v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Some non-game changing ideas

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Lich King
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: Some non-game changing ideas

Post by Lich King »

OK, well Evasion might not be the most useless skill, not as useless as eg. Fast learner, Haggler, Failure mastery, Treasure hunter, etc. But I still consider it useless. I mean, if the choice was either Evasion or nothing, then of course I'd pick it every time. But becouse the choice is either Evasion or Combat speed, Increased fortitude, Regen, Weapon/Armour specialization, etc. - well, it is much less useful than those.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Skills are, at least to some degree, what you make of them. You say Quick learner is useless, but Tristan has used it to get to level 396 (viewtopic.php?t=7251&start=20). I personally have never taken even one point in it, but it depends on what you want to achieve. Once you get to somewhere around level 70 you can kill anything just by giving it a nasty look, so then the skills you choose are just to create the character you want. Some of the skills are there for such players.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
RaptorNXT
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by RaptorNXT »

rijackson741 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:49 pm Skills are, at least to some degree, what you make of them. You say Quick learner is useless, but Tristan has used it to get to level 396 (viewtopic.php?t=7251&start=20). I personally have never taken even one point in it, but it depends on what you want to achieve. Once you get to somewhere around level 70 you can kill anything just by giving it a nasty look, so then the skills you choose are just to create the character you want. Some of the skills are there for such players.
Killing something by giving it a nasty look will make an amazing, though overpowered skillset.

Death Glare: increases AC and AD both by 500%. Available only post level 200.

... I did say it would be OP. 😛
RaptorNXT

Sentinel
L = 90
AC = 352
AD = 47-63
CHS = 31
CM = 2
ECC = 19%

BC = 143
DR = 11

Shadow Regeneration

WA L2, HH L2, BS L2, CS L2, CL L2, CE L2, IF, Reg, Evsn, OHSP L3, SP L2
Fighting style: W&S L2
Specialization: W&S L1
Lich King

Post by Lich King »

Yet another non-game changing idea: set the price of some underpriced items in accordance to their value. Examples that come to my mind right now are Irotogu's necklace, Undead's necklace, Guynmart shield. Probably there are quite a few other similar items still. I got the explanation earlier that their price was set that low to discourige selling them. But I think you should not discourige selling them, becouse the player can very well see their value from their stats and decide if s/he wants them or rather wants their price. Also for example Irotogu's necklace has an upgrade and it's price (it should be somewhere around 1500-1700 Gp) would come in handy when buying that upgrade. Also this line of thought is inconsistent with the pricing of some other rare items, for example Lord Erwyn's ring worths more than 3000 Gp.
The Guynmart shield doesn't even have a price, it's unsellable. I guess that's becouse the other reward is money. But still I think it should be sellable, even if for less than 5000 Gp. (It doesn't worth 5000. 3000 at best, but rather even less.)
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

When an item is created, the game engine calculates a price. Lord Erwyn's ring is just the calculated price, because DR is so valuable. But the calculated price can be overridden, and if that was done then it was done for a reason. Players can not always know the real value of an item. It's easy to say that that they should, but in practice, for a new player that is not familiar with the game, they don't. So we set a price to hint to them that selling the item is probably a bad idea. Or, we make it completely unsellable, because that would be a really bad idea!
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Lich King

Post by Lich King »

But on the other hand, if you set a high price, or keep the calculated price (wich is high), that too can hint the player that it is a valuable item becouse it literally has a high price. No? Your logic makes no sense to me.
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

If it has a high price, players are even more likely to sell it. If you wish, you can believe that they will see the high price as a hint not to sell it, but I guarantee that you are wrong about that. At one point we had an item that was labeled as a quest item, and some players sold it anyway. Now you can't sell it.
Lich King

Post by Lich King »

If you say so. It's very weird to me though. I was about to make a comment on the intelligence of such players, but I rather keep it to myself. Still weird: they'd sell it for what? What to buy on the price? Some worse item?
At one point we had an item that was labeled as a quest item, and some players sold it anyway. Now you can't sell it.
Was that perhaps the hatchet in Brimheavenn? I wanted to sell it too (after the mission!) and was kinda frustrated that I couldn't. It has no use anymore after the quest is complete. And anyone who'd sell it while on the quest would deserve not to be able to complete the quest.
draze

Post by draze »

Lich King wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:47 pm It has no use anymore after the quest is complete.
Who knows? This open-source game is still in the working progress. Maybe in the future it will be useful. :)
Your quest has been fulfilled! It's time for a nap.
mco
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by mco »

Hey everyone. Just had a few random ideas.

1. Dropping rotten meat attracts all cave enemies so you can avoid them.
2. Allowing two or three "fitouts" so you can easily change your gear and play with different combos. Not during combat, just in a safe place (mostly because sorting is a pain when you have a ton of gear).
3. Wondering if it's possible to make some of the disorders take away a percentage of your total HP instead of a set number. I'm higher lvl now so basically no effect anymore, but early on some of those disorders were brutal. Wouldn't mind making it harder for myself if it's say 5% every turn. Might make the difficulty a little more manageable at lower levels too.
4. Allow us to have the cooks at taverns turn your meat into cooked meat for a price.

Love the game and appreciate all the recent updates!