v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Beta test version of Andor's Trail v0.7.13

Official news about Andor's Trail.
Soullessktty
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Re: Beta test version of Andor's Trail v0.7.13

Post by Soullessktty »

I play mainly with D-Pad. In fact, the only case that I do not use D-Pad is when the map and D-Pad is overlapped. To avoid overlapping, I play with 50% scaling on my phone, which works 99% of the time.

What's the matter with the square one, I seems to keep mis-clicking the D-Pad and either going to the wrong direction or my hero isn't moving at all because I am touching outside the D-Pad. Maybe I have become so used to the circle one that often times, I can move without even looking where the D-Pad is.

Another problem is that, I always put D-Pad on the lower right corner, which, as you know, it is overlapping will overlap with the icons for any actor conditions affecting my hero. With the round D-pad, I can still see the actor conditions' icons. However, with the square one, It covers most of the actor conditions' icons. Thus, I have to set the D-pad at the bottom center, which is not ideal, and possibly also affects my ability using the D-Pad effectively.

Moreover, somehow I feel that the square D-Pad is not transparent enough. For that matter, the quickslots are not transparent enough too (this is not related to beta test, but in general).

Will a flexible positioning helps with the game play? Definitely yes. If I may add, not only flexible, but ability to set the transparency the D-Pad will also help when its position overlaps with other views. But, if adjusting the transparency is not possible, ability to move the D-Pad on-the-fly, or something similar will helps.

Unfortunately I am unable to provide screenshots because I have switched back to 7.12 released version.
QQkp wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:07 am
Cauziler wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:14 am I agree, I like the old one better better.
I have the same questions for you, then:
QQkp wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:39 pm If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ask for some further feedback here.

For context, I introduced the new graphic because the old one was, in a sense, "wrong", in that the logical regions of the button didn't accurately correspond to the button's appearance. We previously chatted about this on the forum here. I play permadeath with the dpad, so that matters quite a bit to me - walking the wrong direction can mean game over, sometimes.

So I'd like to understand:
  • Could you describe what you dislike about the new graphic? (Size? Opacity? Aesthetic? Function?)
  • Would your concern be addressed with more flexible positioning options for the dpad (like you suggested in the thread I linked above)? Or would you still prefer the previous graphic even with that?
  • Would you mind sharing a screenshot of your layout?
I still have the SVG source file for the new dpad image, so tweaking it wouldn't take much time if we can think of ways that might make it feel better.
Also, one other quick one: Do you typically play mostly with dpad, mostly without, or a mix?
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

Poppo wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:06 am It says that the translation has been updated, but at least the Japanese User interface is identical to the 0.7.12.1 version (F-Droid) and does not appear to be updated. Game content is fine.
Indeed translations to the user interface remained unchanged. For a beta I can only update the translations of the content.
I should be more specific next time ...
Nut
MIknight
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by MIknight »

The beta has flaws, namely:
IMG_20210114_090511.jpg
I also meant what is wrong there, but I was told that it is 1 level higher, then at least add a shadow, as in the second...
2.Will the translations in the next beta be completed and translated into the game?
3.So if the problem is found and not solved, how did you solve it? I was talking about the problem and all this...

P.S And yes, I'm picky, sorry... :roll: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that map, no matter how many times you point it out. And even if there was, it is not unique to the beta version.

As Nut has stated a couple of times in this thread, The translations are not part of the beta but they will be included in the version that gets released to Google play and F-Droid. Assuming a volunteer has translated the text
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
MIknight

Post by MIknight »

Ehh, well, you're right about that, if there are other questions, I'll ask, thank you for answering.
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

MIknight wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:38 pm then at least add a shadow, as in the second...
The west wall has a shadow. Illumination in all maps is from the SW, so walls on the east have no shadow.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
MIknight

Post by MIknight »

Thank you, just noticing it at first, I thought why this is a mistake, because it is a sharp transition from one side to the other and he goes up the hill, not on its slope. Krch, I realized, thank you again for explaining this anomaly :mrgreen:
QQkp

Post by QQkp »

Soullessktty wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:51 am I play mainly with D-Pad. In fact, the only case that I do not use D-Pad is when the map and D-Pad is overlapped. To avoid overlapping, I play with 50% scaling on my phone, which works 99% of the time.

