v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

New beta! (V.0.8.3)

Official news about Andor's Trail.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: New beta! (V.0.8.3)

Post by Antison »

charnameLol,

The Haunted forest is not targeting the same player level as the Sullengard maps are. In fact, I'm targeting about 10 levels lower than that.

There is a script at the bottom of the stairs in the basement where the demon is that gives you the fear that you're looking for.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
charnameLol
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by charnameLol »

Antison wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:08 pm charnameLol,

The Haunted forest is not targeting the same player level as the Sullengard maps are. In fact, I'm targeting about 10 levels lower than that.

There is a script at the bottom of the stairs in the basement where the demon is that gives you the fear that you're looking for.
Ah okay. No problem.

I did go down the stairs to the basement. Found that demon clad in some red colored clothes. Forgot his name. He had 291 HP. That's the one I was talking about in my post. Not enough HP and BC he has for a demon.
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

charnameLol wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:00 pm Hi there Developers.

Good game. I like the stacking of mind fog with fear. Pretty cool.

Couple of first/main screen suggestions, if I may:

1. There is a typo is the word "louder". It says "loader' in two dialogs where the character is investigating in the bushes to find the source of the moans.

2. About the import-export functions. When a game is imported the UI could show a Toast that the import was successful. I actually expected the game not only be imported but also loaded, so I would have "Continue" instead of "New game" when the import was successful.

3. I think a toast would also be nice for successful import of World map. And thanks for these two features BTW :)

------------

Game content suggestions:

1. This might come as a surprise but, can the monsters in the nearby maps until (the demon is encountered) be made more fierce?

I complained a bit about Snakes in Sullengad, I know. But I sort of got a taste of that challenge. Antison spoiled me. Hehe. I'm trying to get that challenge. I reduced my BC from 264 to 183 to give monsters a good fighting chance.

The stacking of Mind fog with Fear easily decreased BC by about 60-70 points and AC too. So that poses nice challenge from monsters. I liked that.

Would you be open to increasing the chances of getting these actor conditions, say from 25% to umm, 49%? That would be awesome.

2. There are a couple of different types of monsters. Can any one or more of them be configured to attack as a swarm, like those rotten corpses used to do in Graveyard map?

See, these creatures are there to protect a demon of greater power. I'm hoping to have the demon demonstrate that power by making those creatures attack swiftly and in a swarm by moving closer to the attacker. And may be add a single dialogue where when the player enters into a region/map adjacent to the one where demon is, the player should sense a great disturbance progressively. You know, like in a horror movie. As the character goes more closer to the source of noise things the tension starts rising more and more.

Currently, the player doesn't really feel the disturbance even when he is standing two tiles away from it. It is all in the dialogue, not in reality. Consider that monster in Brimhaven, Basilik I think. The player had negative actor condition just by coming closer to that monster. That's one way we know that we have a formidable monster to face.

Would you be open to that as well? :)

3. And last one. Please. The Demon has low HP. Could be increased to say 450 or 500 HP or even 600HP. Or at least the BC can be increased more.

A player who is there to fight that demon would normally have 150+ or even 200+ HP and quite a good DMG and AC range. Which means when the player attacks first, which we all are gonna do anyway, the Demon would most likely be finished in 3-4 strikes. In one round. No kidding!

I actually reduced my BC a bit more by removing a gear just to get to see what the actor condition from the demon would feel like. In my previous attempt I slayed that demon in one round. Had to reload back. Hehe. :)

That's all. Thanks for the bringing the content within a month of last release.
A1: I thought I found all the loaders... :(
A2: no, it's just import. You could import several savegames at once after all

B1: maybe you start a new game and try out which level you need to do every quest? Then you'll have your challenge :mrgreen:
B2: good idea, it's already there: the increasing sense if danger is towards the graveyard, the demons grave - it grows darker with each map. And the text you get, like Antison said.
Nut
Antison

Post by Antison »

B2. You get that swarming in the cave with the three-eyed bats. I know it's not exactly what you were asking for but it does behave the same way as you describe.
charnameLol

Post by charnameLol »

Antison wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:46 pm B2. You get that swarming in the cave with the three-eyed bats. I know it's not exactly what you were asking for but it does behave the same way as you describe.
There are I think two or more hotspots where certain creatures (which can inflict Mind Fog or Fear) are found in a swarm in a relatively small map. They do try to close in and attack at once. I'm okay with that. Due to my careless attitude they did send me back to bed. :lol:

Oh, and I just saw the inventory. There's a new item with Curse of the Undead. I think I'll give that a try and see how that works with the Necklace.
charnameLol

Post by charnameLol »

Nut wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:40 pm B1: maybe you start a new game and try out which level you need to do every quest? Then you'll have your challenge :mrgreen:
Hehe. Yeah that might be it.

I'm beginning to see that builds with BC, say 120-170, would probably have more better experience/fun. I'll try that with a more watered down BC when the main game upgrade would be released.
Nut wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:40 pm B2: good idea, it's already there: the increasing sense if danger is towards the graveyard, the demons grave - it grows darker with each map. And the text you get, like Antison said.
I'm not good with subtle indicators I guess. I'm more like "go in that direction; there be tough monsters, and sorts " :lol:

You're right. This pattern of more darkness means progressively more fierce monsters has been there in other maps too. I just didn't realize this before.
Antison

Post by Antison »

Swarm to me the way you describe it is what we call "whole map" spawn where the monster to travel the whole map. Like the bats.
What you're referring to is what we call "protect others". This is where monster A and monster B share a spawn area or part of one and one of these monsters is defined to "protect others" in that spawn area. The last category is called "protect spawn" which allows a particular monster in that given spawn area to swarm you and protect the other monsters of that same type within that same spawn area.
charnameLol

Post by charnameLol »

Hi. Can anyone try using both the necklace of the undead and that new shield with the curse of the undead?

Using both of them has a jarring effect. By jarring effect, I mean that once you hit a monster you get animation of successful HP restoration -- one for the necklace and than for the the shield. So for each hit/strike there are two animation of HP restoration. On top of that if you manage to kill a monster in a single round, than there would be two more animations for HP restoration.

Let's say a player has 3AP and is able to kill a monster in four strikes. The total animations for HP restorations in a single round for a single monster would be:

2 * 4 + 2 = 10!

So 10 animations for one monster. That's what creates that disorienting effect. It is very uncomfortable to play when the HP restoration animation keep appearing so many times. I think a video might explain the situation a bit better.

Anyhow, to test this effect, bring your HP to 1/3 or half of total health first. Than try fighting a monster where you can exhaust all your AP. You'll see the effect. It is important to use 3 or 4AP weapon only, and that health should be half or lower. If HP fills up, the effect would not appear at all.
Antison

Post by Antison »

That's no different than dual wielding RoL
charnameLol

Post by charnameLol »

Antison wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:20 pm That's no different than dual wielding RoL
I suppose that RoL means Rapier of Lifesteal. If that's the case than it is not fair to suggest an item that the other person cannot test. RoL has to be grinded for. The items with curse of the undead have 100% drop chance so they can be tested easily.