v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

THE GANDHI CHALLENGE --- How far can YOU go?

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
BethelAbba
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

THE GANDHI CHALLENGE --- How far can YOU go?

Post by BethelAbba »

I don't believe this has shown up here before, I did try to search a few key terms but nothing like what I have in mind showed up.

THE GANDHI CHALLENGE.....

Create a new game character. This character is a pacifist. He will only fight when he deems it necessary. He will try to remain neutral (making Prim / Blackwater a tough challenge) And --- He will not carry or take up a weapon!!! Everything is done barehanded. No weapons of any kind.... not even a dagger.

Short form rules found here:
GIve thanks to Voom for simplifying my verbosity.

Rules:
1. No weapons are allowed – bare-fist attacks only.
2. Only cloth and leather armor are allowed.
3. Only bucklers for shields are allowed.
4. Rings and necklaces are allowed.
5. No 'Villain' equipment allowed.
6. Only HP and BC level ups are allowed.
7. No AD, AC, and Crit skills are allowed.
8. No meat, perch, bone meal, or alcohol consumables are allowed.
9. Everything else is up to you.
  1. He can wear cloth or light armor, and preferably only that which he can find / quest for, but we will allow that he can't go naked and so some dressing must be purchased. Just keep in mind that as a pacifist, he's not looking to deck himself out in battle armor.
  • He can hold no weapon. All fighting must be done by hand. Shields.... are at your discretion. Just remember you're focus is on Block and not attack
  • All Rings, Necklaces and Light Armor can be used EXCEPT where they carry the "VILLAIN" designation. You're a good guy.... try to keep it that way.
  • He can Level up. All EXP points he gains (and Skill points from levels gained) CAN BE USED. BUT.... no points into damage or attack chance. All level points must go into Block or Life. Skill points are at your discretion with the same limitations.
  • He can fight! It's just learning to pick and choose your battles carefully. Quests naturally will require some killing... simply go at it with a different mindset -- You're trying to obtain the items you need and NOT just going out to recklessly kill everything in your path.
  • He can can only eat vegetables ---- NO MEAT, and NO BONE MEAL POTIONS. This is going to be a tough but our little guy insists on a healthy lifestyle. Milk? OK. Mead? Not in this body!! Any meat you obtain can be sold for $$$$... and trust me, you're gonna need it in this challenge
  • NO GRINDING!!!! The object of this challenge is to use your brains more than your fists.
  • Lastly, the object of this challenge is to complete as many of the quests as you can, gaining AS LITTLE EXPERIENCE AS POSSIBLE.
Ok.... so there are 52 active quests in Andor's Trail. 3-4 of them (if memory serves me) cannot be completed. What you choose to do with the sheep is up to you (honestly.... Tinlyn is a thief, in my opinion, who is merely escaping his larger responsibilities... and he shows this by his attitude towards you helping him) ----- but the real aim here is to finish as many of them as you can, with as few kills as possible. Blackwater / Prim are not off limits... if you want to kill one or the other leader... you must have a good reason to do so in your own pacifist mind.

THE WINNER OF THIS CHALLENGE............ Is the one (ONE) person who completes the most quests, WITH THE LEAST EXPERIENCE.
I am considering bonus subtraction of points for some of the harder quests.... if you manage to finish "I have it in me" or "Searching for Madness" .... you should be honestly rewarded for your patience and efforts. maybe -10,000EXP per higher level quest? Unsure at the moment.... I'll gauge everyone's opinions in the discussion of this thread
We will trust each person's honesty here.... but be ready to provide screen shots where necessary. If you manage to kill Hira'zinn with your barefists... I am sure many out there are going to want to see the proof.

Up to it? Wanna try it?

Here's my own Character's progress in this:

Name: Ghandi --- 8 quests completed. Currently level 5, with total EXP of 2,504. HP 30, BC 9% wearing the original shirt and Mikhail's ring. I have 662 gold, and my most commonly killed monster is Small Wasp (5). Larcal is my most powerful monster killed.

Let's see who can do the most with this extreme challenge.
Zukero wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:09 pm OK. Gandhi score = Quests points / ((2 ^ Death count) x (XP + kill count))

How about counting scores the following way:
- Each completed quest grants 10k points
- Quests involving killing a boss count double
- Divide your score by the sum of total exp and TOTAL killed monsters
- number of deaths increases your division multiplier (No deaths, x2, 1 death x3, 2 deaths x4, etc)

The highest score wins.
Zukero's math equation shall be the determiner for this challenge.