What's the matter with the square one, I seems to keep mis-clicking the D-Pad and either going to the wrong direction or my hero isn't moving at all because I am touching outside the D-Pad. Maybe I have become so used to the circle one that often times, I can move without even looking where the D-Pad is.

Another problem is that, I always put D-Pad on the lower right corner, which, as you know, it is overlapping will overlap with the icons for any actor conditions affecting my hero. With the round D-pad, I can still see the actor conditions' icons. However, with the square one, It covers most of the actor conditions' icons. Thus, I have to set the D-pad at the bottom center, which is not ideal, and possibly also affects my ability using the D-Pad effectively.

Moreover, somehow I feel that the square D-Pad is not transparent enough. For that matter, the quickslots are not transparent enough too (this is not related to beta test, but in general).

Will a flexible positioning helps with the game play? Definitely yes. If I may add, not only flexible, but ability to set the transparency the D-Pad will also help when its position overlaps with other views. But, if adjusting the transparency is not possible, ability to move the D-Pad on-the-fly, or something similar will helps.
Thanks a bunch for taking the time to write this up! It definitely makes things more clear.

I'm not quite sure what might be the issue about mis-clicking. The logic for handling the taps themselves hasn't changed, just the graphic. I'm trying out expanding the margins a bit to make it feel less "squished" to the sides of the screen - maybe that could help here, too?

I get what you mean about the actor conditions being obscured. I tend to use the dpad left-handed (dpad on bottom left), so I guess I never really encountered it. Do you think addressing the transparency issue would suffice here? Or would it still be a problem even if you could set the transparency to keep the conditions mostly visible?

I haven't figured out a good way of handling flexible dpad positioning yet, but I have a prototype for configuring transparency from the preferences menu. I've attached some screenshots from my testing, would love to hear your thoughts if you think it'd be helpful.

2021-01-16 - 1 - new setting.png
2021-01-16 - 3 - 70pct transparent.png
2021-01-16 - 4 - 70pct with conditions.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Why not just make the position of the actor conditions configurable so the option can be added to put them on the left side of the screen?
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Cauziler
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Post by Cauziler »

Soullessktty wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:51 am I play mainly with D-Pad. In fact, the only case that I do not use D-Pad is when the map and D-Pad is overlapped. To avoid overlapping, I play with 50% scaling on my phone, which works 99% of the time.

Unfortunately I am unable to provide screenshots because I have switched back to 7.12 released version.
QQkp wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:07 am
Cauziler wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:14 am I agree, I like the old one better better.
I have the same questions for you, then:
QQkp wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:39 pm If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ask for some further feedback here.

For context, I introduced the new graphic because the old one was, in a sense, "wrong", in that the logical regions of the button didn't accurately correspond to the button's appearance. We previously chatted about this on the forum here. I play permadeath with the dpad, so that matters quite a bit to me - walking the wrong direction can mean game over, sometimes.

So I'd like to understand:
  • Could you describe what you dislike about the new graphic? (Size? Opacity? Aesthetic? Function?)
  • Would your concern be addressed with more flexible positioning options for the dpad (like you suggested in the thread I linked above)? Or would you still prefer the previous graphic even with that?
  • Would you mind sharing a screenshot of your layout?
I still have the SVG source file for the new dpad image, so tweaking it wouldn't take much time if we can think of ways that might make it feel better.
Also, one other quick one: Do you typically play mostly with dpad, mostly without, or a mix?
Same issue here with me. Except its more that I hold my thumb on the dpad, single click is fine with movement . Also i had to move my dpad from lower left to middle left because of hitting the character icon for menu. I must be slow today.... I can't figure out how to post a screenshot.?..lol