questions

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
WogWolf
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

questions

Post by WogWolf »

Hello, I have two questions
1. Why doesn’t the torch obtained from the “yellow” quest illuminate the darkness in the tunnels like going to Prim or in the cave with the casuls? 2. Will there be a quest to clear the rubble to get to Prim faster?
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Re: questions

Post by Nut »

Also why are not all caves and cellars dark without torches at the wall? The ratdom caves are something special - and maybe they are not real at all but just a dream?

There were plans to clear the passage to Prim somehow, but it would be rather much work (most of all changing all the dialogues in Prim and Stoutford about the collapsed mine), so it was abandoned.
Maybe somebody might realize it someday, we'll see.
Nut
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Well, since nut didn't really answer your question directly, I will try to do so. The darkness is part of the challenge of the collapsed mine tunnel system. But the challenge in Ratdom it's not the darkness, so you get the touch.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
WogWolf
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by WogWolf »

But when I wake up, I can again find myself in the rat maze and use the same torch to light the way
Lam al Adie
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by Lam al Adie »

Some dreams are strong and linger on…
Or perhaps that is some sort of tel'aran'rhiod
Lam 'al Adie (pd)
Lvl:68 XP: 5728519 AP: 12/3 HP: 204 AC: 228 AD: 43-55 BC: 164 DR: 7
Skills: WA: 1 Do: 4 CS: 2 IF: 4 Ev: 2 Reg: 1 WP:1S: 1 AP:S: 1 FS:WS: 2 S:WS: 1
ROLS: 1 GoLF: 1
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

WogWolf wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:20 am But when I wake up, I can again find myself in the rat maze and use the same torch to light the way
What does that have to do with anything?

Look it. Do you want the technical answer?
The technical answer is that torch has to be configured on every map to eliminate the darkness. We did it in the rat caves because the challenge is not the darkness, it's the maze. In the mine cave the challenge is the darkness so you don't get the torch. In order to get the torch to work there, we'd have to rewrite all of the maps
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
tactical371
android_version: 2.0

Post by tactical371 »

Antison wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:04 pm
WogWolf wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:20 am But when I wake up, I can again find myself in the rat maze and use the same torch to light the way
What does that have to do with anything?

Look it. Do you want the technical answer?
The technical answer is that torch has to be configured on every map to eliminate the darkness. We did it in the rat caves because the challenge is not the darkness, it's the maze. In the mine cave the challenge is the darkness so you don't get the torch. In order to get the torch to work there, we'd have to rewrite all of the maps
He is looking for the in-universe answer. Otherwise, the fact that the torch does not work in the Prim tunnels is a plot-hole. Plot-holes affect game immersion.

The in-universe answer given, that the rat caves were some sort of dream, results in the plot-hole of being able to visit the caves while awake and being able to use the torch there. What about making it so that the character can visit the caves after the quest but first must fall asleep in his bed at home?
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

Nice idea. Although that leaves the questions about the items got in ratdom cave - where does these items come from?
Anyway I think we let this like it is.
There are other questionable things like why boars drop boots, why most beasts drop gold and even jewels, why there never is sunset/night, why you don't need to eat and drink, why you cant walk over certain flowers or tree stumps, ...
It's not all logical, but that's also part of the game.
Nut
tactical371
android_version: 2.0

Post by tactical371 »

In games with monster drops, I tend to assume that the monsters got the items by killing other humans that owned those items.
Raphi
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by Raphi »

Interesting thoughts. I played AT for so long now, my brain just assumes it is totally normal that boars drop boots etc. I would be quite confused if they would suddenly stop :lol:
Lvl: 68, XP: 5705044, Gold: 104341, RoLS: 1
Hp: 244, AC: 282, AD: 20-31, BC: 157, DR: 6
Hat o t protector
Knight's hauberk
JoF
LifeTaker
Blade o t protector
Ring o t protector
RolS
Gloves o t guardian
Boots o t Globetrotter