v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

I love this game... but, there is far too much dependency on grinding

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Grawmpy
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop

I love this game... but, there is far too much dependency on grinding

Post by Grawmpy »

I can see grinding for some things in order to level up and increase ones strength in order for your character to be able to complete the harder quests or to get items to maintain ones health. But what is the purpose of having extraordinary items being dropped 1/10,000% of the time? Literally only 1% of every 1,000 kills drops these items. When there are only 8 creatures with the POSSIBILITY to drop an item this can take weeks. I have literally spent a month, not playing the game, waiting on creature respawning trying to get one item. This depends more on dumb luck than any type of skill. Most of the time I pass this up because it's just far too tedious to attempt. If someone wants to get the extraordinary items, most of their time is wasted waiting for the respawning rather than playing the actual game.

Speaking of "skill", I did an experiment to see if the "Magic Finder" skill would make any difference in getting the RoL. Through a Hex Editor I moved the skill up to level 50. You would think that with this skill set at this level there would be a terrific advantage to getting an extraordinary item. No, this is not the case. I still had to kill over a thousand creatures to get it.

If you really want to put extraordinary items in the game, put it at the end of a tremendous quest that is a significant challenge to the player to finish? This would make getting the item that much more desirable and would depend more on the skill of the player rather than blind dumb luck. Don't make it so that most of the players time is spent waiting for creatures to respawn.

How you have integrated extraordinary and legendary items into the game is the only thing I really hate. At first I actually did it, but after a while it becomes far too tedious to attempt. I don't want to have to try for a month in order to get one item each time I create a new character. I have learned how to edit the savegame for no other reason than to save time so I can get on to actually playing the game and not waiting for one type of monster to respawn and HOPE that MAYBE it will drop an item.

I love the premise of the game for the most part, but, as others will attest, there is far too much dependency on waiting on respawning in order to get an item that most likely won't be given.
Last edited by Grawmpy on Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Name: Grawmpy
Level: 42, Total XP: 1317231, XP: 7076 HP: 110, AD: 41-56, AP: 4, ECC: 31%, CM: 4.5, BC: 100, DR: 4 Gold: 365320 | RoLS: 2, RoL: 1 :evil:
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: I love this game... but, there is far too much dependency on grinding

Post by rijackson741 »

We seem to repeat this a lot, but...

The legendary and extraordinary drops were added to the game solely to give players something to do between releases, if they so choose. You do not need them for anything. Sure a couple are nice to have, but most are just collectors items. If you want to collect them, you can. If you don't, then just ignore them. They are not really even a part of the game. I don't grind for them. Between releases I do set myself up next to the monsters that have what I want, and if I have five minutes waiting around for something I kill a bunch of them. If I get one, great. If not, I just move on with the next release. Not sure how many Trolls I've killed, but still no HoF. Oh well. At level 69 I can go anywhere I want anyway :D

1/10,000 is 10% in 1000 ;)

MF does make a difference, but even with 50 levels your chance of getting a legendary item is 93.8% after 1000 kills (as opposed to 10.1% with no levels). So yes, if you are unlucky, you won't get one.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
draze

Post by draze »

I agree with both of you - rijackson741 and Grawmpy. AT is a matter of total grinding even from the first game especially for gold while experience for the late game but, somehow, it makes you tired or lazy once you created a new character or reached a high level. So how much more if you have to grind tirelessly again for legendary and extraordinary items? Nevertheless, it is a matter of your decision to either collect collectable or grind indefatigable legendary and extraordinary items. In addition, MF DOES make a difference, like Grawmpy, I experimented and boosted my IF up to level 255 and when I killed 24 wyrm trainers and 19 wyrm apprentices I finally obtained "Elytharan Redeemer". Lastly, you can even get rare items 100% from monster drop with the said level of IF.
Or even better- you can pick wild berries infinite (just wait for a couple of seconds to show up again) with the stated level of IF.
Last edited by draze on Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your quest has been fulfilled! It's time for a nap.
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

We have tried hard to reduce the grinding. Over the recent releases we added more low and medium level quests and areas. It's not nearly as hard to gain XP in early-mid game as it once was.
Gold is an issue. We are not sure what to do about that. Early on, it's hard to get enough. Late game, you can have more than you know what to do with.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
draze

Post by draze »

I understand you, rijackson741. Ergo, I suggest not to change the said issue because I love the way how you must do a hard work before you become rich which is indispensable and applicable even in our real world. Unless, you have a heirloom financially.
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Osho »

Completely agree OP.

This has been discussed in the past and the simple solutions to ease the pain players have to go through grinding also exist.

Be it utilizing a lot of drop items with changed prices to tweaking a couple of skills and leveling up requirements, which lean more towards grinding than better rewards for the efforts.

Hopefully the day will come where the complaints would be addressed
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

We have spent so much effort to mitigate the grind especially between levels 1-13. And I would actually go to the extra step and say that it is probably good and needs no further changes.
Now levels 14-23, yes there is still a significant grind needed. The Fungi quests helped, but it was not enough. We need more quests around the outer bounds of Fallhaven/Vilegard/Crossroads guard shack. Every one of you are welcome to come up with quest ideas. :D
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
draze

Post by draze »

Antison wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:46 am We have spent so much effort to mitigate the grind especially between levels 1-13. And I would actually go to the extra step and say that it is probably good and needs no further changes.
Now levels 14-23, yes there is still a significant grind needed. The Fungi quests helped, but it was not enough. We need more quests around the outer bounds of Fallhaven/Vilegard/Crossroads guard shack. Every one of you are welcome to come up with quest ideas. :D
Thank you, Antison. I do have a challenging (or extreme) quest idea that popped up in my mind. But I don't know if it's either enlisted (or existed) already in the upcoming update or sisyphean in the future update.
Danilo492
android_version: 8.0

Post by Danilo492 »

Why not speed up the respawn or have a single map with an endless mob of random monsters, already defeated bosses, mini-bosses etc.?
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Danilo492 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:23 pm Why not speed up the respawn or have a single map with an endless mob of random monsters, already defeated bosses, mini-bosses etc.?
I don't speak for the whole dev team when I say this, but messing with the respawn rate or introducing an endless mob will significantly tip the scale in the opposite direction.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"