal an hour here and there on my wifes laptop until my new motherboard arrives, hopefully next week.

After Andor30, Player is off to Fallhaven after speaking to Gruil. At this point he might tell his father he is leaving the village. The road to Fallhaven is dangerous for someone with no money and a club, even with a magic ring.

Reporting back to Mikhail that you can't find Andor in Crossglen, and are heading further afield doesn't feel at odds with a father son relationship, or my perceptions of the early game.

Crucially, we know that Andor didn't come home last night, but we don't know if this is a common occurence, the context is missing. We know that Mikhail isn't initially too worried, as he thinks Andor is nearby. We aren't really given enough to presume how he might feel if Andor is nowhere in Crossglen. As a father of young and older children, I'd be more worried to learn one of my kids was missing and not in the usual places, and noone who had been asked could say with any degree of certianty where he was.

I don't know if you are being polite and saying "Stop" in nice words, and I'm wasting my time trying to convince you when you have already decided, or if this is still open to discussion and adaptation. :)

M