# Quest's x 10,000 (so for me, 80,000 Plus one boss, so 90,000)
EXP 2504 + 22 = 2526
90,000 divided by 2526 = 36 (rounded up)

Seems I am not doing all that well....
Last edited by BethelAbba on Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
Alsa - Lvl:60, HP:174 AC:230%, AD:27-34 BC:174%, DR:4 BM used: 12 (Lodars)
Most Kills: Shdw Garg Mstr:3700(+3281 trnrs)
Gold:313,705 | HoF: 1 ChaR: 2
WA: 2, HH: 2, Clv: 2, IF: 3, Re: 3, MF: 2, DP: 2, LAP: 1, HAP: 1
lucifer
android_version: 4.2

Re: A NEW Andor's Trail Challenge

Post by lucifer »

I dont think your challenge will go too far.
In my opinion, you can do everything except:
-buy items that heal over time
-cannot rest
-only potions, consumables and drink that gives instant health.
BethelAbba

Post by BethelAbba »

lucifer wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:41 am I dont think your challenge will go too far.
In my opinion, you can do everything except:
-buy items that heal over time
-cannot rest
-only potions, consumables and drink that gives instant health.
But therein lies the real challenge --- just how far can / do you go? I am not saying that you can't kill ANYTHING... simply that you pick and choose your battles more carefully. You will need to make money (I am presently up to over 1K in gold ... saving for my first ring) somehow.... so pick your battles / quests specifically and aim more for getting things done instead of killing, killing, killing, and more killing.

On the way to some places there are fixed monsters you can't simply flee around. Obviously you will have to kill them... and maybe pick a few others out as well for the EXP / MONEY / ITEMS they might add to your character.

I've now finished 9 quests. I am over 3000 for EXP, level 6. Trying to think if I want Vacor's or Unzel's boots.... I am leaning more towards Unzel in this case, normally I take Vacor. Either way has long term affects that I want to balance out... and my percentages are key to my direction.

This challenge has made me think more along those aims than I do normally.
lucifer

Post by lucifer »

Isnt grinding not using your fist? You know you grind for more money, then it should be allowed.
Btw, if this ever gets approved?
Whats the reward, i mean, no one will go screenshot everytime and not heal right?
BethelAbba

Post by BethelAbba »

lucifer wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:54 am Isnt grinding not using your fist? You know you grind for more money, then it should be allowed.
Btw, if this ever gets approved?
Whats the reward, i mean, no one will go screenshot everytime and not heal right?

Was recently reading though one of the earlier threads with the challenge to complete the game without ever leaving level 1. I just thought that this would be a similar challenge to see how far one could go.

As such, I was looking forward to active conversation such as you and I have engaged... trying to flesh out just how things would proceed.

Grinding for money... but to what degree? Someone smart will simply attack rabid dogs over and over because they offer the greatest reward at the least EXP --- and lower EXP is the key to this challenge. So what rules do we set in place to insure fairness across the board? Or rather --- instead of imposing rules.... how do we approach the question of grinding?
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

Interesting challenge.
How about counting scores the following way:
- Each completed quest grants 10k points
- Quests involving killing a boss count double
- Divide your score by the sum of total exp and killed monsters.

The highest score wins.

Edit: finding the least rewarding path for a quest can yield a better score.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
lucifer

Post by lucifer »

This challenge is quite hard to do.
Let me say what i understand for now..
Youre not allowed to grind, but you would kill alot of them, right?
If buying weapons and armors not allowed, where will you gain gold?
Correct me if i have mistakes

*edit*
Youre saying gold from quest instead of imaginary dogs that drop gold, okay
How would you finish a quest so hard without grinding. Is that part of the challenge?
ace
VIP
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by ace »

What's GHANDI? :roll:
the secrets of shadow and light
be happy :lol:
https://facebook.com/andorstrail
Zukero
Lead Developer
android_version: 8.0

Post by Zukero »

You of all people should know that. Mahatma Gandhi was a great Indian lawyer, who fought for the independence of India through non-violence. He won the peace Nobel prize and is considered the father of the Indian nation.
Lvl: 78, XP: 8622632, Gold: 271542, RoLS: 1, ElyR: -, RoL: -, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 1, VSH: 1, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 71, AC: 301%, AD: 38-47, AP: 3, ECC: 50%, CM: 3.75, BC: 101%, DR: 2
BethelAbba

Post by BethelAbba »

Lucifer --- Yes the challenge is hard to do, that's what makes it a "CHALLENGE". Just how far can you make it through the game?

To answer your questions --- Lucifer, you can BUY armor.... but you are limited. NO HEAVY armor. Only light armor or cloth. Simple Cloth is what Ghandi wore.... and he conquered an entire nation without killing a single person.

Grinding is at your own discretion, but remember that the more you grind.... the more EXP you gain.... the less likely you are to win. Again, turning to Ghandi as the example, He was a Hindu. As a Hindu, ALL life is sacred.... thus killing is not allowed UNLESS IT IS NECESSARY. In this case, you determine what is "NECESSARY".

The aim is simply to get through the game with the least amount of EXP possible. It's up to you how you do that.

Zukero --- I had considered that, but subtracting 10,000 points for killing rats for your mother doesn't really make much sense, right? There needs to be a balanced approach to which quests grant you a bonus.

FInally --- Lucifer --- and everyone else.... What really makes this hard is that you aren't allowed to add points to your damage or AC. This means.... bare fist damage and whatever bonus you can gain from rings or gloves or cloth armor..... is all the damage you will EVER HAVE (and that isn't much, honestly). THAT WILL BE A SERIOUS CHALLENGE.
Last edited by BethelAbba on Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.